Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Forum Modification Ideas

DavidJCobb
Administrator
This post was updated on .
UPDATE!

We are now able to edit the forum's NAML code. By now, you've probably already noticed some of the new features we've added with it. So please, feel free to suggest your ideas, and we'll see what we can do!

You can also check out some of the stuff we're actively working on by going to Testing Perfection, where we test out new features. Note that since that's a testing mirror, accounts here won't exist there, and things over there are liable to break at any time (RP should be unaffected).

Hello, everybody. Nabble recently released a little news update: in the near future, they will give us the ability to edit NAML, the template system they use to build their apps. And in the meantime, we can use a "See how NAML generates this page" link to view the NAML used on the forum.

In other words, we're about to get a whole lot more customization options. Now, we don't yet know how much we'll be able to edit things, but by my speculation is that we'll be able to edit the forum HTML, CSS, and JavaScript extensively... And since most of the forum's frontend runs on JavaScript in the first place, that would open up a huge number of possibilities.

Of course, we don't know what all of those possibilities are. So we need suggestions! What can we do to extend the forum? What features can we add? Whether you come up with the ideas on your own, or take some inspiration from other forums, we wanna hear it. If NAML has as many possibilities as it seems to, then I'm gonna have some fun tinkering with this forum -- and I'll need stuff to try out.

Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: Forum Modification Ideas

GodlyPerfection
Administrator
I will start.

- A user box in the top right that basically has your avatar, profile link, and other important links like personal settings, editting your sig, etc.
- A new topics button that shows topics posted in the past X time
- A possible rigged notification system tied to your portfolio so that when you have unread responses in your portfolio it will bold and (#) how many you have... could be in the userbox suggested above
- Possible link to your personal portfolio under your avatar on each of your posts (I'm skeptical on this because it could result in user segregation because those who don't have portfolio links obviously aren't members)
- Removal of your post count from under your avatar on posts... why? Because some people could look at you differently from your post count. Higher posts = older veteran member

And this is just the beginning my friend. :) I'm SOOO excited for getting rid of this damn forum look and making RP feel more homey.

URL: http://i55.tinypic.com/13yi6va.png

Wanna help spread the word about ReachingPerfection.com at other sites? Use the image above and link back to us.
Reply | Threaded
|  

DavidJCobb
Administrator
Show online users on forum index instead of burying it on its own page
Integrate some of my skin-based post formatting helpers into the buttons on the post editor
Reply | Threaded
|  

Dj7291993
Administrator
In reply to this post by GodlyPerfection
GodlyPerfection wrote
- Possible link to your personal portfolio under your avatar on each of your posts (I'm skeptical on this because it could result in user segregation because those who don't have portfolio links obviously aren't members)
Would it be possible to add a sort of account page?  So, when you click on the user's name, the page that shows there posts could be a bit prettier.  Maybe a short bio, a link to their portfolio, maybe a wall-type-thing.

Also, better messaging system (PMs)?  I know that may be a VERY big request, but would it be possible to integrate one?  I don't know a lot about what it would take, but it would be nice if there was something a little more... professional (not really the word I'm looking for, but my mind is dead tight now).  Not to draw activity away from the forum, but more to allow more of private conversations that, up till now, had to rely on alternate means of communication.  It would also allow you to share contact info with members that you want to get in touch with outside of gaming.  Just some thoughts.

~Josh Hollinrake, Dj7291993

Email Me - Admin Message Box - My Portfolio

"Dreamers Dream, Doers Do, Achievers Achieve, But Champions Do It ALL." ~The Goads

"A man cannot directly choose his circumstances, but he can choose his thoughts, and so indirectly, yet surely, shape his circumstances." ~James Allen (As a Man Thinketh)

Reply | Threaded
|  

GodlyPerfection
Administrator
Dj7291993 wrote
GodlyPerfection wrote
Would it be possible to add a sort of account page?  So, when you click on the user's name, the page that shows there posts could be a bit prettier.  Maybe a short bio, a link to their portfolio, maybe a wall-type-thing.

Also, better messaging system (PMs)?  I know that may be a VERY big request, but would it be possible to integrate one?  I don't know a lot about what it would take, but it would be nice if there was something a little more... professional (not really the word I'm looking for, but my mind is dead tight now).  Not to draw activity away from the forum, but more to allow more of private conversations that, up till now, had to rely on alternate means of communication.  It would also allow you to share contact info with members that you want to get in touch with outside of gaming.  Just some thoughts.
Sadly Nabble works on a everything is visible system. There is no way to hide information unless you email it to someone. However cobb and I were talking about setting up a pseudo PM system that could be setup using thread creation, and a specific forum or even the person's portfolio as a target.

