|  32 messages Options
Reply | Quote | Edit |  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Halo Forge Maps Overview (video)

GodlyPerfection
RP Founder
Irrelephancy
GodlyPerfection
This post was moved from a deleted location by noklu on .
This post was updated on .
Hey look... another forge video. This is just making my job easy. lol... discuss

URL: http://i55.tinypic.com/13yi6va.png

Wanna help spread the word about ReachingPerfection.com at other sites? Use the image above and link back to us.
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

Re: Resource #5 [10/10]

Randy 355
Randy 355
The cave map looks awesome visually, and I am curious as to see what can be done with the layout. The grifball area looks unfortunately to me to be too small to fit a remake of The Pit, but I may try measurements anyway.

All of the Forge spaces look to be sizable, though it doesn't look like we can get a variety of BTB maps like on Forge World. People will have to get clever for that, but that can be a good thing. Now I am just curious to see the different palettes on each of the maps. In the other video, it seemed to me that Ravine had some UNSC themed pieces like Impact, but I always figured it would be Forerunner pieces. Now it also seems to me that Erosion has a lot of Human themed structures as well. This leaves me a bit confused, but I do image it won't be long before we are relieved of that. Well done 343 and Certain Affinity. I am pleased with what I am seeing for sure!

Also, I hope we can glitch out of the top of Erosion, even just to see what is (or what isn't) up there. Likely just a half finished skybox. lol
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

InnerSandman
I enjoyed watching that video. Instead of having one massive forge space with a boring palette, now we have 3 slightly large spaces with really nice palettes. And I think all of these maps will be great for machinima makers because of the diversity in all the maps.
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

GodlyPerfection
RP Founder
Irrelephancy
GodlyPerfection
I am more than just excited for Erosion. I think it will be my favorite of the three environments if not strictly for the atmosphere that it offers. I'm trying to decide how I want Think Again to look... this is going to be a tough one. With the potential of the lagoon, I'm hoping we do get more light pieces because those are going to be needed in such a dark and dank place. They say that Erosion is built for the newer forgers, but I think veteran forgers are going to do wonders with that map.

Also I agree with the BTB statement... I think natural terrain vehicular BTB is going to die fast in the custom game world. Which is kind of a relief for me since I hated vehicular terrain BTB on Forgeworld... lol. Bring on the smaller maps. Dominion also seems to be losing potential... unless you want to build a dominion map around the lagoon... then fun will ensue. Dibs...

Wanna help spread the word about ReachingPerfection.com at other sites? Use the image above and link back to us.
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

A 3 Legged Goat
A 3 Legged Goat
I honestly don't like Erosion. I'm a terrain forger and this doesn't give me any space to work with. The terrain they did include seems to only fit Infection or 1-sided game modes, and even then it is very steep and may not even support that. So I think I'll shy away from that map unless I decide to build something above the lagoon.

But I really love how Ravine looks. I do agree with your comment on GAF that it'll get stale when everyone makes their BTB maps in the same way. I'm hoping to snag a lead on it with Jackal Creek's remake and make something unique in the space that most BTB players will not think of.

Impact looks like it'll be the most used environment because of how much more space it has. I have a few ideas for maps here as well and I'm excited for forging on it. I love how the nebula and supernova both help with orientation for red and blue sides.

I'm a bit disappointed with how small the maps are because this means the spaces will grow old fast. However, they look gorgeous and I hope I can create something that is set apart from other maps. I think terrain forging is going to be really difficult this time around.
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

GodlyPerfection
RP Founder
Irrelephancy
GodlyPerfection
Well I won't get bored... lol. ;) But I do agree to an extent. Our goal as forgers should be to take advantage of that honeymoon phase in order to win the hearts of Halo players. We can only hope that a Forge map or maybe two sneak into the 9 DLC maps that come with the season pass.

Reply | Quote | Edit |  

Nitro
I'm liking all three environments, more Erosion then Impact, not so much Ravine. Reasons why not Ravine, I still have broken heart with Forge World. It resembles a lot of it, frankly I want to forge some where new.

