Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Invasion map: Lighthouse 12, Big changes made and now pictures

FeanorOnForge
This post was updated on .
Firstly ty for the portfolio!

secondly: here is Lighthouse 12!

it was the first map I started building and first to complete (to the testing stage, tested several times now and changes are ever afoot) even if I've started other projects inbetween :)

The covenant have taken over one of a series of forerunner information relays (the 12th in the ring) and have wired up an AI core to it, using the massive computational power of the relay they have been hacking battle-net whenever they like. So the Spartants have gone in, to not only stop them, but to steal the AI core and bring it back. the relays position and shape makes it look a little like a lighthouse so the mission is codenamed "Lighthouse 12".

Lighthouse 12

so a little background:
This is an invasion map that has gone through many extreame changes. It is now standard terr/terr/core format and needs Spartans to attack. phase 1: securing a beachead landing to bring in heavier support. 2: take controle of the access buildings and secure the area. 3 push for the lighthouse and the core.

the map was designed to flow well but have a very different combat feel in each stage so people who love different styles (from range to vehicle) all get their style of play at some point.

my fav point: the somewhat random liftbooster combo thing I built just cos its fun and is somthing I dont see much in maps, I put it in to see if you could have somthing big and diff while still being playable.

New pics since the changes:

Phase 1: spartans start at the back (behind the camera) and push for the two objectives shown here. during the 3rd phase the landing pad is where a falcon spawns.

Phase 2: These are the two structures that can be captured. In the second image the small glass tunnel attached to the side of the structure is where a teleporter spawns in the final phase to allow vehicles and ppl to get up to the top fast. the first image is the base of the grav booster/lift thingy, I may alter this more.

Phase 3: The first shot is a pic from the end of the booster/lift thingy. This boosts you to the top at great speed but drops you centre-field. the second shot is the view from one of the boosters up to a platform on the "lighthouse" and the 3rd is a ranged view of it.

-Feanor

ps. alot of the posts below are a form of change-log so I can keep track of what I've altered at diff times but I do also greatly love feedback both negative and positive so do leave some!
"Not all who wander are Lost"

GT: FEAN0RPHOENIX
Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: Invasion map: Lighthouse 12

FeanorOnForge
ok so I got a 4v3 going on the map (YAY!) to test how it ran and to check for issues etc.

and.... well it was great fun, I admit it was with a group that would be great fun on any gametype but it played well and I got some really good feedback from them.

The general concensus was it played well and was for the most part balanced (there was a small issue with defender spawn time in the first stage but I have moved the defender spawn in question so hopefully have addressed this) people seemed to think it flowed well and that with a few minor tweeks to weapon spawns which I've now made that they worked well.

one issue was raised about my gravlift/booster thing which spontaniously fails ant random times for reasons none of us could fathom, this failure lead to player death so I have made annother tweak to it and am praying it works 100% of the time now not just 70% but will be asking advice in serious discussion about it :)

so basically I'm as happy as can be right now as I made a map that worked. Now its just the 6v6 and forger feedback tests to go...

Reply | Threaded
|  

Ramen 6378
In reply to this post by FeanorOnForge
Hey, glad to see you put this up here! Your link isn't working, by the way.
Reply | Threaded
|  

FeanorOnForge
aaahhh ty for the heads up, I forgot I had made some changes and uploaded it again

so edited and now with working link :)

Reply | Threaded
|  

Ramen 6378
Downloaded. I'll try to take a look at it soon, maybe even test it with 6v6. I'll get back to you once I do.
Reply | Threaded
|  

FeanorOnForge
A couple more updates have been made, new version is up, the link will change the link in a min

Reply | Threaded
|  

FeanorOnForge
Ok got my first 6v6 test (thanks guys who were there) and sadly many changes are needed I think:

1. The first area will be recieving a second target zone near the landing pad as it was needle heavy defence if there wasnt proper supportive DMR work.
2. The core will be made more accessable somehow as ppl didnt realise about the jetpack routes leaving them only one main route up to the core. maybe a man-cannon route or somthing else, I will have a think about it more and see what I come up with.
3. general fiddling or some weapon and incentive placements.

HOWEVER luckily it was still fun overall even with the balance issues and I think it has potential so I will keep working on it and try and make it better.

Reply | Threaded
|  

xFingeR PaiNtx
I will download and check the map later today.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Berb
That sounds like a promising invasion map. I worked with a similar concept for an invasion about a week ago. Some pictures of the map would be extremely helpful. I guess I'll download it and have a look around.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Reply | Threaded
|  

FeanorOnForge
I'm waiting on server issues to finish to upload the new version which has several significant changes along with some pics, should be done tonight if the server ever comes back on as its still not atm.

Edit: server is still not allowing me to update the map on my fileshare, or access it at all really so will update it tommorw I hope

Also just got a mini test with the changes and it seems to be running smoothly and seems it will work better with them.
changes from the original I have implimented are:
1.second capture point in the first stage made by moving the landing pad closer to the attackers side and adapting it to have a back ramp in (and a shield to stop the falcon being spawn blasted). I then moved the defender spawns back into the rocks to give at leat 5 seconds of run time after spawn to get in a clear LOS of the objective.
2. there are now 2 man cannons boosting towards the "lighthouse" to make the core more accessable, these are at either side of the upper attack area. One boosts to the front entrance ramp at the base of the tower and the other boosts to a rear platform so this should hopefully make it less of a fortress to attack. (you still have to fight to the cannons but can bypass alot if you get to them, balancing is somthing I find hard to... get balanced lol)
3. various spawn tweaks for both sides and some weapons have been moved about a little. also added more grenades to the map just cos I like them and always run out.

