|  9 messages Options
Reply | Quote | Edit |  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Guide to Map Design by Forgers

GodlyPerfection
RP Founder
Irrelephancy
GodlyPerfection
This post was moved from a deleted location by noklu on .
This post was updated on .

A Comprehensive and Collaborative Guide to Map Design by Forgers for Forgers

I want to see what you guys think of a guide by forgers. What do you agree with and what do you disagree with?

URL: http://i55.tinypic.com/13yi6va.png

Wanna help spread the word about ReachingPerfection.com at other sites? Use the image above and link back to us.
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

Re: Resource #19 [10/31]

AtlasisShruggin
AtlasIsShruggin
Not a whole lot I disagreed with in this article, I was happy to see them make a push for asymmetrical design in the mlg community. Actually I thought it was nice to see them try to move the forgers away from the Onslaught clones. It seems like this was written in H3 days, so they clearly didn't succeed haha.

Also I can't believe they called Beaver Creek Symmetrical. Definitely isn't and is pretty apparent that it isn't  
"This dread born of risk is not the opposite of joy, or even of quiet activity and calm enjoyment. It transcends such oppositions and lives in secret communion with the serene and gentle yearnings of creativity."
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

Spiteful Crow
Spiteful Crow
I like the emphasis on asymmetrical designs, but I can't say I agree that they're "easier" to design.  they're easier to implement, I'd say, but making them feel fun is hard, just in a different way.  Symmetrical maps quickly can feel boring, they're easier to get "turned around" in, and at least in my experience they're harder to get motivated about ;)

Obviously there are a lot of great symmetrical maps but my absolute favorites are asymm.  Lastly, I liked the callout for elevation changes -- reminded me to add something to the map sketch I'm working on!
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

P1 Mario
P1 Mario
The date shows a little, but overall plenty of good information.  It's interesting, however, how an MLG map differs from a standard map.  Although they have the same design principles, it seems that an MLG map requires a faster pace, (more open, more threat zones, etc;) to keep up with the gameplay.  Still, the most helpful section I saw was the section that dealt with rewarding map knowledge.  We've heard about it from previous resources, but this resource was the first to actually offer a concrete example, the 3-point jump.  It makes me want to create something similar on my map, where there's a technical 1-point jump with low risk, low reward, an extension of that 1-point to a 2-point jump with high reward and high risk of death by falling, and then final, item-dependent extension to a 3 point jump.  Basically, the 1 point will cue players into the fact that they can do something cool here.  The 2 point will be noticeable by those looking for it, and the 3rd point will be the equivalent of an easter egg for someone who's actually taken the map into Forge and practiced.

AtlasisShruggin wrote
Also I can't believe they called Beaver Creek Symmetrical. Definitely isn't and is pretty apparent that it isn't
I think he said "functionally" symmetrical, which makes a bit more sense.  You're right that it's not perfectly symmed, but if you draw a line down the creek in the middle, you've still got the base, the rock path, the arch, and teleporter mirrored on each side, even if it's not the an exact match.  *shrugs* Just a thought.
~Ask not why I get to be Player 1.
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

Valiant Outcast
Valiant Outcast
I would say that I agree with the article on many points, but not all of them.
The comments about High Ground seemed off, like he missed the point of the map while playing it.
It was built as an "attack and defend" style slayer map. One team had the "High Ground" and it was their job to defend it. The only real defensive weapons were the Spartan Laser and the turret.
The attackers were tasks with taking the high ground from the defenders. As they lacked the advantage of the high ground, they were equipped to with a counter advantage. They were given the sniper, shotgun, rocket launcher, overshield, and ghost. The map was balanced in a terrain vs equipment manner.
I am neither the Judge or His jury; only His witness.
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

o0Junglist0o
I like the section on spawn location, this, i think, is one of the main deciding factors if a map works or not, and also the angle of the player view when you spawn can be the difference of knowing where you are, or not and being totally confused/disorientated. I personally am a huge fan of the 'map knowledge' section, there is nothing better than playing a map for a while, thinking you 'know' it, only to then discover sneaky, or hard to reach shortcut that take skill to reach.
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

thealm0ndkiller
I found the push for asymms in MLG interesting, especially given that it hasn't happened - does anyone have an article where someone pushes for symm maps in MLG? Same for 2 bases, etc.

Although some of the numbers + specifics were off because of changes from h3 to Reach (an now 4) the general ideas of the post (flow + geometry vs "cover", z-axis, spawning) still stand. It's too bad that most of the links were broken, though.
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

Gnappy As5A5sin
Gnappy As5A5sin
This is a little aged here, but I like all the pushes for awarding map knowledge. The depth added by including trick jumps in an already awesome map. It's very awesome to me that the verbiage of wispy vs. chunky design was very descriptive and accurate. There's a ton of great stuff in this doc for adding a layer of awesome to an already good map, in this case my definition of good map being one that already plays solid and has enough going for it that the fine-grit high intensity sandblasting of the MLG community would do nothing to destroy it.
On Skype Wolfpack Dragon wrote
"i came on the radio so I had to mention it"
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

DarkJediMasterX
DarkJediMasterX
This was very helpful because I am in the whole weapon placement, spawn system area on my map. I did a beta test on mine and all seemed well with the spawns, but I know its not perfect so i will go into it more. As for the different map designs I honestly didn't think of 4 bases, but I do have multiple levels so I am confident in my map :) I will be making an update video showing the changes I made few days ago :)
Halo 4 walkthroughs, lets plays & more http://www.youtube.com/user/darkholegames

For daily game news go to http://darkholegames.net/