Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How to~?: Threat UNACs (Draft Article)

Sash
Administrator
This post was updated on .

To be written, hue hue hue.

I'll be online later tonight on XBL to grab my UNAC data. I intend to give a comprehensible guide to creating strong UNACs for use in Conquest in a relatively short amount of time as well as provide a few talking points and personal recommendations regarding UNAC builds and weapon combos.

FIRST UPDATE: 40% Complete

All basic features are present. Advanced topics will be expanded upon later at my leisure (or per demand).

Getting Started...

My teammates come to me for a variety of things, but originally, I couldn't help them with their UNAC questions. I didn't have a clue how to build UNACs whatsoever and further I couldn't wrap my brain around those big logic pyramids in the UNAC's Operations settings. However, after a mini-journey of seeking out the rumored UNAC Architects and far too much time spent in the workshop testing all sorts of things, I feel that I can confidently make a rather quick and direct guide for intermediate and advanced players to turn their existing knowledge into powerful UNAC companions.

Step One: Your Team Composition

As a player creating and commanding UNACs, you must first understand that, under the right conditions, UNACs can be effective substitutes for real and competent players. That said, your UNACs must be representational of your ideal team to sortie with.

For me, that means a bulwark tank that I can play alongside or otherwise support, a shield-bearing fortress quad that can dish out and soak up large amounts of damage, and another fortress quad that carries the "Laser-Speed" weapon combination.

Remember, UNACs are unfortunately different than human players in one major way; they will not use cover. Because of this trait, UNACs must be prepared to sustain large amounts of fire in open combat. A bulkier team composition is better, all things considered. It is also important to note what sort of build you the player enjoy using. If you the reader pilot a build that clashes with your UNACs and has no synergy whatsoever, your entire squad suffers.

I like to play Tanks and Heavies, so my team composition has a very balanced defense spread with 4 CE Resists, 2 TE Resists, and 2 KE Resists, as well as a CIWS.

Step Two: Your UNAC's AC(s)

Part One: The Mainline UNAC

The Mainline UNAC is a basic, tried and true UNAC whose existence is justified by superior damage-sponging abilities combined with acceptable damage output. This is the bread of your UNAC sandwich. Continuing with that analogy; while it's nice to have a sesame bagel or some sourdough bread on a sandwich, sometimes it is just easiest to make your sandwich with plain white bread. Why? Because you're serving a lot of sandwiches and you're totally not going to know everyone's personal bread preference and you should really just go for what is easiest to produce. After all, this UNAC sandwich is what you're serving to your enemies. You don't know if they love whole wheat bread or not, but you know that just about everyone out there will like white bread just fine... by just fine I mean your UNAC sandwich will be edible... err, viable... fuck it.

What I mean is, the Mainline UNAC is your most expendable member of the squad and as such its job is to be a barrier between you and the enemy for the majority of its life span. It will be constantly dealing and receiving damage, so for those roles, certain builds are more effective than others. You'll want your Mainline UNAC to be a balance between offense and defense, something that will work in a wide array of situations. This UNAC must be able to withstand all kinds of attacks and must be able to work on all kinds of maps. Some players prefer entire squads of Mainline UNACs purely because of their suitability and capacity to deal large amounts of damage over time. Personally, I say a good amount of specialization is nice to have when it comes to team comp, but forgive me for yet another sandwich analogy (I'm hungry); the Mainline UNAC is your bread-and-butter, he's not specialized, he's a generalist, suited to filling any position and taking on many different opponents. If you could have just one UNAC it should be this one; it isn't anything special, just your cannon fodder and meat grinder combined.

There are a lot of bulky builds out there on the battlefield, and a number of which perform well when controlled by a UNAC. A simple Fortress Quad [Tetrapod] build generally serves as a staple in many UNAC teams. I will list it in the in-game format for those of you who are not familiar with the ACV Jargon.