Erosion kills them all. The new Foundry (what I am calling it) looks amazing. The lighting to the textures on the walls. I can't wait to forge inside that room. Then the area above the water, gives off this dark creepyness feel. I can see some awesome Flood maps coming out of this section. And the last area within Erosion is the prefabbed area. I like the lighting in this section as well, I will more than likely forge above the section and not use any ground  layers as it is not flat and I really just want to use that spot for the lighting.

Impact, I am still really excited to forge in space. I almost want to make a zero gravity map for S/Gs but more than likely use some terrain along side of the forge pieces. The skybox in this map is amazing. From the nebula to the stars, wow.

Lastly Ravine. The Forerunner architecture is beautiful as always but I just not a huge fan of the area. It seems very limited to what you can do unlike Erosion or  Impact. I would honestly hope something will prove me wrong about this map.

Overall I am still excited for forge, but saddened for two parts. One, the forge editor still seems a little of a bummer. Like I would want the option to create my own mountains or waterfalls within an office building. Forge is very limited and yes I understand this is a console and we can do only so much. But how much is "so much". Second, I WANT A COVENANT ENVIRONMENT TO FORGE! I want a purple covenant dropship, kinda like the Firefight map that was in Reach. I was open and just asking to be forged on. /Rant but hope everyone else is excited for H:4 as much as I am. :)
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

Solo XIII
I have never been particularly fond of forging around natural geometry. The limitations are simply too big of an obstacle. If -- after play-testing -- I decide that an additional tunnel our ramp is necessary, I don't want to have a hill or rock-wall blocking my way. For this reason, I tend to steer clear of natural geometry. I don't like compromising on creativity.

However, I must admit that the three locales for Forge are very, very pretty. I really like the way the light-towers on Impact introduce long shadows into the playing area. It gives it almost a "Sports Arena" feeling, like the tower-lights at a night game. Erosion is chock-full of interesting set-pieces. I imagine that the lagoon will -- once again -- be a starting place for many, many forgers (Although I'm pretty sick of seeing puddles in the basements of maps). Personally, I'm interested in the upper reaches of Erosion, where the sunlight streams down through holes in the cave ceiling. I can see myself trying to manipulate that beam of light into the central atrium of one of my designs. Even though Ravine is very similar looking to Forge World, I imagine I will be forging on it to take use of the bright blue skybox. I prefer my maps to be well-lit, clean, and sterile -- I do not believe that finding your enemies should be hard in Halo and much prefer maps that make identifying your targets easy and natural.
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

Brucer42O
Eriosion looks pretty amazing, that sick bright green water in the bottom of the cave is really eye catching, and I'm a sucker for stalactites. I think this environment alone offers tons of potential for a variety of unique maps to be forged.  i was hoping they would fly through that hole in the ceiling and unveil this great big magical world on the surface, but I was sadly disappointed.

On that note, I'm noticing a sever lack of BTB play space on Halo 4. I personally favor BTB, I love vehicular objective based team combat, and I'm not really seeing an emphasis on that play style in Forge or in Halo 4 in general.  The only decent BTB maps I've seen are Ragnarok and Meltdown, and I've already played Valhalla to death back in the day. The Ravine seems to have the most BTB potential of the Forge environments, but it doesn't appear to be even half the size of Forge World, and I'm sure that one grassy nook will be done to death and get old pretty fast.  

Like somebody mentioned above, I guess I'll just have to get creative in designing a BTB map.  I am really gonna miss the gultch.  I hope they bring it back eventually, I've been raising hell in that canyon for almost ten years now, I don't think I'll get sick of it anytime soon.

Still excited, just wasn't what I was expecting, I thought all three Forge environments would be as big if not bigger than Forge World.  All three combined perhaps measure up, but i guess halo reach set the bar pretty high.

=]
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

FuN Fortress
Sigma Squadron
FuN Fortress
I hate to be one of the few who are not in agreement with the majority, but I'm not a huge fan of Erosion, personally. I feel like the terrain is set up in a way that's really going to make it tricky to build anything around, there are too many specific things happening with that environment to really seem like you can make use of it. I mean, I guess it's supposed to be the environment for those who didn't really want a completely blank slate, but I just think that it's going to be a challenging environment to accomplish anything with. Another thing I wasn't really sure about was the fact that the little 'room' inside of that tower feels like it's RIGHT on the edge of that cliff, and then there's that gigantic hole just outside of one side. It seems like it's going to be more than a challenge to build something on the other half of it (the half over the water) in a way that 'blends' with the pre-built parts of the map. I do really like the big, open space in the water, though.

