Hello...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
34 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hello...

FuN Fortress
...Or, some other generic introductory title (forgive me now for this lengthy introduction hahaha), Introductions were never my forte, but pumping out maps as fast as Noble Six hands out beatings at the end of Halo:Reach (don't lie, you loved the ending) is my strong suit. Just want to say 'hello', and that I very much like that Godly set all of this up for us to share maps, mapping theories, and the like. I've been looking at a few of the maps people have posted here and I'm glad that this is one of the few places out there to do so in such a free way. Sadly, I don't have Gold LIVE right now on my Xbox, so currently on 'hold' are four or so maps I've made in Reach in my downtime. My pride and joy is all set up on my file share for those who are interested, but as of now my ability to post content is dead in the water. For now, anyway.

Great to be here, and thank you to GodlyPerfection who set this up for us and provides us with some amazing mapping guides.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hello...

HighSeasHoMastr
Welcome! I look forward to seeing what your maps have to offer!
Car Fanatic. Proud owner of:
'72 Porsche 911T Track Car
'68 Porsche 912 to 911 conversion
Reply | Threaded
|

St0n3DxAs545siN
In reply to this post by FuN Fortress
welcome, once you get gold feel free to add me

Forge is the Best!!! Add me if you want a beast forging friend :D

Also check out my cool forums that you can share your maps youv'e made to people and make really cool friends at:
Reach for Supremacy

File Share Link

Visit my Portfolio!
Reply | Threaded
|

FuN Fortress
Thanks haha... I'll add you once I'm back up again. No telling when that is, but I know I'll be shelling out a map every few days between then :p

By the way, if anybody needs tips on the basic mechanics of other level editing software, I'm experienced in UnrealED (and the UDK to some extent) (for Unreal Tournament, I primarily use the editor for UT99) and I have some basic experience with the Valve Hammer Editor.
Reply | Threaded
|

St0n3DxAs545siN
um no idea what that is ?

Forge is the Best!!! Add me if you want a beast forging friend :D

Also check out my cool forums that you can share your maps youv'e made to people and make really cool friends at:
Reach for Supremacy

File Share Link

Visit my Portfolio!
Reply | Threaded
|

dzebra
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

dzebra
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

FuN Fortress
dzebra wrote
Looks like I was late to the party with the answer.

No problem hahaha... When Stoned gave me the solution, I actually had to go into the thread's 'quote mode' to just copy/paste the script right into my signature :p Good seeing you lol.

EDIT

That burger looks amazing... Unless there's an inside joke behind it, or I'm mistaking it for a burger (in your user avatar)... In which case, it still looks tasty.
Reply | Threaded
|

Welcome!

Jonzorz 124
Welcome to RP FUN Fortress, I've got your Watering Hole V2 queued to download.  Its crazy that you can put out maps that fast quickly,though I hope you are striving for quality over quantity, either way, I'm excited to see what you're building.
Reply | Threaded
|

dzebra
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Welcome!

FuN Fortress
In reply to this post by Jonzorz 124
Oh definitely I stick to quality. The most time I've found I try to spend with a map (not counting Watering hole) is on average four to five hours when I'm building the 'skeleton'. That includes the geometry, spawn system, item placement, and objective placement. In an effort not to 'grind' a map, I start a new project and flesh that out. I move between projects adding aesthetics and more intricate spawning/objective systems, along with adding/removing any geometry that I don't see fits the bill. Watering Hole so far is a month-long (or maybe two, counting version one, which in geometric terms is identical, the spawning and weapons changed between versions) effort of improvement and change based on user criticism.

Oh, and if you can figure out what would be a good setup for CTF or Assault on Watering Hole, feel free to let me know. So far what I have is Blue Team situated in the corner with the plasma cannon and Red Team on the high platform in the opposite corner with the machine gun turret. I never went into Watering Hole with a 'symmetric' idea in mind, but I've seen Bungie's non-symmetric maps make 'symmetric' gametypes work.

EDIT

That is one intimidating burger. It looks quite amazing.
Reply | Threaded
|

GodlyPerfection
Administrator
Welcome to the site Fun Factor... glad to have you hear bro and I hope you enjoy your delicious stay (sorry still starring at the burger). lol... anyways, we all look forward to you getting live. I would add you, but it probably won't happen till you get gold. I'm one of those people that has to constantly delete people off of their friends list for more active people. You'll be on it soon though... don't worry. ;)

URL: http://i55.tinypic.com/13yi6va.png

Wanna help spread the word about ReachingPerfection.com at other sites? Use the image above and link back to us.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuN Fortress
Trust me I've been there haha, having to delete people who just vanished off of the face of the earth. I hope I get LIVE soon, I've got about five maps ready to go just sitting and collecting dust. They could sure use a custom game night or two, but for now I just have to focus on what I can do without players besides myself to roam around in the map. For now Watering Hole is all I have up, but I consider that my 'primary' map among the ones I've made.
Reply | Threaded
|

Welcome to FuN Fortress - A fortress of fun

DriedMoss
Fortress Welcome to ReachingPerfection.com (RP).

You have come to the right place. We have members from many backgrounds of level design and forging communities like XForgery. You are in a prime spot to provide the RP community with new ideas, so as soon as you get up on Live, let us swarm over your maps and make them the best they can be.

I Queued Watering Hole for download. Waited for the Xbox 360 to vroom up. Loaded up Reach's main menu and noticed an instant prompt that Watering Hole was available on the hard drive. Then, starting a forge game, with less than enthusiastic expectations, I waited to see a common map built slightly below the waterline. The screen went from empty black to being  filled with what I can honestly say is an above average water based map design.

