classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Let's Talk Story

A Kool Pop Tart
[YO! This thread will contain spoilers. So if y'all haven't finished Campaign yet, what are you doin lookin at this thread?!]

So let's discuss. I've noticed that in both ACV and ACVD it appeared that From was trying to make a more linear, more western storyline than the previous two games, and I think it's hurting them. For one thing, neither of the story modes were any good, and for another it was almost as if the developers were trying way too hard to explain several things at once, or even failing to explain things when it really called for it (mostly the latter).

For instance, is Reaper Squad completely artificial or is J the only one. Who created them and why? How many Reapers are there? Why weren't they all NEXT's because if they were able to resurrect White Glint, I'm sure they could find a way to build a bastardized version of Noblesse Oblige, Stasis, or Reiterpallasch! The list of questions goes on and on to the point that they all collect to form as single phrase.

"HUH!?"

If someone asked me what 4/FA were about, I'd say that one was about a mercenary who was fighting to defend his home, and that the other was about a mercenary who rose through the ranks as an independent fighter and he is suddenly forced to pick sides. If someone asked me what V/VD were about, I can honestly say that I have no idea...You got to fight White Glint and some mecha that looked suspiciously similar to the first boss in Ocarina of Time, and that you got to fight a bunch of drones...But other than that, there was no underlying theme.

When AC6 comes out, I do hope that they go back to the sort of story telling they used in 4/FA. Sure, the story wasn't great, but I've heard AC stories were never that great to begin with, but playing through them was fun.

What do you think?
"Waypoint Contractors; Fighting your wars so you don't have too! PANZER VOR!"

Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: Let's Talk Story

Intercessor
I think Last Raven was the last time Armored Core had a halfway decent storyline with multiple endings, trash talking AC's and so on.

If you told my younger self that *this* [4/FA/5/VD] would be the evolution of the AC franchise, I'd call you a fucking liar.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Sash
Administrator
Intercessor wrote
If you told my younger self that *this* [4/FA/5/VD] would be the evolution of the AC franchise, I'd call you a fucking liar.
Younger Leetwheats must have been a prick. :D
Light can be just as blinding as Darkness. Bring some Sunglasses.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Croodle
In reply to this post by A Kool Pop Tart
I found the story of V very easy to take in. I do not understand where all of this so-called confusion stemmed from.
The way I see it, was that only a few people thought that the story of V was hard to understand, and everyone else just started to play follow the leader.
I prefer to drown myself in self-deprecation.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Hetalynx
V has a rich storyline and a lot of nagging bits that can make you speculate. Hell, I can speculate all day why the City adopted "Odi et Amo" (I hate, yet I love) for its motto.

VD's storyline is bare-bones. It's even more of an excuse plot than V already is. I--I don't even know.

Thematically, VD rehashes themes from Armored Core Master of Arena and Silent Line, what with Foundation essentially a combination of Raven's NEST and AIO. The whole Last Raven-esque "the last merc on Earth" thing didn't work out that well, because the game doesn't tell who hires you for these jobs in the first place.

It would have been more sensible for mercs, after being used and discarded by the Three Forces, bands together to make some sort of a merc-only organization. But alas, none of the sort.

Also Zodiacs>>>Reaper Squad (excepting the whole Black Glint thing).
"But what do I stick into mechgirls? Fuel rods?"
Reply | Threaded
|  

Intercessor
In reply to this post by Sash
ZenosParadox wrote
Intercessor wrote
Younger Leetwheats must have been a prick. :D
And always will be.

On a side note: XXI Rape Ass Legion - I wonder what happened to all the previous Rape Ass Legions. Probably shamed from the silly name.

Back on topic - V's story line was never 'confusing' in my opinion, merely it lacked any real cohesion. Characters like Rosery, RD and so on are completely uncharismatic, and leaves the player with no sympathy concerning their role in the story.

VD was much better put together what with the extra tid bits of lore and better character development [Fatman and Maggy, for sure] but it still falls very short of a good narrative on account of introducing new factors [special AC units, Reaper, NEXT, etc] but with little explanation or back story except 'They must be from inside the towers!' or 'It's the Foundation!'. It's not horrible, but it's weak. They include lore, but keep it as barebones minimum as they can.

Further, they had the opportunity to introduce multiple endings to the Storyline once again since there are three factions to work for, but passed it up for a linear 'Dark Raven vs everything/Foundation' story. Whomever writes for the Armored Core franchise currently needs a good fat cockslap, in my opinion.

Simply because the newest game doesn't have a terrible story shouldn't win it any praise.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Sash
Administrator
Intercessor wrote
And always will be.

On a side note: XXI Rape Ass Legion -
Dude I love how I can just edit your messages and remove all the BM if I really wanted to.

