Horrible frame rate on Impact or is it just me?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
 |  9 messages Options
Reply | Quote | Edit |  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Horrible frame rate on Impact or is it just me?

MrSaddo
MrSaddo
Just tested my map on Impact for the first time. Despite using less than half the budget on the structure and no particularly long lines of sight, it performed horribly. Even inside a building where all you could see was the inside of the building and may 2-3 other blocks, there was significant slowdown.

In the post game lobby, some people suggested that it was due to the number of players and that the Impact maps all slowed down with 16 players. One guy said he made a $1000 map which slowed down with 16 players.

I played 2 other 16 player games on Impact and the both screen lagged horribly from beginning to end. I'm interested to hear other people's experiences of forging on this map and also if the same problems are occurring on the other maps.
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

Re: Horrible frame rate on Impact or is it just me?

MythicFritz
MythicFritz
Haven't tried Impact, only got the game this week. But I have been seeing the same thing as you, at least with 16 near that round in-map structure.
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

external memory
External Memory
I've heard large braces now cause some frame lag noticeable even in Forge, try taking some out and seeing if that has any effect?

Off-topic: Mythic, I dunno if you heard already, but people have been able to DL the Crimson map DLC for free through the in-game main menu. Players that didn't get the map pass are getting an otherwise 800 MS DLC for 0 MS.

Not sure if the oversight's been fixed, or if it is somehow linked only to accounts which had specializations unlocked on the 30th for playing online before Nov. 20th, but you should definitely give it a shot if you haven't yet.
EXEM
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

MythicFritz
MythicFritz
@external I had heard about that but it didn't work for me. Tried a few different ways about it.

And I built a map that included a few brace larges without framerate with a 2v2. Just a few, and on Ravine.
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

mrgreenwithagun
MrGreenWithAGun
As we continued to play more games on other impact maps, we came across one map that had zero frame rate problems. We noticed that we were playing a lot inside the space station blocks and that the map was a donut shaped space station. We speculated that (a) inside the space station objects the code does something to reduce FR problems (they may be recognized as occluders), and that the sparse design may also contribute to good performance. I think there were actually two maps that demonstrated good performance that day, both using space station blocks that we ran around inside of.
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

MrSaddo
MrSaddo
mrgreenwithagun wrote
As we continued to play more games on other impact maps, we came across one map that had zero frame rate problems. We noticed that we were playing a lot inside the space station blocks and that the map was a donut shaped space station. We speculated that (a) inside the space station objects the code does something to reduce FR problems (they may be recognized as occluders), and that the sparse design may also contribute to good performance. I think there were actually two maps that demonstrated good performance that day, both using space station blocks that we ran around inside of.
How many players?
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

mrgreenwithagun
MrGreenWithAGun
MrSaddo wrote
mrgreenwithagun wrote
How many players?
I honestly do not recall, but I do remember we were saying that there was nothing wrong with the FR at all - that was the focus of our discussion. Yes, I know that 16 seems to be a magic number (all the more reason I won't design for BTB in H4).
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

external memory
External Memory
mrgreenwithagun wrote
Well, that's good news for my prototype, practically all station for the flooring. Ditto what Saddo asked though, as it's for BTB.
EXEM
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

mrgreenwithagun
MrGreenWithAGun
This post was updated on .
I have been working on an IMPACT map to learn new concepts of level design. The first one I took to a point then abandoned as I felt it had come to the end of its life as a teaching tool. The frame rate on that map was horrendous at key places for 2LP. The next map I created applying what I learned from the first has very good FR for 2LP, and can stand on par for FR issues with some of the worse playlist maps today. Essentially, the video slows a little, it is noticeable, but it isn't enough to make aiming difficult or impossible. It is tolerable at moments, otherwise it is fine.

I think the key was I used a few objects, though a lot of them (4k from the budget thus far), and they were some of the better objects to use.