Don't touch that flag!!

Posted by Nikatorus Nikatorus  
Report Content as Inappropriate
      Options
There is a new feature Nabble has graciously provided us with, and that is the new Reporting Flag thingy. Now, we have determined that any reportings, lets call them "flags," are handled directly by Nabble. This means this is not a toy.

Twice this has been used out of context. The first was by me, in an effort to determine the nature of the system. The second was by someone else who did not know the outcome as well.

We have been warned by Nabble that contiued abuse will result in consequences. Lets show them we can be mature individuals and not touch the -Forge!-ing Flag!!

28 Comments

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
Thrashh Thrashh
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  

Re: Don't touch that flag!!

Reported.
DavidJCobb DavidJCobb
Reply | Threaded
|  

Thrashh wrote
Reported.
I do hope you're joking.
GodlyPerfection GodlyPerfection
Reply | Threaded
|  

In reply to this post by Thrashh
FLAG DROPPED!!!

lol... but seriously what Nik said. Be good you guys.

URL: http://i55.tinypic.com/13yi6va.png

Wanna help spread the word about ReachingPerfection.com at other sites? Use the image above and link back to us.
Thrashh Thrashh
Reply | Threaded
|  

In reply to this post by DavidJCobb
DavidJCobb wrote
Thrashh wrote
Reported.
I do hope you're joking.
Do you now...
MythicFritz MythicFritz
Reply | Threaded
|  

Since the flag was just added, I hope they consider it in "beta" so to speak. After applying a feature like that, I think it's ridiculous for them to expect to not have any problems. It's the internet for goodness sake.
FuN Fortress FuN Fortress
Reply | Threaded
|  

I think they're just butthurt people with too much time on their hands. "You're the only ones abusing it!" Out of what, supposedly thousands of forums? How many of those are ACTIVE? I bet three are. Seriously, don't yell at US for testing the features of YOUR forums when YOU couldn't even do something like a forwarded email to the people running the forums about updates. Don't be lazy or get the fuck out. I came this close |--| to reporting HIS goddamned post.
Nikatorus Nikatorus
Reply | Threaded
|  

Fort, you seem to be expecting a lot from a free forum. I do agree we should have gotten some notice about how the feature worked, but acting out of anger wont help any.
Currently: Temporarily Active
Reply | Threaded
|  

In reply to this post by FuN Fortress
FuN Fortress wrote
I think they're just butthurt people with too much time on their hands. "You're the only ones abusing it!" Out of what, supposedly thousands of forums? How many of those are ACTIVE? I bet three are. Seriously, don't yell at US for testing the features of YOUR forums when YOU couldn't even do something like a forwarded email to the people running the forums about updates. Don't be lazy or get the fuck out. I came this close |--| to reporting HIS goddamned post.
Trust me Fort, we understand your frustration. Regardless please be civil and professional instead of lashing out at those with more control than any of us have.

I have brought up the situation on the nabble support boards and have requested they add a member notification feature to notify all members of any features that are added. If you would like to give your PROFESSIONAL and CIVIL opinion in support then please feel free to do so. Remember that you represent RP on those forums.

http://nabble-support.1.n2.nabble.com/Requesting-Notifications-of-new-Features-td6592455.html

The more people that post there, the higher chance of us seeing our word heard.

Wanna help spread the word about ReachingPerfection.com at other sites? Use the image above and link back to us.
Reply | Threaded
|  

[thanks, Fortress]All I'm saying is don't expect for everybody to instantly know what a feature is going to do, and how it is going to function right off of the bat, especially without telling ANYBODY how it works. Yes, a flag system 'reports' a post, but who does that report go to? The admin of a particular forum (apparently the people who work Nabble as a whole, which I don't quite believe), or maybe the post just gets 'hidden' to whoever flagged it? Nobody knew, and on top of that we get reprimanded for something that wasn't adequately-explained.

As if that wasn't enough, expectations were so ridiculously-high to the point of the 'admins' expecting every single person to instantly know what was going on, and proceed to get all pissy when somebody else hits the button without knowing what it does. And about the SECOND instance of the 'flag incident', we've got people in different time zones, with different schedules and different routines using these forums, and not EVERY single person is going to read (or even NOTICE, which seemed to be the case here) the thread titled "Don't touch that flag!"; not everybody is going to instantly know what it means just by looking at the title, and not everybody is going to even LOOK at the thread (honestly, I don't look at half of the front page content myself, just to make a point).

Again, what I'm trying to say is: At set up some kind of forwarded message to go out to people who's emails are linked to Nabble that TELL them about updates. Don't leave people in the dark and expect for everything to go 100% perfect.
[/thanks, Fortress]

You're welcome, ego. A second note: Nabble should increase its 'memory threshold' so as to be able to contain said ego without crashing. Really, the fact that I can even load any part of the forums is a miracle in of itself.
DavidJCobb DavidJCobb
Reply | Threaded
|  

FuN Fortress wrote
You're welcome, ego. A second note: Nabble should increase its 'memory threshold' so as to be able to contain said ego without crashing. Really, the fact that I can even load any part of the forums is a miracle in of itself.
If you're having some technical issue with the forum, then please inform me of it and I can see what I can do.
Dj7291993 Dj7291993
Reply | Threaded
|  

Hey Cobb, I know we would need to discuss it before taking action on it, but is it possible to hide or remove the flag?  I'm not sure we really need it.  Not saying it was a bad idea overall, especially since most of nabble's forums are probably small and could use it, but I think we're pretty good about running our forum here.  Obviously, discussion before implementation, but I want to know if it is possible.  Thanks bro.