Anyways, V could be interpreted many ways because it was vague. V-Day is really lackluster because every little thing is explained in those after-action reports we get, and there doesn't seem to be any really substantial back story to any of the enemies.

For example, REAPER SQUAD OMG, well, not as cool as Zodiac. Zodiac had all kinds of mystery around it. Reaper Squad just shows up and is like "Hey we're pretty cool". It isn't interesting at all. You are baited into fighting a Reaper Squad LW in the story and it doesn't feel significant at all. I brushed that thing aside in about seven seconds. There wasn't anything special about it.

However, you compare that to the Zodiacs and it's a totally different scenario. Zodiac ACs have an interesting little tidbit to say before encountering you, and there are several of them scattered throughout the story, hidden by special conditions. It's awesome to hunt the Zodiacs, while it's pretty lame to fight Reaper Squad ACs. Even the Reaper Tank fight is downplayed. Two UNACs just derp across the map while the tank just... doesn't really threaten you at all.

It would have been totally different if there were some kind of lead-up into that fight, as opposed to just a back-to-back fight after the Reaper Sniper battle. Simply, further advancement into the level followed by more plot exposition would have done wonders. Especially like how in V the long tunnel missions oftentimes have a bit of a discussion going between the supporting characters while you're proceeding from one area to another in the dark. IDK, it felt nostalgic for me for some reason.
Light can be just as blinding as Darkness. Bring some Sunglasses.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Parry
the reaper tank is pretty fucking evil without a sniper cannon in that mission.

the thing is actually decently built and his AI isn't completely shit.
"Those who seek absolute power are the absolute corruptible."
Reply | Threaded
|  

Dracheseele
The only thing i think particularly confused people with V was the tutorial, seeing as it was a precognitive dream. And possibly with Story 00 being a prologue.

I feel Verdict day doesn't have many really strong personalities within the cast. Partially due to the lack of characters though. Even the Foundation man is nowhere near as delightfully manic as the Chief. One of my favorite missions in V was Story 03 because of Fran and Rosary's fighting and teasing. Even the order mission subplots showed alot of varying emotions. You get so see a lot of sides to the characters in V.

AC2's story was pretty neat though. It was more political in nature rather than being heavily focused on some chosen one. Had to do with the mars government rebelling against the Earth. And seeing how the Earth forces were comprised of mercenaries with thier own ambitions, they in turn had thier own coup d'etat.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Ryas
There's actually a lot more to VD's story than is shown in the game. There's a lot of extra lore to be found on the ACVD Link site... for the Japanese version of the game. The JP ACVD Link site had an "Archive" feature that would unlock secret profiles, side stories, and notes on various things in V and Verdict Day, but this feature was completely removed from the international version of the website. Instead they're posting the info on the official Facebook page, of all things.

http://pastebin.com/Y4AMbSPv
Reply | Threaded
|  

MadGeaR
Would be cool if the Reaper Squad were re-animated Zodiac members. I don't find the story confusing though. It's actually my thoughts on a what-if story when humans were an advanced race from another planet who has lost the knowledge after some intergalactic exodus gone wrong. Trigun for example. ACV sounds a lot like planet gunsmoke with the Dark Raven as the Plant plot of Trigun. It also makes the abundance of mercenaries more logical. Verdict Day, seems to mark the end of the system by establishing this new world order.

I guess history will repeat itself after that.

But if you ask me. i'd surely want an arcade room just for this game

Integrated touchscreen Operator's Desk

Fully functional cockpit controls

>2-handed movement stick with
--weapon trigger functions
--secondary buttons(just like magazine drop button for handguns) for weapon change function. holding the buttons will purge the current weapon.
--left thumb button recon function
--right thumb button shoulder weapon function

>boost toggle pedal (right)
--pressure sensitive glide boost function

>jump function pedal (left)
>quick boost function pedal (mid)
--no double tap kick function
--pressure sensitive kick function

>first person goggles
--integrated to head movement (camera and turning performance is limited to parts stats)
--one-eye detection triggers scan mode
--eye movement detects target change

Also, an easy mode where scan mode is automatic when triggers are not utilized
advantage
maximum energy conservation
can use depth perception with two eyes

disadvantage
delayed lock down for primary weapons (except for built-in weapon arms)
multiple lock downs are available only when triggers are utilized
charged weapons cannot be cancelled

and movement pistons for a realistic feel (too bad for the operator though, but he gets a touch screen function and probably can draw route lines in the map just to annoy his teammates)
Light shines the brightest
At the heart of darkness
Reply | Threaded
|  

Parry
The entire Reaper squad are people, or at least that's what I believe. They act like people for the most part, and they did make the mistake of starting shit with the player character.

tldr VD is alot like a more bare-bones version of SLAC's story line

New AI is developed, widely used by x y and z factions, and shit hits the fan because company who made new AI caused it to go berserk.
"Those who seek absolute power are the absolute corruptible."