Game Design Discussion

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Game Design Discussion

MDFlash
I tried to post in the game design discussion forum earlier but the page currently forces me to post in the "Aggro Discussion" subforum.  It is not currently allowing posts to the general page.  Either that, or I'm simply missing something obvious... Anyway, just letting you know.
Dies omnis est donum.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Game Design Discussion

noklu
Administrator
Users who are not yet full members (i.e., don't have portfolios) cannot post in the Game Design Forum. This is done to prevent any member entering and spamming that forum with unnecessary threads -- I know you wouldn't, but the rule must be the rule.
There will be a promotion round in the near future.
The otters are coming with whiskers honed to razor blades.
Know this and fear.

Email me at xnoklu[at]gmail.com should you need to contact me.
Reply | Threaded
|

MDFlash
In reply to this post by MDFlash
Ah.  Nope, that's fine; I completely understand that.  Thanks.
Dies omnis est donum.
Reply | Threaded
|

external memory
In reply to this post by MDFlash
Right now that forum is Map Design Discussion +all over the place; you've got most threads, that get really specific to designing for Forge maps, a thread about a certain genre, a thread that starts ambiguous about racing game tracks end up being about Forge maps, threads that start seemingly specific to one game but end up being about games in general.

Compound this with the fact that mostly people who are/were Halo forgers AND post regularly get portfolios (which is fair they are active and they presumably have content to share) but everyone down to the ACV RP users plays games and it seems there's no clear subforum encouraging discussion of game design in general on a site that claims to be a place for discussing/improving game design!

Yeah, I know there's the SD general forum, but we discuss Kony and the existence of God in there alongside pimping new/obscure games we're stoked about.

TL;DR- either you all should add more general topics to GDD (covering genre discussions, reward systems, input/movement mechanics, etc.) make me a member again so I can take a crack at it, or add another SD subforum for Game Design General and make the member-level forum Map Design Discussion.

I know, though, people be busy, and I know there are reasons for arriving at the current setup. It should just make more sense.
EXEM
Reply | Threaded
|

noklu
Administrator
external memory wrote
Right now that forum is Map Design Discussion +all over the place; you've got most threads, that get really specific to designing for Forge maps, a thread about a certain genre, a thread that starts ambiguous about racing game tracks end up being about Forge maps, threads that start seemingly specific to one game but end up being about games in general.

Compound this with the fact that mostly people who are/were Halo forgers AND post regularly get portfolios (which is fair they are active and they presumably have content to share) but everyone down to the ACV RP users plays games and it seems there's no clear subforum encouraging discussion of game design in general on a site that claims to be a place for discussing/improving game design!

Yeah, I know there's the SD general forum, but we discuss Kony and the existence of God in there alongside pimping new/obscure games we're stoked about.

TL;DR- either you all should add more general topics to GDD (covering genre discussions, reward systems, input/movement mechanics, etc.) make me a member again so I can take a crack at it, or add another SD subforum for Game Design General and make the member-level forum Map Design Discussion.

I know, though, people be busy, and I know there are reasons for arriving at the current setup. It should just make more sense.
It is a mish-mash. I'll put that on a to-do list.

And it is only natural that a user-oriented forum (which is very much what I believe this place to be) would tend towards Halo Forge design issues when the majority of the population is are Halo forgers!
The otters are coming with whiskers honed to razor blades.
Know this and fear.

Email me at xnoklu[at]gmail.com should you need to contact me.
Reply | Threaded
|

external memory
noklu wrote
And it is only natural that a user-oriented forum (which is very much what I believe this place to be) would tend towards Halo Forge design issues when the majority of the population is are Halo forgers!
Oh, absolutely. One reason why I can't quit this place; it's whatever the users put into it. That, and most of my vidya friends post on here.

I likely wouldn't even have any qualms about the new structure if I'd come back from my hiatus without having deleted my first nabble account. Happening to be a user without membership and portfolio privileges again just gave me a new perspective on it, minor as it may be.
EXEM