classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Is Halo 4 forging dead?

mrgreenwithagun
I asked some time back if this forum has died regarding forging. Now I am noticing that forging in general for Halo 4 has died. Is 343i even looking for community material any longer? If so, what are they looking for? Which playlists?

I have never seen so little activity before immediately after a community map submission had begun like it did a couple months ago... Just curious what others thought...
Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: Is Halo 4 forging dead?

noklu
Administrator
I suspect Forge has lost its appeal to many, for whatever reasons. Perhaps the bar has been raised; over the past years there has been an increase in quality of custom maps (if you track right back to Halo 3, you'll see what I mean) and therefore it is more difficult to "break into the game". Perhaps 343i has mismanaged the community. Perhaps it is just old now.
The otters are coming with whiskers honed to razor blades.
Know this and fear.

Email me at xnoklu[at]gmail.com should you need to contact me.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Randy 355
In reply to this post by mrgreenwithagun
I wouldn't say it's dead, but it most certainly isn't as popular as it was in Reach. Why? I'd say a lot of it has to do with the lack of the online fileshare for the first 4ish months. It was harder to get content out there, harder to get feedback on it, and harder to get to the higher ups responsible for matchmaking evaluation to look at it. Now that all of that stuff is up, the people who gave up before likely have no interest to start up again.

That said, I do still see people posting new maps on Forge Hub, and the occasional map on 343i's forums. And I also think noklu is right about the quality of maps these days. The maps that are really good are mostly the only ones getting attention. Like I said, feedback is harder to come by, so I can't say I blame people for giving up when nobody wants to aid them.

343i has been adding Community maps into Halo 4's matchmaking. Team Doubles, Team Slayer, Swat, and I even think Team Objective got some. I'd say BTB is overdue, but splitscreen would surely have issues with that. I myself am working on a Team Slayer map and I still hope maybe they'll consider my remake of The Pit. Though, there isn't much demand for remakes in matchmaking it seems.
Reply | Threaded
|  

deathxxrenegade
I just started getting back into it, check Earth Temple out in my portfolio. If you need help or a tester let me know.
To command the past you control the future. To command the future you conquer the past.    

Kane
Reply | Threaded
|  

mrgreenwithagun
In retrospect, Halo4 is suffering from a lack of population, so I guess I shouldn't be so surprised that forging isn't as popular either.
Reply | Threaded
|  

deathxxrenegade
That is true, I noticed that yesterday when I got on....
To command the past you control the future. To command the future you conquer the past.    

Kane
Reply | Threaded
|  

Thrashh
The community as a whole is dead. The fucking franchise is dead. All thanks to 34fail.

I know it's irrational and a little psychotic, but I have developed a seething hatred for the people calling the shots at that company, and wouldn't mind seeing them get smacked around a bit, whether it's because of the fact that they're phony, dishonest, smug little pricks or just very unintelligent people.

Let's see what they do with that bit of feedback. I'd post it on waypoint directly, but I got perm'd for not ending at least 50% of my posts with 'haha' or ':)'.
Reply | Threaded
|  

FuN Fortress
I think that just a smug ">implying that Halo 4orging was alive to begin with" will suffice for my opinion on the matter.

Personally, it was a lot of things for me that slowly drove me away from the Forge scene. Lack of general activity here from the older members that I started out with was a huge part of it, I don't think I could really get into it without everybody else. The timing of Halo 4 having an active playerbase was also an issue for me, as I just had other things going on. The community was much harder to reach in my opinion, because of a combination of XForgery kicking the bucket a thousand or so years ago, File Shares being something in H4 that I've never used (I haven't played that game recently, so I don't even know if they're online yet), and just a lack of easy ways to get content directly onto Waypoint as opposed to bungie.net with their old groups and boards dedicated to it. Now we just have a conglomeration of threads dumped into a singular Forge thread. The File Shares taking twelve centuries to be brought online also really killed the experience for me, it was just simply harder to be a part of the community with Halo 4 as opposed to Reach. It's kind of sad, too, seeing as H4 was an all around better game in my opinion. Oh well, the community has been reduced to what seems like a few thousand regular players, and it's doubtful that I'm going to put so much energy into trying to come up with anything in a ghost town.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Psychosis687
The current state of Halo 4 is comparable to the ass-end of Halo 3, before Halo: Reach came out.
DavidJCobb: "He was in Sniper Chat."
Reply | Threaded
|  

DavidJCobb
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Thrashh
I think that Halo 4 Forging isn't dead, but it's certainly dying.

Nearly every improvement that Certain Affinity introduced to the Forge was either sub-par, or was decent but could've been done better. Meanwhile, the regressions in functionality that they introduced are just insane. We have no fine-editing, we have no zoom, the handling of large objects is just broken, maps "helpfully" prevent geo-merging way too often, every canvas available at launch was sub-par... I could go on. I have no doubt that CA had the best of intentions, but it's painfully obvious that they have no experience with consumer-oriented map editors. Even Forge Island doesn't come close to truly repairing the damage that was done.

On top of that, we're missing gametypes (and 343i hasn't done anything so far to remedy that issue), which gives people less stuff to Forge for. The in-game File Browser has stagnated (in addition to being a bit clunkier than its Reach counterpart), and tons of opportunities for UI and UX improvements were missed. It's 2013; we shouldn't have to use means external to the game just to have even a slight idea of the quality of a file that we see in-game.

The worst problem, though? The lack of population -- not just due to Halo 4's flaws, but also due to the franchise itself no longer being trendy. This wouldn't be such an issue if 343i had made some attempt to make it easier to find Custom Games to join -- it wouldn't even have to be a Matchmaking system; an extension to the Active Roster combined with something like a clan system would be enough -- but lobbies aren't any more discoverable than they were in Reach. (In fact, we've seen regressions there, too, since Halo 4's Active Roster doesn't care to give us critical information about the in-game activities of other players.)

Basically, we have worse tools to work with, less terrain to work with, less gametypes to work with, less players to work for, and less opportunities to test what work we can and are motivated to do. Custom Games and Forge have regressed on all fronts, and though 343i have done their best to repair the damage, it's simply not enough. Forge has taken a massive leap back, and nothing short of a complete overhaul in Halo 5 can fix that.

EDIT: Removed comments that might have derailed the thread.
Reply | Threaded
|  

FuN Fortress
I agree, Cobb, that it's not as if 343i was intentionally trying to make the Forge experience ass (I see them catch a lot of flak for some reason, and I just can't wrap my head around why), but certain things were just ham-fisted into submission, and are just now getting attention this late in the game's life. While I don't think any of that justifies the outright hatred that tends to get thrown 343's way, I do hope that they can take this in stride and significantly improve upon the experience the next time around. After all, this was their first time playing around with something like this (I'm assuming, anyway), and they can probably use the experiences from Halo 4 to make the next Forge worth playing around with.
Reply | Threaded
|  

deathxxrenegade
Well. I agree. There is a lot missing from forge that should be there. People always said that I should rethink my reasons for forging because I was pissed that there were no trees in the forge maps (untill the islands of course, that made me happier). As I look at it, theres not PLANTS in the maps. There very bland. I think the other thing starting to hurt Halo is it's age. It's been around for a long time now and all the annoying, premature, talk too much children that made the bulk of the player base have grown up and gotten a life leaving us old guys going WTF.  Since, however, I know you guys are checking this thread, can you guys check out my portfolio and look at the pics in Earth Temple? I may never get it play tested, but I still would like opinions.

Kane