Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Lucas born with Hypothyroidism :(

GodlyPerfection
Administrator
:(

Today we got a call saying that the blood work that we did last week showed signs of Lucas having Hypothyroidism. We did another test today and it confirmed that these signs were not false.

Hypothyroidism in babies is a serious issue and puts him at serious risk for cretinism:

Children without enough thyroid hormone are at serious risk for cretinism, a condition that causes severe retardation in both physical and mental development. Cretinism is common in regions of the world where iodine is deficient, goiter is endemic, and screening is not performed. Worldwide, cretinism is the most common cause of mental retardation.

People who have cretinism suffer numerous problems. Growth is permanently stunted, and an adult will be well below normal height. Cretinism also causes the skin to be thick and flabby, and waxy in color. Most children with cretinism have a flattened nose and a protruding stomach. Gait and speech are notably slow, and intellectual development is seriously limited.
The road ahead is going to be a tough one. We can only hope for the best and hope that the treatment helps. No matter what though we will love him no less he'll always be our baby boy and we'll ensure that he grows up and lives life to the fullest.

Be forewarned that I may react a bit differently towards particular topics. Manda is taking it pretty hard. The both of us are scared, but hopeful. My optimism can only falter slightly... who knows what doesn't kill him may make him stronger giving him unique superhuman potential. A parent can dream...

URL: http://i55.tinypic.com/13yi6va.png

Wanna help spread the word about ReachingPerfection.com at other sites? Use the image above and link back to us.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: Lucas born with Hypothyroidism :(

xFingeR PaiNtx
I feel sorry for you about the news but as you said what doesn't kill him makes him stronger. I hope things turn out for the better.
Reply | Threaded
|  

MythicFritz
Whoever Lucas becomes, he will have amazing parents to help him find his niche in life. I'll be praying for the three of you.
Reply | Threaded
|  

FeanorOnForge
Thats really hard, but the treatments can often make an amazing difference and your continued love for him will mean I'm sure he will have a good life no matter what happens
"Not all who wander are Lost"

GT: FEAN0RPHOENIX
Reply | Threaded
|  

Gnappy As5A5sin
In reply to this post by GodlyPerfection
Shit. Keep your heads up... Even if this turns for the worst, I know you two will give him the best. Keep us posted.
On Skype Wolfpack Dragon wrote
"i came on the radio so I had to mention it"
Reply | Threaded
|  

JPeloquin218
Oh my god, this is terrible, I'm so sorry for you both and hope everything works out. I can't imagine what you two are feeling.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Dj7291993
Administrator
Glad you seem to be taking it well.  Whatever happens, I know you and your family will make it.  I'll be praying for you guys.

~Josh Hollinrake, Dj7291993

Email Me - Admin Message Box - My Portfolio

"Dreamers Dream, Doers Do, Achievers Achieve, But Champions Do It ALL." ~The Goads

"A man cannot directly choose his circumstances, but he can choose his thoughts, and so indirectly, yet surely, shape his circumstances." ~James Allen (As a Man Thinketh)

Reply | Threaded
|  

havok644
Dude... that's really too bad man. Whatever happens to him, he has two great parents that will support him well!
Reply | Threaded
|  

Sven Nietzsche
MythicFritz wrote
Whoever Lucas becomes, he will have amazing parents to help him find his niche in life. I'll be praying for the three of you.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Der Flatulator
I am really sorry to hear this. All I can say is that I know you will be a great father. Don't let an illness cap his potential.
derflatulator@reachingperfection ~ $ $do || !$do ; try
try: command not found
derflatulator@reachingperfection ~ $ sudo rm -rf /
Reply | Threaded
|  

Road Rash
I ran across this post while exploring the rest of the forum.

I hope everthing is going well for your son. Having gone through a "scary" situation with my daughter 8 years ago when she was an infant, I know what you're going through. Our pediatrician thought there was an issue with her spine and we had to make several visits to a neurologist at Childrens Hospital in Milwaukee. Fortunately for my wife and I the scare turned out to be nothing.

Everything else pales in signifigance when dealing with your child.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

GAMERGODZBANNERFINAL600X149.jpg

Reply | Threaded
|  

Dj7291993
Administrator
Hey Ray, how's Lucas doing?

~Josh Hollinrake, Dj7291993

Email Me - Admin Message Box - My Portfolio

"Dreamers Dream, Doers Do, Achievers Achieve, But Champions Do It ALL." ~The Goads

"A man cannot directly choose his circumstances, but he can choose his thoughts, and so indirectly, yet surely, shape his circumstances." ~James Allen (As a Man Thinketh)