As for setting up an account page, we cannot add any new information at all. We are only allowed to move around and modify information. Sure everyone could be required to make a post in a very specific format to be used as a source of information, but that would take too much work to pull the info in. As for a wall type thing, that is probably what we could do as the pseudo PM system. Each person would basically get a thread in a hidden forum and that thread would show up on their portfolio and you would post on their wall basically by replying to that thread. Again that is another shit ton of work. This isn't a fully featured system, but it does give us a ton more flexibility than we had before.

Wanna help spread the word about ReachingPerfection.com at other sites? Use the image above and link back to us.
Reply | Threaded
|  

DavidJCobb
Administrator
Well, there's a very remote and unlikely chance that they may give us some kind of custom DB fields, which would then allow us to add data. The author of Nabble's newspost said, "When you master the syntax and understand the commands, you will be able to build entire websites with it." So it's possible, though not confirmed, that we'd be able to add new data fields, i.e. an "About Me" blurb on profiles.
Reply | Threaded
|  

GodlyPerfection
Administrator
Copy-pasta'ed from the nabble support forums. Contains more ideas I came up with. Waiting for their reply to see what would be possible.

Source

Hugo <Nabble> wrote
DavidJCobb wrote
Regarding custom database fields, I'll certainly understand if they're not initially available when NAML first launches, and I'll certainly be grateful if they are.
We are discussing this internally, mainly because we already see a need for this feature. Let's see what happens.
DavidJCobb wrote
I do have a question regarding how everything ELSE would work with custom fields should such fields be available. Would we be able to create a special GUI that allows users to alter the value of a custom field? (That is, will there be documentation for writing forms allowing users to edit data?) If so, then such fields could allow everything from admin-only easily-alterable notices, to giving users an "About Me" blurb on their profile pages.
Yes, owners would be able to create forms and collect any data related to users and nodes. Here are some ideas that would use these custom properties:
 - We could create custom fields in the user profile page (e.g. city, country, gender, etc.);
 - We could create a form to enter custom meta tags for apps and posts. This would allow the owner to optimize each app or topic page for search engines;
 - We could create specific fields for nodes, like priority or assignee (our workgroup feature has these fields, but they are not generic at this point -- we would convert them into generic properties in this process);
DavidJCobb wrote
Most companies would keep something like this strictly-internal. The fact that you're releasing this is freaking awesome. Thank you. :)
You are welcome.

It is always great to hear that you guys are keeping the possibilities in mind. Custom fields could be a very powerful thing... we especially would like it for adding our XBL gamertags.

I haven't exactly thought about it quite yet or explored enough, but I'm curious as to whether or not a multi-quote feature could be added. This may require custom fields or something of the like to keep track of all posts that are targeted for multi-quoting, then when the reply link is hit the editor loads all of the selected posts in quotes into the editor automatically. There is a vBulletin plugin that does this and it is a very useful feature.

Also I just had the idea of building in an inline-reply editor rather than having to load another page. We are trying to come up with as many features to experiment with as possible so I'm just kind of throwing this down here to see what you guys think.

Another feature that a lot of members have been wanting was a private messaging system because sometimes email is just not convenient and feels a little out of the way. Under the NAML system can you think of a way that this might be achievable? As well as a notification system that doesn't require the use of storing cookies, but instead tracks what you have read server side. A notification system could be handy as well for favoriting topics and getting notified when those topics are replied to.

Another feature we are looking into is the creation of a "wall" like facebook has within a user's portfolio. From what I've seen so far I think this may be possible by creating a specific forum that would hold threads for each user that they would create by using a say "Create wall" link on their portfolio. The functionality would be very similar to vBulletin's visitor messaging system and would act as a very good substitute for a private messaging system if private messages are not possible. As of now if we need to contact anyone specifically we just start a thread with @Username as the subject in the spam folder. Having a more convenient way of messaging people would definitely be nice.

Reply | Threaded
|  

FeanorOnForge
A random idea could be a scrolling bar (similar to the one that displays birthdays now) that would track and display the latests maps updated in porfolios and the bottom of the page (near the add but not to be mistaken for one lol)

I was thinking if it was small and only linked the name/thumb of say the 10 most recently linked maps then it could be a form of incentive to visit others portfolios if somthing catches ones eye and to keep abreast of new content on the site. It could possibly track tags manually added to a post/thread in the portfolio when updating to know what to show/update.

the 2 issues I thought of while typing this:
Godly is very against segregating the community along portfolio lines and I totally agree with this, so if this might cause said segregation then ignore it.
I fully admit I have no idea about programing past basic website set-up and design so I have no idea how hard/plausable this would be.

