classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
 |  6 messages Options
Reply | Quote | Edit |  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Breakneck Invasion Strategy

mrgreenwithagun
MrGreenWithAGun
This post was updated on .
I was attempting to delete this topic (thread), but apparently all I did was delete the first post.

If anyone knows how to get rid of this thread, please tell me...
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

Re: Breakneck Invasion Strategy

La7ham
La7ham
Lathers8
I like the look of this. The one problem i have with the map itself is where the construction tower is the ground area it is very awkward to get the warthog back onto the streets.You got plenty of paths to the objectives, you are using most of the map which should help. Otherwise this map could be the best forged invasion map I reckon.
"I'm going to split you like a log" "RAAAAAAA"
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

GodlyPerfection
RP Founder
Irrelephancy
GodlyPerfection
So since you have the paths drawn out this is going to be MUCH easier to help set this up. One thing that most of us should know from experience is that people will more than likely take the shortest route from point A to point B... spawn to objective. So the one or two shortest routes have a huge incentive already. Now to kind of spread out combat a little bit and encourage more variety and use of the map I would place incentives on the longer paths. These incentives should act as secondary objectives... if you grab this secondary objective it can give your team a sway in advantage. This is how Brink pulls off a very effective invasion style system.

In Halo we are sort of limited since these secondary objectives aren't built into the gametype's scripting. Our options are pretty much turret positions, power weapons, and vehicles. Not only that, but because we have no strong waypoint on them and because they are not the main objective they will be heavily ignored so we have to find ways to draw attention to them. Another thing to consider is that these secondary objectives need to be contested to make them interesting. They need to be approximately center of the offense and defense fireteam (for some secondary objectives it may be better to place it closer to either team to encourage defending the secondary objective [defense] or keeping the secondary objective [offense]) associated with it so the defense can maintain control of the secondary objective to deprive the offense of this bonus. Invasions needs these secondary objectives to keep gameplay interesting and give it better replay value to allow for teams to learn new strategies and learn what to prioritize and when.

For phase 1 I think the two best places for secondary objectives could be in the below locations Z1 and Y1. Z1 is between both B fireteams. If your b1 objective is on the ground floor rather than the upper level (on the way to the man cannon) then Z1 could actually work as a turret station that the defense has easier access to to control the objective, but offense B fireteam has the option to go a back route to take the turret station and make capturing b1 objective easier. Y1 secondary objective is a bit closer to offense A fireteam so a turret station might not be optimal for this location. Perhaps a power weapon of sorts could sit here and respawn frequently enough with a high maximum (so it continues to respawn on the clock) so that it would be checked for often.

Phase 2 and 3 are a bit more difficult since they take place in the same general area, but when you transfer into the building from 2 to 3 some secondary objectives may not be as useful as they once were. You can use this to your advantage because if your b2 objective is slightly outside you could have a turret station hitting b2 and as soon as phase transitions the player would feel inclined to leave the turret station and move towards the next objective. During this time you could add area introduction techniques to introduce where the new secondary objective is so that support player can continue their support role. Not sure how a secondary objective between A fireteams is going to work.

I'd love to work with you on this. Invasion needs a really good map made for it and I think Breakneck could really prove to be the optimal canvas on the new maps for Invasion due to its size and complexity. I'd love to see the 3rd phase turn into a more aggressive old school one bomb on Headlong with offense having more aggressive spawns that are closer to the bomb plant because they earned that ground in the previous phases. Each phase needs a new bit of variety added to it, so I feel that the objective progression should go infantry territories phase 1, minor vehicular territories phase 2, and a heavy vehicular third phase. The main issue is the bomb being indoors in the final phase reduces the impact of vehicles in every case except for bomb transport. The cool thing about bomb spawning all the way back at backfield spawn is that you start in a vehicle and if the bomb gets reset you can quickly re-apply the pressure without worrying too much about the bomb spawn being camped.

URL: http://i55.tinypic.com/13yi6va.png

Wanna help spread the word about ReachingPerfection.com at other sites? Use the image above and link back to us.
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

mrgreenwithagun
MrGreenWithAGun
I like the idea of using turrets as incentives for paths and as secondary objectives. They make sense. They are not power weapons laying around, which sort of breaks the invasion style game and focus. I can see laying some plasma grenades at Y1, but more toward the steps, a little further from A's spawns. That would be a strong incentive to take that route, but whether they see them the first time I doubt it.

The greatest incentives to go the back routes I thought would be to use the buildings for cover. a2 is a double edge sword. It has the defenders spawning right above (but I need to change this, I am working on how to change this currently), and yet the rest of the map is out of sight along that path. If crouched, an attacker can slowly move their way to a2, or even a3 with the bomb. But I don't want to rely on that alone, since invasion is short on time as it is.

And I am glad someone noticed the importance of the bomb spawning way back out of sight of the defenders. My other motive for the bomb spawn location was that it actually makes sense and strengthens the cohesion of the game story line.

A lot of good ideas, Godly. I appreciate it, and will update these drawings as I progress...
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

mrgreenwithagun
MrGreenWithAGun
So we played the design with the core in the back corner and the feedback I received indicated that there was (a) too much congestion, (b) too much one dimensional game play (the corridors leading to the core, and (c) too much vertical travel for the players to over come.

For (a) & (b), this means the core in the back corner is off the table, so it is likely that the construction tower is the best objective site.

And (c) is a problem for the canvas in general. The palette handed to us with the canvas gives us a door, a short beam, and a decorative cover piece, but no matching catwalk. Therefore, it will be tough to build out catwalks and ramps that can maintain cohesion with the canvas aesthetics. This leaves us with few options to overcome the vertical movements, such as man cannons and teleporters. And I don't know how well either of those strengthen or weaken cohesion with the theme of a city protected by Spartans from invading Elites.
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

mrgreenwithagun
MrGreenWithAGun
Updated this thread with the latest layout information with pics. I have yet to test it, due to party needing CEA DLC, but you can get an idea of where I am heading with this now.