The center dish fits in well with your overall design. I see too many maps that have enclosed high sea states that work, but not at the same level of immersion that you've managed with Watering Hole. The waves being generated around the map are believable. That's unique. That's immersion.

I'll give you some other points of interest on Watering Hole when you get on live, you gain access to your portfolio, or here in the forums should you want some input right away.

Again, welcome to RP. Remain active, and we all will be looking for your input on live.

Design with Determination!

XBL Gamertag: DriedMoss
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Welcome to FuN Fortress - A fortress of fun

FuN Fortress
A lot of thanks for that review, but over the past four years from Unreal, to Counter Strike, to Halo, I've learned that no map is ever perfect and you can always learn and improve. That's why I came here, to throw Watering Hole into the frying pan and gather what criticism I can (this place, unlike the Bungie forums, seems to be extremely active with community help and criticism). Watering Hole is still in the 'Version Three' right now, I've been tweaking it and fixing things all weekend. From additions to guard rails (I watched a lot of recorded matches on the map, and saw way too many times people running right off into the depths, I couldn't let that go unnoticed) and more spawnpoints, I'm not near done with it yet.

By the way, I've challenged plenty of people to this, but if you can come up with a nice spawn system/objective system for CTF and Assault on the map, that would be awesome. So far I have Red Base stationed on the Turret Platform and Blue Base over in the opposite corner. It's been tough to work in those two gametypes into the map.

Thanks again for the words.
Reply | Threaded
|

A look into the Watering Hole

DriedMoss
The running off edges was a good notice on your part. I am on Watering Hole right now and I am still having fun just running around. Noticing your design choices.

Not to blow too much smoke into your expanding goodie-bag - so let's balance that out. Lets consider one of the deepest corners you've built into Watering Hole. I am not familiar with how you name the areas of Watering Hole, but one corner, near the outer perimeter, goes deep enough to allow the player (who is not crouching) a few under the waves.  This does not match with the rest of the map, unless I missed something, which is about waist high waves throughout. I mentioned before you have some great levels of immersion going on with Watering Hole, so the unwanted dive breaks that immersion a bit. I like Watering Hole so take any of my comments as constructive suggestions.

Always, always remember that suggestions here at RP are for you to consider, not to immediately implement, and there for you to develop as a designer (which means I get a ton of suggestions each play test = I have so far to go).  

It's awesome to hear that you are still very active in revisiting Watering Hole to make it more of what you intended.

See you on live soon.
Design with Determination!

XBL Gamertag: DriedMoss
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: A look into the Watering Hole

FuN Fortress
Hey, thanks for that. That's the first time it's ever come up, actually, mentioning that. That underwater 'pocket' with the Rocket Launcher near it was actually intentionally built to have deep water. Watching videos of the map I see players who like (or were curious to) submerge themselves to get the drop on people going after the rocket launcher. Raising that a little would require adjusting the tunnel with the rockets along with the platform under the Turret Platform (in my actual first version of Watering Hole, I had a whole thread set up with all of the 'callouts' and everything, they're not on this site yet though).

Right now what I'm working on is trying to populate some of the other areas of my map. Download that video in my file share and take a peek, a ton of combat happens near that turret and the 'center' building. I'm having trouble in having anybody venture out, the only reason to do so seems to be to grab the Fuel Rod Gun (which I was suggested to remove, it has been in Version Three). I want to add a Hammer or a Sword to the Center Dish or where the Fuel Rod used to be, but it does feel a little out of the way. Watch the video and judge for yourself, I guess hahaha.

Oh, and a few good friends of mine gave me a code for 2-day Live, so I'm up for any customs within the next two days. Gamertag is FuN Fortress. I have no mic, so I'll just go along with what everybody else is doing. Hoping we can test some maps here (I personally want to see StonedAssassin's Metropolis in action).

EDIT

I'm up for any criticism on my maps. Anything is good, as a designer who's pushing a product it's about getting a reaction instead of being left to gather dust (a designer's maps anyway). I never get mad or upset when I get told to change something, I've had my fair share of poor reviews (though 60% of those pertained to my failure to post a working link of the map haha), most of which have to do with my weapon placement/spawn times. Balance is my first issue with Watering Hole, as is getting players to use some of the other sections of the map.
Reply | Threaded
|

GodlyPerfection
Administrator
You two are really having quite the design discussion over here lol. I would take a look at the map, but because of the forgetacular contest I have been quite busy as of late. Once things slow down then I can start getting a bit more active than I have been around here.

URL: http://i55.tinypic.com/13yi6va.png

Wanna help spread the word about ReachingPerfection.com at other sites? Use the image above and link back to us.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jonzorz 124
Quite the discussion indeed. I've got Watering Hole downloaded, but I didn't get a chance to check it out yet. I'm kind of in the same boat as Godly right now, especially since I just recently decided to try and submit two maps to the Forgetacular contest...(I don't know why I do this to myself haha) But yeah, this discussion has certainly peeked my interest, I'll definitely try and check it out some time soon.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuN Fortress
Watering Hole was definitely a 'crowd' favorite in yesterday's playtest. Moss was pretty excited about it (in which at the start of the match he sent me a message saying 'yes! watering hole! finally!'), and Evo (one of my friends with us) liked it as well having played Version 2. Too bad we only had 3 people at the time. It was pretty fun though.