Other idea was attachment of tags to portfolio maps so if I wanted to play oddball on only forgeworld maps then I could search those tags in a small sidebar and be shown appropriate content from the site, although this would mean alot of going through old posts and tagging for some ppl. (The search bar already does this a little, like searching for BTB brings up hreads with BTB in the name in portfolios but not in th same way as if someone dosnt add the type of other info into the title it cant track).
"Not all who wander are Lost"

GT: FEAN0RPHOENIX
Reply | Threaded
|  

Ramen 6378
In reply to this post by DavidJCobb
Looking at professional websites like Bungie's, I came up with a few ideas. I don't know if all of them will be possible with the new options that'll become available, as I'm no programmer.

1. A more accessible, streamlined user profile box at the top of the page, like what Bungie has right now. I like Bungie's profile box design, so maybe we could have the same format. Avatar, username, and sign in/out buttons are where they are according to the Bungie layout. Maybe we could have a personal post count where the H3 icon is, and a link to our portfolio (if we have one) where the Reach icon is. If you guys can get the RP active friends list working, then that could go right next to the H3 icon. I know that someone said that a PM system isn't really practical, but it would be very nice to have.

2. A "hot topic" symbol for topics with more than, say 30 replies.

3. Maybe a feature in which you could "scroll" through the replies when posting a comment? For example, there are 3 replies to a map feedback thread that I've made. I decide to reply to all of them at once, so I click on Person A's comment and type up my reply. However, with the current forum format, I have to either submit the comment and then edit it with Person B and C's replies or open up a new tab and copy/paste their replies to the preexisting reply before I can submit. However, if you could scroll through the replies in a thread, I could click a down icon next to Person A's response, and the page will pull up Person B's response without me having to do anything else. If I press down again, I'll be taken to C's response, and if I press up, then I'll go to A's response again.
Reply | Threaded
|  

GodlyPerfection
Administrator
In reply to this post by FeanorOnForge
FeanorOnForge wrote
A random idea could be a scrolling bar (similar to the one that displays birthdays now) that would track and display the latests maps updated in porfolios and the bottom of the page (near the add but not to be mistaken for one lol)

I was thinking if it was small and only linked the name/thumb of say the 10 most recently linked maps then it could be a form of incentive to visit others portfolios if somthing catches ones eye and to keep abreast of new content on the site. It could possibly track tags manually added to a post/thread in the portfolio when updating to know what to show/update.

the 2 issues I thought of while typing this:
Godly is very against segregating the community along portfolio lines and I totally agree with this, so if this might cause said segregation then ignore it.
I fully admit I have no idea about programing past basic website set-up and design so I have no idea how hard/plausable this would be.

Other idea was attachment of tags to portfolio maps so if I wanted to play oddball on only forgeworld maps then I could search those tags in a small sidebar and be shown appropriate content from the site, although this would mean alot of going through old posts and tagging for some ppl. (The search bar already does this a little, like searching for BTB brings up hreads with BTB in the name in portfolios but not in th same way as if someone dosnt add the type of other info into the title it cant track).

Keep in mind that this isn't a forge community... this is a design community. So as such we won't be specifically showcasing maps because eventually we may start gaining members who aren't here to show off their Halo stuff. Also maps aren't the only thing that can be put into portfolios so a tag system would have to be used and we would also need some way to grab one of the images to showcase it and resize the image to what we need. Right now we are looking for more forum usage convenience, again because we are not a forge community we are a design community. And also imagine how many tags for each post we would have to keep track of. And we would have to go through all of the current content to add these tags.

So again we are not Halo specific, and portoflios can contain any sort of content so that searching is sort of out of the question too. Unless we create a general tagging system like vB has... then again tags aren't really used by users all that much. Instead we would probably use tags for automated processes. Keep up the suggestions though bro. We will tell you how feasible it is to implement.

Reply | Threaded
|  

GodlyPerfection
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ramen 6378
Ramen 6378 wrote
Looking at professional websites like Bungie's, I came up with a few ideas. I don't know if all of them will be possible with the new options that'll become available, as I'm no programmer.

1. A more accessible, streamlined user profile box at the top of the page, like what Bungie has right now. I like Bungie's profile box design, so maybe we could have the same format. Avatar, username, and sign in/out buttons are where they are according to the Bungie layout. Maybe we could have a personal post count where the H3 icon is, and a link to our portfolio (if we have one) where the Reach icon is. If you guys can get the RP active friends list working, then that could go right next to the H3 icon. I know that someone said that a PM system isn't really practical, but it would be very nice to have.