Cookie Quad

TE Head H02 Scarlet
KE Core CA-215
TE Arms AD-228
Tetra Legs UKIFUNE mdl.3
Wide FCS Fs-L-E28
High-Output Generator Ge-D-G23
High-Power Booster TOKONATSU mdl.1
Recon Unit [Any]

The general armament on such a frame is oftentimes a pair of Gatling Guns [AM/GGA-206] with some High Speed Missiles [SL/KMB-118H] or Vertical Missiles [SU09 Jellyfish // SL/KMC-204V]. Occasionally, Plasma Missiles [SU30 Jupiter] are used for coverage. Shields are commonly used as well, with KE and TE variants proving most useful.

Alternate internals include the Prochnyi [GA-319] Generator and the Burya [Bo-C-L13] Booster.

- - -

Another bulky frame used by common UNACs is a Barguzin [AOI mdl.1] Heavy Biped. These legs offer two different build options, a KE-Focused build and a CE-Focused build. Each have their own merits and both retain naturally high TE defense. Again, I'll list these off as they are denoted in-game.

Cookie KE Barguzin

NOTE: The benefit of this frame is its access to dual shoulder slots for VTF or Petasite (Pestie) missiles. It has high KE defenses, allowing it to block out Tansies [Au-B-A17] and Jellyfish/HSMs . It lacks CE Defenses, and can be easily damaged by Battle Rifles. Further, its low Recoil Resistance causes it to be staggered by most missiles.

CE Head Hd-G-A88
KE Core CB-209 [MODIFIED]
KE Arms AB-107D [MODIFIED]
HBP Legs AOI mdl.1
Wide FCS Fs-L-E28
High-Power Booster Bo-C-H11
Recon Unit [Any]

The general armament on this AC is typically a pair of Strekozas [Au-C-B19] with some VTFs [SAZANAMI mdl.2] or Vertical Missiles [SL/KMC-204V]. Occasionally, a singleKarasawa [x00 KARASAWA] will be added with a chip specifying its use against Tetrapod targets. However, Shields are more prevalent armaments, with KE and CE variants being the most obviously useful. Since UNACs don't use cover and tend to linger in the open, Gatling Guns [AM/GGA-206] will see use on Heavy Biped UNACs just as frequently as on Fortress Quad UNACs, so do not be afraid to vary the weapon set.

Again, alternate internals can be the Prochnyi [GA-319] Generator and the Burya [Bo-C-L13] or TOKONATSU mdl.1 Boosters.

- - -

Personally, I prefer a different variant of the "traditional" Barguzin heavyweight.

Sash's CE Barguzin

NOTE: The benefit of this frame is its resistance to CE attacks, namely the 3BR [Au-C-H22] It has middling KE defense, which means that Tansies [Au-B-A17] and Jellyfish/HSMs  will hit it effectively. This build struggles against missiles, but is very hard to stop without the "Laser-Speed" combo (which it is incredibly weak to) when supported by CIWS. Further, it only has a single shoulder slot, but this can be filled by devastating single-fire missiles such as the Su-G-Q01 Large Missile. Keep in mind that the Strekoza and Cercis [AM/BRA-125] will still deal effective damage to this frame.

CE Head Hd-G-A88
KE Core CA-215 [MODIFIED]
CE Arms AE-118
HBP Legs AOI mdl.1
Quick FCS FA-215
High-Power Booster TOKONATSU mdl.1
Recon Unit [Any]

The weapons on this AC vary widely mostly because the frame is not used as widely as its Gat/Strek/VTF-toting brother. I typically run this with a Strekoza and Tansy supported by the Large Missile. Sometimes, other weapons such as the Cercis will be mixed in for more coverage against the other variant of Barguzin heavyweight UNAC. Shields are nice to have, and KE and CE variants are appreciated. Since this build has a restricted shoulder unit and does not rely too much on missiles, I equip it with a Glance [Fa-215] FCS to get faster locks on the BRs and Tansy. You could also tack on a ULR-09/R [MURASAKI mdl.3] with a special operation for dealing with Fortress Quads.

