classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

LBP UNAC Ideas?

Raizo
So I'm a pure MBP Vendetta blader on PSN (I've gotten pretty good at it), and I typically run solo with 3 of my HRJ unacs - Or if I'm bored of blading I run a pure HRJ UNAC team. I've had success with my HRJs & minimal success with my MBP UNAC builds. I'm posting now to see if anyone has any suggestions for a decent LBP UNAC that can keep distance and deal decent damage. ATM I've been entertaining my UNACs with dual sniper rifles, and plasma missiles, but the sniper rifles just haven't been effective enough at dealing damage, because they miss :3

So here are some questions I have:

Is there any other KE based loadouts other than GAT or Sniper rifles that work?

If the UNAC runs sniper rifles, should it run sub comps?

Sometimes they don't create proper distance between targets, Is this due to evasion chips?

LBPs have low AP as it is, should they even bother with shields, and if so what's the most suitable (KE,CE,TE)?

Is a Physical blade UNAC build the least bit viable, has anyone had success at all?

Lastly, If I sacrifice missiles for sub comps, I am left with only long range KE options since I can't imagine an energy efficient LBP surviving very long on the battle field. Am I wrong, or are laser rifles best left to every other leg type?

EDIT: Oh yea, does the FCS parameter on weapon chips dictate whether UNACs wait for red lock? I always thought it was purely adjusted to make them continue firing during FCS malfunction (due to flash rockets/jammers). Is this why they miss?
Everybody wants to use Vendetta blades, but nobody wants to die...
Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: LBP UNAC Ideas?

Sash
Administrator
Raizo wrote
Is there any other KE based loadouts other than GAT or Sniper rifles that work?
You shouldn't rely on any one damage type to carry a loadout... Gats and Snipers are just about the best that you're going to get, but you can try shotguns. Shotguns are not especially consistent, but they can be wielded to great effect on a UNAC.

Raizo wrote
If the UNAC runs sniper rifles, should it run sub comps?
Yeah. They'll sometimes be able to blue lock but it is uncommon for them to be able to land many hits at long range and close range.

Raizo wrote
Sometimes they don't create proper distance between targets, Is this due to evasion chips?
Thissssssss depends. Evasion chips will activate when within certain ranges. If your mobility chips don't fit well with your evasion chips, silly things will happen. You might want to take a look at the differences in range between your movement and evasion chips.

Further, your mobility chips might be tripping over each other, so to speak. If you have a chip running with the sequence setting, you're going to execute your movement chips one after another. If your ranges are off on those, the UNAC can get confused when trying to maintain the range for activating its evasion chips. The same thing happens with the chip which allows for probability-dictated movements, but this can be ironed out by testing.

Raizo wrote
LBPs have low AP as it is, should they even bother with shields, and if so what's the most suitable (KE,CE,TE)?
Uhhh... I would say no. If you're totally hardcore, you'll run something like a TE Shield and a Laser Cannon. If you don't plan on going too far off the beaten path though, you're probably going to want to skimp on shields and just bring weapons you're comfortable with.

Raizo wrote
Is a Physical blade UNAC build the least bit viable, has anyone had success at all?
Well I tried but it wasn't the most effective. It will get hits off, that's for sure, but it tends to trade a lot of AP to get its hits in. I can't exactly explain; it will attack in melee range, and it will hit reliably. However, it will float JUST OUTSIDE of melee range for the longest time and will not dodge. I have tried a variety of things to make the damn thing attack and move in and such, but it just doesn't work well :(

Raizo wrote
Lastly, If I sacrifice missiles for sub comps, I am left with only long range KE options since I can't imagine an energy efficient LBP surviving very long on the battle field. Am I wrong, or are laser rifles best left to every other leg type?
Well I think that TE gear works great on LWs. I wouldn't say long range is the way to go, but you can try it out and see for yourself.

Raizo wrote
EDIT: Oh yea, does the FCS parameter on weapon chips dictate whether UNACs wait for red lock? I always thought it was purely adjusted to make them continue firing during FCS malfunction (due to flash rockets/jammers). Is this why they miss?

Er, what? If you mean FCS Response or whatever? I think that's just what makes them attempt to attack when their FCS doesn't work. Dunno if it's worth it, you probably can leave that turned off.
Light can be just as blinding as Darkness. Bring some Sunglasses.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: LBP UNAC Ideas?

Quarter_Tilt
In reply to this post by Raizo
UNACs don't understand cover, and can only play a lukewarm offense at best. They also don't try very hard to maintain a proper distance when on defense. Because of this, they use sniper rifles very poorly(and they fire on blue lock regardless of settings; lowering lock computation just makes them dumber) and are best equipped with fast-lock weapons with firing speed no higher than that of the slowest rifle.

This said, their energy management is perfect, and their boost timing is surgical. I had a degree of success with a team of LRJs using low consumption boosters(though high-boosting limits turning speed, so frequent boosts will make a UNAC vulnerable to close-combat tactics).

As for ideas, I recommend that you try loading your UNACs with specialized and overlapping weapon setups -laser rifles and VTF missiles for quads and HRJs, HEAT machine guns and plasma missiles for LBPs and LRJs... you get the idea. Just keep your UNACs grouped up so that they can cover each other, as lighter mechs will have less all-purpose effectiveness. I'd say that you actually can't afford to use GATS, as space is at a premium, but the UNACs will still need some general purpose weaponry to cover for casualties, so maybe try putting those tiny gats in the bays if they'll fit. Shields are totally viable so as to cover for a weakness to something like HEAT machine guns, but the hit to firepower and mobility will make for protracted battles, which lighter mechs fare poorly in -only use them if a certain mech dies early in every match.

I hope that helps - I spend more time programming and building than I do fighting, so my advice could very well miss the mark by a long shot.