Ravine seems interesting, but I have the same sort of qualms with it that I do with Erosion. It just seems like this really small space that has this really rough environment to try and work with, there don't seem to be any kind of large areas with some normal hills and dips in the land like the Canyon section of Forgeworld, which I did love about Forgeworld. I agree that BTB maps are probably going to be more of a challenge to make than they used to be, but I feel like I won't be using these two environments very much at all. So much for my design for Halo 4 anyway haha...

My favorite environment remains Impact. Despite that building being stuck smack in the middle of the map, that smaller, floating asteroid looks like it can provide a nice space for a map, being just flat and plain-looking. The Forge pieces also have an aesthetic that I prefer over the others, and I think I'm going to be spending my time here for the most part in Forge. I think my only real complant about any of the environments comes down to a lack of just a large, flat, natural space. I've always been bothered trying to build on COMPLETELY flat spaces like in Forgeworld's Colosseum, I always ended up shifting to the Canyon because the hills felt so much better to build on. All-in-all, I'm still pretty happy with the direction the Forge is heading in.
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

AtlasisShruggin
AtlasIsShruggin
I'm with Goat on this one. The terrain is VERY disappointing in Erosion. Impact has a nice area off to the side but nothing significant. Also the atmosphere somewhat limits the kinds of themes you can do with a map on Impact. Ravine was the only decent space I saw, and even with Ravine I noticed certain rocks that will hinder forgers. I really won't know until I get in the mas and start measuring the spaces.... but I'm disappointed overall.

That being said, I'm really looking forward to playing Jackal Creek again Goat :) Love that freakin map.

The aesthetics so far look really good in forge, but the environments seem to cater towards casual forgers. The structure on Impact is going to piss me off in the end... I know it.

"Hey look ma! I put some bridges around this circle structure built in and mad a map! It's low gravity and look how you can fall down and hide under this rock."

There will be thousands of maps like this and we'll all end up playing them waaaay too much.

On a personal note, Impact will be nice to work with once, but I doubt I'll build on it more than once. Same with Erosion. And only really to work with the pieces and palettes. Ravine seems to be the way to go.
"This dread born of risk is not the opposite of joy, or even of quiet activity and calm enjoyment. It transcends such oppositions and lives in secret communion with the serene and gentle yearnings of creativity."
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

external memory
External Memory
I'm really excited for this Forge and its features, the different unique palettes, and the variety on each map, and hate to sound like I'm nitpicking.

However, I'm agreed on the prediction that the lack of a really flat, uninterrupted natural terrain area is going to make the variety of large symmetrical Dominion/Slayer/CTF maps more limited toward either incorporating or patching up/blocking off spaces that may breed contempt in their familiarity: Ravine's terrain/structure area; the smaller empty asteroid or the empty horseshoe around Impact's structural cylinder; just using big flat forge pieces for entirely forged geometry. Easy to predict the last option is where we'll end up finding the majority of large unique maps; hopefully less of the "it's too gray/tan/rust" criticism due to light and shadow this installment.

Nothing wrong with semi-symmetrical Dominion maps (see Exile) made by forgers and variations on a pre-defined theme, though, and IMO this is nothing BTB forgers aren't used to (waiting for a larger Sandbox DLC successor that may never come, confined to a part of the community if it does). There is certainly some missed opportunity, in terms of openness and aesthetics, with again not having a big uninterrupted slab of flat symmetrical earth on disc. With a known quantity on future DLC maps planned for now, I'm not holding my breath for more than 3 really forgeable spaces, but who can say? Maybe they'll find a way to do something without pissing off "Foundry/Sandbox is a rip off" critics. I'm optimistic that there will still be some truly great forged vehicular objective and slayer experiences with enough variety to keep it fresh regardless.
EXEM
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

P1 Mario
P1 Mario
Initial reaction:

Erosion: Ick on the terrain, yum on the visuals.  Frustrated yet again by the inability to reach really cool looking objects. Such as the sun-bathed girder, dangling over the map like the hand of God-his-own-self.  Or, you know, a visually interesting piece I want to explore.  Still, the lagoon's colors have me excited for free standing maps.