Once again, alternate internals can be the Prochnyi [GA-319] Generator and the Burya [Bo-C-L13] Booster. This is purely preference but also depends on whether or not the build is using EN weapons or has extensive evasion chips.

- - -

Some people like to run Emei [Le2H-J-E34] heavies as UNACs. I personally stay away from these because the Emei legs support a quicker playstyle that isn't suited to UNAC piloting, that and they have less bulk than the other heavyweight legs available.

In case you desire an Emei UNAC, I'll list one here.

Uncontested Emei UNAC Frame

NOTE: The Emei Legs are some kind of malevolent hybrid born from the fiendish procreation of the Tolima [L2HA-307] and some dumb HRJ Leg. That said, they have poor KE, rather good CE (but still less than the heavier legs), middling TE (but still good by comparison to other legs), moderate mobility, stupidly good Recoil Resistance, and sinfully high loading capacity with still-decent turning performance. As a UNAC frame, I have to call attention to its ability to shrug off missiles. The Emei doesn't have any protection against other firearms, though, and as such Tansies and all BRs will tear it apart. It could be wise to use one of these, as the frame I list here has been modified for maximum AP and with the specified internals it can be quite competent at dodging incoming fire. In practice, I haven't had much luck with this kind of frame, but it will certainly have its place on other player's UNAC teams.

KE Head HF-227
KE Core CA-215 [MODIFIED]
KE Arms AB-107D [MODIFIED]
HBP Le2H-J-E34
Wide FCS Fs-L-E28
Balanced Generator GA-319
High-Power Booster Bo-C-L13
Recon [Any]

I will leave it up to the reader's judgement to determine a proper weapon set for this frame. In reading this far, you'll likely understand that Strekozas, Cercis, Tansies, Gats, HSMs, VTFs, Verts, and Plasma Missiles are all good weapons for a mainline UNAC.

Hopefully you'll also just check above for the in-game part names, and you'll remember to tack on a shield or two.

Part Two: The filler UNACs, Tanks, Damage-Dealers, etc.

Everyone has their own preference when it comes to dealing damage. Some people take their Mainline UNAC, strip the shields, and outfit it with more DPS and Coverage. The Damage-Dealer UNAC is typically a build that follows after another one of your UNACs (such as the Mainline) and hits the enemy team with everything it has. As such, this type of UNAC is generally suited to simply shooting things in the back or flanks. It forgoes a shield or two (I'd still vouch for having a single shield) for increased firepower and coverage options but is altogether much more aggressively-oriented than the Mainline UNAC. Damage-Dealer UNACs carry more specialized weapons than the Mainline UNAC, and oftentimes work directly with the Mainline to double-team enemies.

When it comes to designing the Damage-Dealer, it is easiest to simply take a player AC and equip it with strong offensive options. Weapons such as the Tansy, 3BR, Strekoza, KRSW [Au-L-K29], 12-Shot [Au-L-K37], Calendula [Au-B-A04] and most high-power missiles make great choices for a Damage-Dealer AC. The Damage-Dealer is sometimes used as a purely fire-support build, utilizing Sawas for ranged attacks and Armor Break, making them well suited to Quadruped frames.

How you build your Damage Dealer UNACs are up to you. You might want to have one or two, but in a squad with three UNACs and one player, I recommend just one.

- - -

The other filler UNAC that is a great substitution for a Mainline build is a Tank. Tank UNACs are simple to use and their offensive and defensive capabilities are unparalleled. However, they're rarely in the spotlight for long, as their limited mobility and general susceptibility to hardcore shenanigans leaves them practically unplayable.

