Big Team Battle Map - Testing Session

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Big Team Battle Map - Testing Session

Spaztar Sorrena
Hey all. I recently started work on a Big Team Battle map, and I hope to have a testable mass out finished soon, before the end of the year. Although it isn't finished yet, I wanted to get the word out now that I would need testers, so I wouldn't be caught with my pants down trying to gather people come testing day.

The map is going to be a symmetrical and built for CTF, Big Team Slayer, Territories, and possibly Stockpile as well. I originally hoped to build this map on the landbridge connecting the cave underneath Alaska to the Island. However, I quickly ran into a plethora of issues.

One concerned the orientation of this area relative to the angle snap of Forge world. The is at roughly a 30 degree snap according to my measurements, so it makes coordinate symmetry and object placement both imprecise and time consuming. The imprecision of the tools and time consuming nature of Halo 3 Forge is primarily what turned me off to it, so encountering the problem in Reach is something I don't want to deal with.

The other issue concerned the height disparity between the two sides. Depending on where you were standing Red side (the Island) was anywhere between 0.6 and 2.2 units higher than blue side (the beach in front of the cave). This meant that the sides were naturally uneven before I even placed a block down. It took me until I started work on the bases for me to realize how severe the issue was. Just looking at it, there doesn't seem to be a very noticeable height difference between the sides, but once you start building the same thing on both sides at the same height and symmetrical location, it's clear that there's a serious difference. As soon red base started to be sunken halfway into the ground, it was the last straw.

Therefore, as much as Big Team battle maps are overdone there, I'm moving to project to the Canyon. I'll live, but I did want to build a symmetrical map in that location because I liked the aesthetic contrast between each team side, and I had never seen a symmetrical map done in that area. Perhaps another time.

What was I saying again? Oh right. Testing. Sorry. Kind of went off on a tangent there, didn't I? =P

Anyways, I would like to get testing done either before or after the New Year, and want to know who is interested so I can start planning a time for it to happen.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Big Team Battle Map - Testing Session

FuN Fortress
Send me an invite when you can, if I'm not busy at all I can be there.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spaztar Sorrena
Thanks Fortress. Just to get an idea of when I'd like to do this, when are you generally free in the coming days?
Reply | Threaded
|

GodlyPerfection
Administrator
How about trying to get a version done for the game day on Saturday? And I will definitely be there and help you fill the room don't worry bro. ;)

URL: http://i55.tinypic.com/13yi6va.png

Wanna help spread the word about ReachingPerfection.com at other sites? Use the image above and link back to us.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spaztar Sorrena
As long as I push forward on working on it, I don't see why I shouldn't have a playable version finished by the 30th. The only concern I have so far is that I'm a bit shaky on whether or not the area that I'm forging in will comfortably support 16 players.

I'm building it by the beach end of the Canyon, and the playable space is only going to be about 60 x 120 x 40 blocks. I'm hoping the center structure I'm building will be able to comfortably house infantry while allowing enough terrain to be open on the ground for vehicle combat. We shall certainly see come testing day. Honestly, I think it would be phenomenal if I could get this map to work for both Big Team Battle and 4v4, but if it proves too cramped a playing space for BTB, I could certainly try to optimize it for 4v4.

Then again, if Bungie thought having Atom in the Big Team Battle hopper was all fine and dandy, I suppose anything is possible. =P

And thanks for being magnetic to getting testers, man. That'll really take the burden off in trying to organize a 16 man testing session.
Reply | Threaded
|

GodlyPerfection
Administrator
No problem bro... it is one of my ways of helping you guys out. ;) Getting large playtest groups is a difficult thing.

URL: http://i55.tinypic.com/13yi6va.png

Wanna help spread the word about ReachingPerfection.com at other sites? Use the image above and link back to us.