Impact: My favorite so far, both in visuals and play space.  Hole in the ground is a bit of a disappointment... If that center piece was gone, it might be feasible, but I get the feeling it will be too cramped.  Very excited for that asteroid bridge.

Ravine: Very happy that we can forge in the ravine.  Linear gametypes ftw.  I am curious as to exactly how much space we have off of the cliff.

Overall:  I like that we have a focus on visually appealing environments this time around.  I am worried, however, that these spaces may prove too small.  Halo 4's going to have an even bigger impact (har har) on how fast players move, which means maps generally have to get bigger to accomodate that change.
~Ask not why I get to be Player 1.
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

Der Flatulator
Der Flatulator6
The boundaries on most of the maps seem fairly restrictive. I would have expected that with the Ravine we could go all the way around the back of the map (behind the Forerunner structure), oh well.
Erosion seems a little restrictive in terms of design, but I'm almost sure that SPAAAAAAAAACE aka Impact will be my favorite. I do love the aesthetic of all three maps.

Very much looking forward to Halo 4 forge :)
derflatulator@reachingperfection ~ $ $do || !$do ; try
try: command not found
derflatulator@reachingperfection ~ $ sudo rm -rf /
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

Dr D04K
VERY excited to see what we'll be working with and be able to start thinking about possible build sites for my entry (I'm thinking between the cliffs on Ravine).  Though, I do share many of the concerns voiced above.  I feel a little like they've dumbed down the environments with lots of prefabbed structures to help the casual forgers, which unfortunately has the side effect of hindering the ability of more accomplished artisans from finding a suitable site to build completely original maps.  I'll hold my judgement on that for a bit since its hard to judge scale from the video, but all the prefabbed structures leave me a little frustrated already.  
Gamer tag: "Dr D04K" (thats a zero and a four)
RP Portfolio
Maps:
Wishbone Alley
Dosado
Infinity Garden
Epicurean
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

GodlyPerfection
RP Founder
Irrelephancy
GodlyPerfection
The thing that gets me with Erosion, isn't the terrain. It is the atmosphere and the tons of different styles of places. The terrain, inside the court, above the court, the overhand section of the lagoon, the main section of the lagoon, and the sun bathed section of the lagoon. Loads of types of places on Erosion which is what really tickles me. And the style of the pieces being more rustic makes them feel much more natural and organic. And I LOVE it.

Reply | Quote | Edit |  

Der Flatulator
Der Flatulator6
GodlyPerfection wrote
The thing that gets me with Erosion, isn't the terrain. It is the atmosphere and the tons of different styles of places. The terrain, inside the court, above the court, the overhand section of the lagoon, the main section of the lagoon, and the sun bathed section of the lagoon. Loads of types of places on Erosion which is what really tickles me. And the style of the pieces being more rustic makes them feel much more natural and organic. And I LOVE it.
Erosion is definitely the most aesthetically pleasing forge map, from what I've seen, but in terms of usability, I think (again, based on what we've seen) it may fall short of the other canvases.
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

GodlyPerfection
RP Founder
Irrelephancy
GodlyPerfection
Der Flatulator wrote
Erosion is definitely the most aesthetically pleasing forge map, from what I've seen, but in terms of usability, I think (again, based on what we've seen) it may fall short of the other canvases.
My first few maps are now to prove Flat wrong... consider it done.

Reply | Quote | Edit |  

Dr D04K
I see using the ceiling in Erosion and building a flat floor the likely best use of that space, but we'll see...
Gamer tag: "Dr D04K" (thats a zero and a four)
RP Portfolio
Maps:
Wishbone Alley
Dosado
Infinity Garden
Epicurean
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

Der Flatulator
Der Flatulator6

Make me want to remake lockout so bad... I wonder if I could do a faithful remake? I doubt it. However there are a few interesting variations that come to mind when adapting it to the halo 4 sandbox.