~Josh Hollinrake, Dj7291993

Email Me - Admin Message Box - My Portfolio

"Dreamers Dream, Doers Do, Achievers Achieve, But Champions Do It ALL." ~The Goads

"A man cannot directly choose his circumstances, but he can choose his thoughts, and so indirectly, yet surely, shape his circumstances." ~James Allen (As a Man Thinketh)

DavidJCobb DavidJCobb
Reply | Threaded
|  

Dj7291993 wrote
Hey Cobb, I know we would need to discuss it before taking action on it, but is it possible to hide or remove the flag? I'm not sure we really need it. Not saying it was a bad idea overall, especially since most of nabble's forums are probably small and could use it, but I think we're pretty good about running our forum here. Obviously, discussion before implementation, but I want to know if it is possible. Thanks bro.

As long as they don't change its className, that's entirely possible. It's directly selectable as img.report-flag, so I can hide it, resize it, change the pic...

noklu noklu
Reply | Threaded
|  

DavidJCobb wrote
FuN Fortress wrote
If you're having some technical issue with the forum, then please inform me of it and I can see what I can do.
Ah, Cobb, I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm...

In any case, I think we should get rid of the flag feature.
The otters are coming with whiskers honed to razor blades.
Know this and fear.

Email me at xnoklu[at]gmail.com should you need to contact me.
Nikatorus Nikatorus
Reply | Threaded
|  

I vote in favor of the removal.

Also, I think Thrashh was serious about reporting this thread. If you look over at Godly's thread on the Nabble forums, the employee dude said he got at least three reportings...one from my thread, and one from Noklu's thread, by my count. This leaves one more, assuming the amount of reportings on my thread only comprises one reporting to them.

If he was only joking, my apologies for accusing you.
If he wasn't, this only helps the argument against our maturity level and shows that some of us can't handle a feature such as this.
Currently: Temporarily Active
Reply | Threaded
|  

Nik I'm pretty sure there was two from the Don't flag me bro thread... and that is what triggered an admin to come here.

Go for the removal. I will continue to try to push for notification of these features that they don't want us to mess with. Please lend your support over in those forums.

http://nabble-support.1.n2.nabble.com/Requesting-Notifications-of-new-Features-td6592455.html#a6592859

Btw, they have been working on a templating system for Nabble, meaning that these forums could get a ton more customizable very soon. They said they were just making minor tweaks in the past week. Which means you could have some more fun and actually improve the forums Cobb. ;)

Reply | Threaded
|  

In reply to this post by noklu
noklu wrote
DavidJCobb wrote
FuN Fortress wrote
Ah, Cobb, I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm...

In any case, I think we should get rid of the flag feature.
It wasn't sarcasm at all, I'm entirely-sure that my ego is too much for any internet forum to handle.

Also, if the flag can be hidden, then I say do it. We've got a small enough forum to be able to know when something goes down.
Dj7291993 Dj7291993
Reply | Threaded
|  

In reply to this post by GodlyPerfection
Well, if everyone is for it, let's go ahead and remove it.  That way, it doesn't get us in any more trouble.  Then maybe we can come up with a solution to the flagging thing, as I'm not entirely against a report button, but only if we can handle the complaints.  If it's true that they'll be giving us more freedom, than I look forward to it.  Otherwise, they're starting to bug me.  Implementing all of these new features without giving us any control over them.  (ok, I guess it's not a ton, but without Cobb, we'd be stuck with them)

"Dreamers Dream, Doers Do, Achievers Achieve, But Champions Do It ALL." ~The Goads

"A man cannot directly choose his circumstances, but he can choose his thoughts, and so indirectly, yet surely, shape his circumstances." ~James Allen (As a Man Thinketh)

DavidJCobb DavidJCobb
Reply | Threaded
|  

In reply to this post by GodlyPerfection
GodlyPerfection wrote
Go for the removal.
The icon has been removed as per your request.

GodlyPerfection wrote
Btw, they have been working on a templating system for Nabble, meaning that these forums could get a ton more customizable very soon. They said they were just making minor tweaks in the past week. Which means you could have some more fun and actually improve the forums Cobb. ;)
Sweet. Hopefully, it'll be available on the free forums and not just the pay ones.
MythicFritz MythicFritz
Reply | Threaded
|  

The flag's gone, Cobb you're amazing
Dj7291993 Dj7291993
Reply | Threaded
|  

DavidJCobb wrote
The icon has been removed as per your request.
Yay!  Lol, I wonder if nabble realizes all of the changes we make to their forum?