9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Deadwalk and Powerless

Randy 355
This post was updated on .
These are my submissions to the RP Build Challenge 1. The are based off of Boardwalk and Powerhouse. Feel free to give some constructive critisisms or compliments. I am not extremely savvy with infection forging, so go ahead and call me out on any mistakes I may have made.

Deadwalk
New Alexandria’s civilian concourses provide access to tasty brains and views of Reach’s last survival outposts. 4-12 players

Loadout Camera. Scenic.

Some crates on palettes. Gives cover for the zombies, and it also kinda gives it an abandoned, creepy look. Kinda.

That palette is fixed, and zombies can use it to get on the edge above. If you fall down that hole towards rocket hall, you will die. It's blocked.

The area behind those dumpsters is blocked by a soft kill barrier. It goes all the way to the Rest Stop 2nd floor. It's all blocked to make it more fair for zombies.

Rest Stop stairs is covered in crates. Maybe shit went down?

Powerless
Hydroelectric plants like this one provide fresh, delectable brains for the infected on Reach. 2-8 players

Loadout Camera.

Overview. You can see the Powerhouse boarded up, and some stuff in the water below. The dumpster in view is a great jumping platform for the infected.

The covenant antenna can be used to reach the roof. The reciever can be broken to prevent zombies (or allies, especially allies) from getting up. Won't stop zombies though, there are other ways up for them.

Shower blocked.

That wall of light is the exterior of the Soft Safe Area barrier. No more people running to the edge of the map to bore up the game. Time to use the map!

Both maps can be found at the following link, along with rendered flythroughs of each, respectively:
Deadwalk/Powerless File Set
Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: Deadwalk and Powerless

Randy 355
BS Angel wrote
Living Dead updated.

Zombies need games to go along with their brains, which is why we updated this playlist to include the following new spooky map variants: blahblahblahblah Deadwalk, Powerless, blahblah, and blah.

But in all seriousness, congrats to the authors of the other maps as well!
Reply | Threaded
|  

DavidJCobb
Administrator
In reply to this post by Randy 355
Your face when. Would that be fair to say?

Seriously, though, congrats, man! :)
Reply | Threaded
|  

Randy 355
Exactly!

And thanks, Cobb! Seriously, a lot of my go to help sources were yours. You gave me some insight and tested of course. So thank you and thanks RP!
Reply | Threaded
|  

A Haunted Army
ah, so this is deadwalk and powerless..

i expect you put kill barriers behind some of the glass on deadwalk where the survivors get a big advantage because they can shoot through it while the zombies cannot hit them so easily,  other then this it looks pretty solid and much more balanced, going to have to play on it to find out though.

powerless i'm not sure if i played or not but i'm interested in see how explosive those power cores in the power house will be.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Randy 355
Oh, Deadwalk is littered in soft kills. I got as many spots behind the glass as I could find. I assure you if there are any left they will be annihilated for the next update.

I already got an XBL message saying "I hope to god 343 doesn't use Deadwalk." lol I feel so official! :) Told him he doesn't have to like it, and to post constructive criticism on the forums.

As for the explosive cores, they can be used as a distraction when used by both humans or zombies, but unfortunately seem to do no damage. Let me know what you think when you play it.
Reply | Threaded
|  

DavidJCobb
Administrator
My observations from a forge-through and from gameplay, following your request for me to examine the Deadwalk:

There may be out-of-map exploits that you did not fix. Contact Psychosis from RP for information.

The metal pallet ramp near the yellow light: it's misleading. The hardkill below it is impossible to anticipate unless you've played on or read about the map beforehand. This is... well, not good.

West side of the map, below the curved walkway: you need more cover here. This area is too open; two or three Magnum heroes can chill here for a good while. This flaw existed on the base map as well. If there were some way to allow only Zombies to access the above area, then death-from-above could be a feasible strategy; alas, I don't think this is possible without taking the serious risk of Human exploits getting them into this upper area.

The map feels very open. You bit off more than anyone can chew with this. Zombies are too visible from afar, cross-mapping is annoyingly common, and some areas -- the corner of the map where the behind-the-glass exploit ends, for example -- are so open that one man can hold them down against two Zombies using the shotgun with ridiculous ease.

I don't think there's a practical way for you to cut off any more of the map than you already have, due to the budget's limitations. This is a problem simply because there's too much open space on the map for you to balance optimally. This is better than Boardwalk, and when judging it relative to what you had to work with, it's good, but... in an absolute sense -- not relative to the base map, not relative to the limitations you had to work with, but just on its own -- Deadwalk is not enjoyable to play on.

If I remember, I'll try to get you opinions on the updated Powerless. I expect it to be better than Deadwalk, as the base map is just as open but not nearly as large.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Randy 355
This post was updated on .
Thank you for the review Cobb. Your points are fair, and understandable. Not easy to work with, and some of my fixes are quite double edged and even a bit unfair to players. Though, I have taken it into my responsibility and I am going to do my best to make this as tolerable as I can, if not enjoyable. I will take your criticism and see what I can do with it for the next update. Thank you.

I've always been a bit more proud of Powerless, and I do think it has a great deal more potential for infection than Deadwalk. Looking forward to your review of that as well.

Edit:
DavidJCobb wrote
The metal pallet ramp near the yellow light: it's misleading. The hardkill below it is impossible to anticipate unless you've played on or read about the map beforehand. This is... well, not good.
As of this morning, I have taken your feedback and others feedback and went to work on Deadwalk.

I completely removed the Kill Barrier on rocket spawn, and removed the dumpsters blocking the hall. It's now completely open. At the end of the hall, however, I added a two-way teleporter. Now it will be much harder to defend this area because the teleporter adds a new risk. Oh, and there is a soft kill directly on it, so nobody can block it.
DavidJCobb wrote
West side of the map, below the curved walkway: you need more cover here. This area is too open; two or three Magnum heroes can chill here for a good while. This flaw existed on the base map as well. If there were some way to allow only Zombies to access the above area, then death-from-above could be a feasible strategy; alas, I don't think this is possible without taking the serious risk of Human exploits getting them into this upper area.

This is where rocket spawn's teleporter leads. There is a door in the corner below the stairs to the blocked balcony. It resides there, so zombies could use it as a flank on players defending there.

I also managed to up the budget, and add a lot more cover down there. It will now be much more comfortable for the infected to approach.

The map is still fairly open, but there is really nothing I can do about that. The fixes I am providing should make this map much less frustrating to play on, at least, that's how I feel. I would like to test this asap.

Again, thank you for the feedback, it was very helpful.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Randy 355
I have uploaded the new version of Deadwalk to my Fileshare, and Fyrewulff is submitting it to 343.

Get it here if you want to have a look. It includes the changes above this post.
Powerless 1.2