This is why you have a UNAC tank. Tank-Users are hard to come by and they often suck so bad they're a liability. UNAC tanks fire sniper cannons with precision accuracy, fire their pulse cannons to the brink of their EN pool, and can be programmed for uncanny energy management. The original drawbacks are still there, however, so bringing a Tank UNAC with in your squad is entirely up to your personal play style. I'm not going to post any Tank builds because all of mine are fucking stupid in one way or another. Regardless, UNAC Tanks bring about an entirely different stage of firepower in that they can use Cannon-Type weapons. [ IE: http://youtu.be/I5Zi-Jm9DVk?t=1m26s ]

For those of you who already knew about that, Cannon weapons can be devastating in a team fight. Cannons deal enormous damage, hit a large amount of the metagame's ACs, and as a bonus they come strapped to a 45K+ AP Tank with stellar defense spreads. DPS-Specialized tanks will annihilate anything that gets too close, and defensive tanks can take more punishment than the rest of your team combined. If you've got a good tank in your garage, convert it to a UNAC and give it a try. I'd say no more than two tanks per squad though, as too many tanks sap a squads mobility and prevent you from being able to position properly. Still, a single tank can prove invaluable as a both a damage sponge and damage dealer, and many rules for building ACs do not apply the same way to tanks, which allow for a bit of freedom in build design.

Again, I'm not posting any Tank builds, you can come up with those for yourselves.

Step Three: Your UNAC's Operations

This is the hard part. There are a bunch of unwritten rules when it comes to this stuff. For that reason, I'm simply going to refer you to a fellow UNAC Archetect by the name of Claes Angelo/Rave Satyriasis. He has a number of videos detailing the construction of his UNACs as well as their operation customization.

Specifically, I want to refer people to these two videos. I have contacted him and have been given his permission to feature his videos.
Thanks again for allowing me this privilege.

Herein Rave shows you both how to make a simple UNAC for testing your own UNACs, but also gives you a good base to work from when it comes to movement and weapon chip usage. Dutifully analyze the operation settings shown in the video, as you can derive from those a rudimentary and highly effective movement pattern as well as the basics behind weapon chips, etc.

So as not to leave you hanging when it comes to other operations, I'll create a video later where I will talk briefly about miscellaneous tricks to getting UNACs to do specific things such as; Effectively Use Laser Rifles, Effectively Use Pulse Cannons, Alternate Fire with Cannon-Type Weapons, Avoid Chasing Across The Map After Enemies At The Slightest Notice, Focus Down Enemies When Outnumbered, Effectively Prioritize Targets, Utilize Multiple Operations, and any requests within my power.

Step Four: Playing with UNACs on the battlefield

Uhm... I'll finish this later. I'm tired of writing for now. It's been several hours. Uguu~

I'm signing off on this for now. Catch you scant few readers and teammates later for my two upcoming vids on youtube as well as that other article about HEAVIES which you WolfPack guys have been incessantly nagging about.
Light can be just as blinding as Darkness. Bring some Sunglasses.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: How to~?: Threat UNACs (Draft Article)

Raizo
So far I've built a WA sniper cannon build, WA Plasma cannon build, WA Missile build, Vendetta build (Wasn't very consistent to be honest), and dual Rocket launcher/HEAT machine gun build (very explosive). Mainly just niche stuff that I think is cool of course.

So I've certainly gotten the hang of operation programming/syncing, and I've got a strong grasp on making the UNACs do whatever I want. Now I'm interested in making a well balanced, hard hitting, competitive UNAC. I can't wait to see what you have to share, because I could definitely use some pointers on making bad ass UNACs.

I'm a fairly gimmicky player myself so to no surprise my UNACs aren't usually very competitive. I'd love to know how to build a UNAC that really drives home and takes people out.
Everybody wants to use Vendetta blades, but nobody wants to die...
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: How to~?: Threat UNACs (Draft Article)

Sash
Administrator
Commander Raizo wrote
Now I'm interested in making a well balanced, hard hitting, competitive UNAC. I can't wait to see what you have to share, because I could definitely use some pointers on making bad ass UNACs.

I'm a fairly gimmicky player myself so to no surprise my UNACs aren't usually very competitive. I'd love to know how to build a UNAC that really drives home and takes people out.
Stay tuned! :D
Light can be just as blinding as Darkness. Bring some Sunglasses.