2. A "hot topic" symbol for topics with more than, say 30 replies.

3. Maybe a feature in which you could "scroll" through the replies when posting a comment? For example, there are 3 replies to a map feedback thread that I've made. I decide to reply to all of them at once, so I click on Person A's comment and type up my reply. However, with the current forum format, I have to either submit the comment and then edit it with Person B and C's replies or open up a new tab and copy/paste their replies to the preexisting reply before I can submit. However, if you could scroll through the replies in a thread, I could click a down icon next to Person A's response, and the page will pull up Person B's response without me having to do anything else. If I press down again, I'll be taken to C's response, and if I press up, then I'll go to A's response again.
What did I say about reading the rest of the suggestions first? :P I already mentioned adding a user box with your avatar, username, and other stuff like possibly portfolio links, notifications if possible, etc.

Also your #3 is going to be solved with multi-quote buttons. You basically click on multiple posts that you want to quote and then when you press reply it automatically adds those posts to the message in quotes. But I do agree that having latest replies to the thread at the bottom of the editor would be useful as this is how it is done in vBulletin. However if we can get the inline reply editor working then there will be no need for this at all and you can just click quote on a post and it will add it to the inline reply box.

As for #2 I'm still not sure how I feel about hot topic symbols. While they pull attention to more popular topics, they pull attention AWAY from new topics that need the responses. I'd rather have a reverse style icon. Topics that have 5 or less replies have a sort of "Need replies" icon. Then when they have more than 5 replies they will lose the icon. This will end up pulling more attention to the topics that actually need the replies. Also when you see an icon like that you are drawn to it so this could trigger natural human tendencies to want to remove this icon... like the same impulse you get to get rid of notifications of new emails, PMs, etc, etc.

Reply | Threaded
|  

DavidJCobb
Administrator
GodlyPerfection wrote
Also your #3 is going to be solved with multi-quote buttons . . . But I do agree that having latest replies to the thread at the bottom of the editor would be useful as this is how it is done in vBulletin. However if we can get the inline reply editor working then there will be no need for this at all and you can just click quote on a post and it will add it to the inline reply box.
Why not do all three? It certainly looks like we'll be able to. :P
Reply | Threaded
|  

GodlyPerfection
Administrator
DavidJCobb wrote
GodlyPerfection wrote
Also your #3 is going to be solved with multi-quote buttons . . . But I do agree that having latest replies to the thread at the bottom of the editor would be useful as this is how it is done in vBulletin. However if we can get the inline reply editor working then there will be no need for this at all and you can just click quote on a post and it will add it to the inline reply box.
Wait all 3? All I see is the multi-quote button and the inline editor because if you have an inline reply box you don't need to show all the posts at the bottom of the page because you are still in the thread. Now if you could change pages on the thread while using the inline editor and not losing anything you typed that would be awesome.

Reply | Threaded
|  

FuN Fortress
I was thinking something like this:

Home Page

Top of Page: Latest Article(s) which could be set up in a 'series'-type deal like BNet, Halo.xbox, and such have (where it would auto-scroll through news and whatnot), below which would be the 5 most-recently replied-to forum topics.

Below that, if it's at all even possible, we could maybe have a bar similar to what XF and FH are doing with the 5 most-recent Portfolio updates. I was thinking that by frontpaging the actual area where our content is located, people will be more inclined to post on content (and flat out post content itself in general), and just plain be able to see it. I figure if it were more active, we could see a lot more design going on within RP, I mean that's what we are about I think.

Center of Page: Forum 'section' links (Serious Discussion, Spam Perfection, etc.), an Event Calender, and even some kind of notification area showing who's online on XBL.

Anyway, that's all I've got. If none of it's possible, just say (ver batim) "it's not possible"; I don't really care to understand the mechanics, jargon, et cetera behind it.
Reply | Threaded
|  

DavidJCobb
Administrator
In reply to this post by GodlyPerfection
GodlyPerfection wrote
DavidJCobb wrote
GodlyPerfection wrote
Wait all 3? All I see is the multi-quote button and the inline editor because if you have an inline reply box you don't need to show all the posts at the bottom of the page because you are still in the thread. Now if you could change pages on the thread while using the inline editor and not losing anything you typed that would be awesome.
Oh, were you thinking of actually turning the post itself into a full edit form, rather than having a "Quick Reply" box with simplified controls and a "Go Advanced" button? I could do that, but it'd be tricky. I'd probably go for Simp. Quick Reply + Multi-Quote + Show Prev. Posts On Full Reply first, as an intermediate step. And maybe afterward try for an integrated reply thing like what you're describing.
Reply | Threaded
|  

GodlyPerfection
Administrator
Not a full form, but an inline quick reply that appears directly under the post that you clicked reply to and then a "Go Advanced" button. And clicking reply with a quote would pull that quick reply box up with the post quoted and any other posts that were selected for multi-quoting.