Edit: new version is updated again :)

I think its getting to the stage where its a pretty playable and enjoyable map so I'm gonna work on trying to make my lighthouse look a bit better, as I'm not happy with the look of it atm, then just more testing and refining :)

Reply | Threaded
|  

FeanorOnForge
woo ok 3 pics I took very quickly this morning are added to the initial thread to give some idea of the map, I sadly had a series of pics taken from the 6v6 gameplay video but I took them while the server switch was happening and they are all bugged and I cant do anything with them atm.

maps at the stage of needing tested again as I've made a few minor tweaks again since testing last but I'm getting pretty hapy with it. may work on the vehicle and weapon spawn times a bit as some seem to appear too fast...

Reply | Threaded
|  

FeanorOnForge
wellI had a lan meet with some friends and had a few 6v6 games on here and I was very happy with it, still some small niggling issues that bothered me though no-one else noticed them (guess I am a perfectionist) and a couple of suggetions were made so the latest verion is up now, changed alot more as per usual with:

Boundries being moved to give the falcon more play room before it hits soft kill timers
Lift tweeks yet again
weapon spawn timers altered slightly
some astheic changes to make it look better, hopefully... still having major isues making the lift look good without wreaking it completly though.

Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: Invasion map: Lighthouse 12 (now with basic pictures)

WhiterSniper
This looks fantastic, downloaded and liked! Will be more than happy to join any future games for testing purposes, my GT is L1KE 2 SN1PE (notice the number "1" instead of the letter "I" in the words L1KE and SN1PE).
Maps made so far:

SKY SQUARE
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=21745683

TRANSITION
(not complete yet)
Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: Invasion map: Lighthouse 12 (now with basic pictures)

FeanorOnForge
Ty Whiter for the feedback, if I catch you on when testing I'll send an invite your way :)

ok and for the update:

CHANGES!

The map is massively different, following my long standing hatred of my own asthetics I rebuild the majority of stuff on the map. I have left the lift system with only minor tweeks for my paranoia level fear of breaking it but I have fully rebuilt the second phase side base and the lighthouse from scratch. also moved and changed rocks and grav lifts a bit.

Here I'd like to say a big thanks to SnoozieDoes for building part of the side base for me and making it look good. Ty man it was a big help

Now have nearly maxed out my money on the map and fear framerate drop in the lighthouse but its just so dam pretty compared to before. I'll be updating pics and trying to get a test on it soon methinks :) oh and its better balanced too.

-Feanor

Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: Invasion map: Lighthouse 12, Big changes made and now pictures

Flying Shoe ILR
This looks interesting, I may have tested a previous version of the map. Did phase 3 use to have a revenant? Anyway, here are my thoughts:

The beach area looks okay, though a little open. I'm not really sure that that area in particular is very interesting. I'm hoping spartans don't have to attack through the cave all the way to the objectives, as in my experience that cave is camp-able and frustrating in almost every map I have played. As long as offense spawns most o the way through the cave it should be fine. Your phase 2 structures look much nicer, though still a little bland. I like the verticality of the right side one coming out of the cave. As for phase 3, the tower looks far too camp-able, as several elites could just sit up there and with while others could shoot long range down onto advancing spartans. Generally you should be able to attack an objective from at least three directions, and right now it appears spartans have to rush blindly through almost no cover than they have only one route (maybe two?) to the core. Bringing it back would be no easy task either, so more cover and a more complex tower would help. I can see a lot of potential in this design, but right now it feels very unfinished and a little sloppy as well. Good luck with this!
Reply | Threaded
|  

FeanorOnForge
Hey ty for the feedback Flying Shoe :) and yes you played an older version (the revenant is still in there cos I just like them!) and your right, its a bit sloppy and unfinished atm cos I'm stuck on it...

As you say about the cave: Originally the spawns were far back but now they have been moved close to the exit of the cave so the spartans can start 1 sprint away from the near side objective.  So while some camping can take place it is greatly reduced now. And you never need to run the whole way through unless you spawn at the back for a vehicle and your team drives off with all the vehicles.

Your right about the campable last stage- its been causeing a few issues. the currents routes there are by foot/vehicle to the main door, 2 man-cannons (one boosts you almost right up to the front door, one to a small platform at the rear of the tower) rear route up the cliff by jet pack and bail out of the falcon. However I'm sadly not happy with it at all right now-  while it is playable and fun the problems you mentioned regularly come up. I'm sadly thinking I need to move the entire "lighthouse" tower down from the corner of the raised area to the middle of the flat, restructure it to have more entrances and reduce the campability.

Atm the maps on hold while I work on a diff map and think how I need to alter it. once I get back to it and make changes I'd love you to look again and see if I addressed your concerns

Reply | Threaded
|  

Flying Shoe ILR
Yeah, I think moving the lighthouse to the center of the ground would be best, as defense could spawn back behind it instead of in front or inside it and more entrances could be made.