Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Design Article Chatter

noklu
Administrator
I guess that's a good enough title.

This thread is a discussion room for front page articles. I was going to hold this in an email conversation with myself and Zenos, but I figured that putting on the forums was a better idea because then the conversation is opened up to anyone.

ZenosParadox wrote
noklu wrote
How about you give it a try, and send on some drafts to xnoklu.admn [at] gmail.com (I used to have just xnoklu but then that email got clogged...). If you can think of anything you can write about, have a go. I started off writing a few things because I was interested and I thought I had a couple of decent ideas. A couple of my articles were also essentially transmissions of ideas from other fields, like architecture or the psychology of creativity.

Cool. Can I get a topic?
Well, game design is a large area. It goes from story to level design to gameplay mechanics, and every single area has many subfields. Take level design, for example. It has incentives and deterrents, flow and bases, spawning and weapon locations. It's a very hard question to answer that you've given me, especially since I don't know what interests you. I suggest reading Godly's Forge Lessons and seeing if anything there sparks your mind.

You play Armored Core, don't you. If you have much experience with games like Halo or CoD, where each player essentially is identical - the only difference is weapon and slight loadout differences - you could compare the versatility of customised mechs in AC to the more generic modelling of other games. One is not necessarily better or worse than the other, but there are differences and vast implications for how the game is played.
The otters are coming with whiskers honed to razor blades.
Know this and fear.

Email me at xnoklu[at]gmail.com should you need to contact me.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: Design Article Chatter

Sash
Administrator
How did I get here?!

Well, on to topic...

Thanks for the ideas noklu, I'll see what sparks my Muse. I'll see if I can send a few drafts your way over the holidays, I'll have tons of time and excuses to write then. It's finals week though, so I'm going to have to lie low till I get through them. Thanks again, this seems fun!
Light can be just as blinding as Darkness. Bring some Sunglasses.
Reply | Threaded
|  

SwiiTcHBacK
In reply to this post by noklu
This stuff sounds really interesting. I will say there are many "faults" in the design of the newest armoured core due to the games huge customisability, level design and the fact that the devs perhaps didn't foresee what the game would become with the huge overhaul they tried to impose. There's also the factor of competitive vs recreational play. Competitive play in ACV produces really boring dynamics: Players sticking to miniscule portions of the map, particularly as there's no objective or insentive given to get them to move. They can win by sitting there as the person with AP lead from the start will win if noone shoots, so naturally they do. This is particularly problematic in open maps where players will find a piece of cover that they can alternate sides of and long range play becomes obsolete. The shape of the "cover" provided on the map needs to be changed or removed in certain places dramatically to fix this. Make the cover Rounder and without sharp edges on open maps would fix people just going around a corner to get out of a long range weapons sights and force people to try to close in on a long range mech in order to win..

With my experience in competitive CoD an example would be corner campers. If given no insentive to move (games like team deathmatch/cagematch) players who want to win will most often not move and find the easiest place not to be found/seen in order to win once in the lead. Too many obscure corners makes the gameplay experience horrible with respect to finding someone if they get just one kill ahead. You're on a fairly large map with ridiculous amounts of corners that you have to progress through so slowly to check each one. If they get a second kill once you finally do find them you have to do this twice more to even be on even ground! Which is the problem with newer CoDs for me. They add way more details to make the maps look cooler but it ruins the gameplay experience.

Ye.. I'm gonna stop myself here as I'm basically writing an article right now.. Probably not a very good one but still :P.

Reply | Threaded
|  

noklu
Administrator
I certainly agree with this. It ties in with a couple of thoughts I have been thinking in the past...ten minutes.
Know this and fear.

Reply | Threaded
|  

Sash
Administrator
noklu wrote
I certainly agree with this. It ties in with a couple of thoughts I have been thinking in the past...ten minutes.
I never did motivate myself to do this... Shesh, life got so busy. Well I did follow up on my fanfic idea and actually got going on that idea. I'll try and... oh wait, I had a philosophical burst about metagames back when that whole Sunn brawl was happening. I'll go find that for you, it may prove to be good material.
Light can be just as blinding as Darkness. Bring some Sunglasses.
Reply | Threaded
|  

noklu
Administrator
In reply to this post by noklu
Metagames. Meta got fashionable after inception (there's probably no correlation; I just like to say it).

What was your fanfic idea?

I also have an article idea about hyper-realism and shooters - there's a brief post elsewhere on the forums about it, and it is kind of similar to what Switchback was going on about.
Know this and fear.