For a good example of what I was talking about head to http://www.thecustomexperience.com Make an account and then find a thread with several replies and hit reply and you will see what I mean.

As for the stuff you mentioned Fun Fortress. Were you referring to the homepage as RP's homepage or the forum homepage? Because RP is staying the way it is, we are modifying the forum that is inside RP... not RP itself.

As for the portfolio stuff there is no standardized way of formatting content so displaying that content similar to XF would be difficult because not every portfolio thing would have a thumbnail. We could try to do it the forgehub way with just a list of topics, but not everything posted in a portfolio is content. Sometimes it is a notepad, or an index, or just a "this is what I did today" post. And the portfolio's are more of a way to stash what we want stashed for when we want to show people stuff. Not really a showcase for trying to gain popularity on our content like putting out maps on XF or FH is.

As for trying to get people to view or portfolio more that is why I was thinking about putting a "My Portfolio" link under our avatars in posts so people can look at your work if they want. Again with the possible user segregation thing.

Reply | Threaded
|  

Dj7291993
Administrator
well, I don't really feel like creating yet another forum account I'll never use, but ultimate subaru message board uses vbulletin too, so I have an idea what you're talking about (I think).  The thing I don't like about it is, if you hit reply, then decided you want to quote, it's too late.  I love being able to see all of the posts when replying, but the quoting there is a bit annoying too, imo.  Better, maybe, but if we're gonna redo it, let's do it right. ;)

"Dreamers Dream, Doers Do, Achievers Achieve, But Champions Do It ALL." ~The Goads

"A man cannot directly choose his circumstances, but he can choose his thoughts, and so indirectly, yet surely, shape his circumstances." ~James Allen (As a Man Thinketh)

Reply | Threaded
|  

GodlyPerfection
Administrator
Dj7291993 wrote
well, I don't really feel like creating yet another forum account I'll never use, but ultimate subaru message board uses vbulletin too, so I have an idea what you're talking about (I think).  The thing I don't like about it is, if you hit reply, then decided you want to quote, it's too late.  I love being able to see all of the posts when replying, but the quoting there is a bit annoying too, imo.  Better, maybe, but if we're gonna redo it, let's do it right. ;)
The message board you are referring to uses vB 3.7.4... the feature I am talking about exists in vB 4.0+. Imagine this... you hit reply on a post... directly under the post you hit reply to a "Quick Reply" text box appears. You are still in the thread and have not left the page. If you forgot to quote something then you can scroll over to the post and hit quote and it will pop up into the Quick Reply box. If you need more advanced editing then you hit "Go Advanced" and it takes everything you typed and brings it to the screen at which we normally make our replies. Before you hit reply you could hit "Multi-Quote" on stuff and then when you have selected everything you want to quote you hit reply on a post and it brings up the editor right under that post with every post that you multi-quoted already in there and quoted for you.

Reply | Threaded
|  

Dj7291993
Administrator
GodlyPerfection wrote
Dj7291993 wrote
[blah, blah, blah]
The message board you are referring to uses vB 3.7.4... the feature I am talking about exists in vB 4.0+. Imagine this... you hit reply on a post... directly under the post you hit reply to a "Quick Reply" text box appears. You are still in the thread and have not left the page. If you forgot to quote something then you can scroll over to the post and hit quote and it will pop up into the Quick Reply box. If you need more advanced editing then you hit "Go Advanced" and it takes everything you typed and brings it to the screen at which we normally make our replies. Before you hit reply you could hit "Multi-Quote" on stuff and then when you have selected everything you want to quote you hit reply on a post and it brings up the editor right under that post with every post that you multi-quoted already in there and quoted for you.
Ahh, ok.  That sounds awesome then.

Reply | Threaded
|  

DavidJCobb
Administrator
So an overhaul of the replying system; a user login box; list of new topics; hidden postcounts; more findable online user list. That's pretty much the gist of what's been said here.

Looking also at suggestions that require custom DB fields: extended profile functionality; Walls; PMs. Hell, we could even automate the birthday marquee if we wanted.

Anything else?
1234 ... 7