Looking to test a map? Some suggestions.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Looking to test a map? Some suggestions.

Dj7291993
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Ok, so one thing I see a lot from new member is threads looking for testers.  Now, there is nothing wrong with this, except it is really not necessary here.  Here at RP (ReachingPerfection), pretty much every night, there is a group of us chilling, playing, and testing.  So, getting a testing group together isn't needed.  Also, we aren't very structured, so trying to get us all on at a certain time doesn't always work very well.  So, as much as we love to see a thread about your map, let me give you some suggestions on how to get it tested.

First, get yourself known here on the forum.  This step isn't entirely needed, but it helps us recognize you.  Not saying you need to have 1000 posts, just get people to recognize your name.

Second, start adding the people you see around the forums on xbl.  Most of us have our GTs in our signatures.  If you don't yet, I would add it.  If your not sure if they will recognize you, send them a message first, saying you are from RP.  If they've got room, most of the time, they'll add you.

Third, join the customs.  If it's open, join em.  If you get invited, and you're not busy, join em.  You're not going to get tests done all by yourself.

Fourth, play their maps.  Being part of a community means you give back.  You can't expect them to give you their time if you don't show you are willing to do the same.  And don't test them just to test them  Play them, have fun, and GIVE FEEDBACK.  This is vital in testing, and as I said before, if you want it from them, give it first.

Finally, when they ask if anyone wants host, speak up.  This probably won't get given to you your first time, just be patient.  But when it does, this is you chance.  Be sure not to waste it on some map that is no where near play-ready.  Also, after you get your testing, pass leader on.  If no one else wants it, then you can test some more, or just start a game on a great map you downloaded.  Just be sure to be civil.  Remember, you want to come back.

That's pretty much it.  Sometimes you will have to "call" host next, but usually, you'll get your chance.  If you have any questions, feel free to ask, here or on xbl.  Well, that's all for now, see you around, folks.

Note:  If you don't already have one, I would HIGHLY suggest getting a mic.  I think the mic and chatpad set are like 20 bucks.  It's worth the investment, trust me.

EDIT (6/22/11): This was written before the "A 01 Perfect" Gamertag was created.  I haven't had a chance to rewrite it (more of edit, but still), so I'll just nore it here.  I would highly recommend adding that gamertag, as, through it, you can find the members.  Helps save room on friend lists (like Godly's).  If you play with them enough, they'll probably add you to their friends list for easier access. ;)

~Josh Hollinrake, Dj7291993

Email Me - Admin Message Box - My Portfolio

"Dreamers Dream, Doers Do, Achievers Achieve, But Champions Do It ALL." ~The Goads

"A man cannot directly choose his circumstances, but he can choose his thoughts, and so indirectly, yet surely, shape his circumstances." ~James Allen (As a Man Thinketh)

Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: Looking to test a map? Some suggestions.

Nikatorus
Administrator
In before thread was pinned.

At least I hope it will be. This is kind of important.
Currently: Temporarily Active
Reply | Threaded
|  

Dj7291993
Administrator
ya, kinda one of those "read before you post" things.  Glad you think so.

"Dreamers Dream, Doers Do, Achievers Achieve, But Champions Do It ALL." ~The Goads

"A man cannot directly choose his circumstances, but he can choose his thoughts, and so indirectly, yet surely, shape his circumstances." ~James Allen (As a Man Thinketh)

Reply | Threaded
|  

WolfpackDragon
Administrator
This should definitely get pinned. Would have helped me a lot when I joined.
 I don't know what to put on here so I will just say Hi. HI! Also, I'm Maximo Vara and I'm 90%ish certain that I approve of this message.
Reply | Threaded
|  

SnoozieDoes
In reply to this post by Dj7291993
That's most about it. Get friends, get testes. Forging sites are great places to find them, cause it can be hard to find good people on xbl.
Photobucket
Reply | Threaded
|  

SecretSchnitzel
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|  

AgentPaperCraft
I have been to many of these testing parties, and I can honestly say you guys have been the most help I have ever had getting groups together.

Do we have some kinda thread where we can request assisstance setting up extensive testing, like scheduling, maybe a group calendar when we can all label when were free to help and etc.?
Reply | Threaded
|  

UnexpectedBang
In reply to this post by SnoozieDoes
SnoozieDoes wrote
Get friends, get testes.
So sorry, but I absolutely had to point that out.
lulzy typo is lulzy

OT: I agree with paper, RP folks are quite useful, not to mention constructive, friendly, etc. (FFFFFUUUU etcetera syndrome)
GT: "Altblox" (0nemonth) or "UnexpectedBang"
Reply | Threaded
|  

SnoozieDoes
UnexpectedBang wrote
lulzy typo is lulzy
I am master of typo! Beware my power!

On topic, putting up games is sometimes hard cause of time difference, but in RP it's not a big problem. Just wanted to point that out.

Photobucket
Reply | Threaded
|  

IMyEndI
Thanks for helping me test mah map guys, naow time to get to work >-<
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience - Some random guy
Reply | Threaded
|  

SatansReverence
Couldn't see it posted here (not sure if it should be but) people looking to test maps should add the A 01 testing gamertag. Helped me with testing my map with a few of the RP guys and some b.netters earlier. Learned a few valuable things about it's setup.
GT is SatansReverence
Reply | Threaded
|  

Dj7291993
Administrator
SatansReverence wrote
Couldn't see it posted here (not sure if it should be but) people looking to test maps should add the A 01 testing gamertag. Helped me with testing my map with a few of the RP guys and some b.netters earlier. Learned a few valuable things about it's setup.
You're right, but I wrote this before we got the gt.  I'll get around to updating it... eventually.  For now, I need to fill out some contracts and W4/I9s.

Reply | Threaded
|  

Gnappy As5A5sin
Should probably edit in the silver tag too eh?
(edit)oh. I'm freaking blind.
On Skype Wolfpack Dragon wrote
"i came on the radio so I had to mention it"
Reply | Threaded
|  

xFingeR PaiNtx
Good to know
Sent you a friend request on XBL btw.
Reply | Threaded
|  

WolfpackDragon
Administrator
SMT (Scheduled Map Testing) 
Please direct people to Homer's threads in some way  shape or form please. We could possibly rewrite the entire thing if you think the state of the site is changing or if we want to encourage people to get together instead of discourage.  Let me know if you want me to do anything.

I'm also considering removing my request thread or at least removing the sticky. If you see it fit, feel free to remove the sticky we had on that thread.

I don't know what to put on here so I will just say Hi. HI! Also, I'm Maximo Vara and I'm 90%ish certain that I approve of this message.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Dj7291993
Administrator
Well, I'd kinda like to keep the idea behind it, as it is a good way to build rep; however, I agree that our methods for getting maps tested has been changed.  While I would love to rewrite it, I haven't been in even a custom game for ages, so I'm not the most knowledgeable person on the subject.  If you are willing to write something up, feel free to do so.  I think it would be goo to have the idea here, as well as the new ways that we have gained to get your maps tested.  I would just link in it to Homer's thread.  If you want to write one, then we can switch them out when it's done.  You might put it in site affairs until you get it finished, but it's up to you.  Also, yes, the play-test request thread probably should be dropped.