classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
 |  7 messages Options
Reply | Quote | Edit |  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Mapper's Block

FuN Fortress
Sigma Squadron
FuN Fortress
Hey, everybody. I know that the mapping section of the forums haven't been all too active lately, and I'm seeking some advice or more direct help. I've been going through a sort of writer's block with mapping lately, and I have no idea how to overcome it. I can't seem to start any projects, on paper or just by throwing random blocks together, and anything I do manage to come up with I scrap within minutes. I'm sure it's related, but I've been going through the same thing with drawing as well.

So, I'm wondering if anybody who's gone through this before has any tips to share on how they got through it. Or even something a little more direct, like working on some random map that one of you started a long time ago and never really did anything else with. I'm having trouble just coming up with a starting point, and I just figured I'd ask for some help.
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

Re: Mapper's Block

noklu
Legendary LurkerAdmin.
nokluu
I wrote an article, ages ago, on the blog about this.
Development of Ideas

That's all I have for you right now (currently paying attention to the Boston manhunt).
The otters are coming with whiskers honed to razor blades.
Know this and fear.

Email me at xnoklu[at]gmail.com should you need to contact me.
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

MythicFritz
MythicFritz
When all else fails, I take time off and dive fully into something totally unrelated then come back. And if you want, you can have a Halo 4 map I started but can't find time to finish.
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

FuN Fortress
Sigma Squadron
FuN Fortress
That's what I'm trying, just staying away from it for a while. Hopefully I'll come back to it able to just start and build like I used to. I'd appreciate the template, even if it's something I myself wouldn't finish. Just anything to get me started is really what I'm looking for. Thanks again, Fritz.
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

Gnappy As5A5sin
Gnappy As5A5sin
Play some minecraft. See something amazing. Devour some ancient art. Trace the roots of your favorite bands' influences back through the years till you end up with a historic event you didn't know about then dig some more. Fall into TV Tropes. Try to climb back out of TV Tropes. Carve something. Craft something. Fix your plumbing. Level a shelf. Take pride in the art of making something better. Ask your friends what to draw and do it in an hour, regardless of how shitty it looks, finish it and give it to them. Publicly. Play around  and find the fun in just playing tag. Hunt down a secret place nearby just for the thrill of finding it. Leave something odd outside and see how people interact with it.  Hit on a girl right in front of her guy then congratulate him for being so lucky. Talk to your heroes. Talk to your foes. Go watch some Vice on youtube. Find out what makes people tick, then make something that makes them tick even more. Take pride in the feeling it evokes and then make something else. Rediscover your curiosity and rediscover your players, and you will rediscover your drive to make a level.
On Skype Wolfpack Dragon wrote
"i came on the radio so I had to mention it"
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

noklu
Legendary LurkerAdmin.
nokluu
Gnappy As5A5sin wrote
Play some minecraft. See something amazing. Devour some ancient art. Trace the roots of your favorite bands' influences back through the years till you end up with a historic event you didn't know about then dig some more. Fall into TV Tropes. Try to climb back out of TV Tropes. Carve something. Craft something. Fix your plumbing. Level a shelf. Take pride in the art of making something better. Ask your friends what to draw and do it in an hour, regardless of how shitty it looks, finish it and give it to them. Publicly. Play around  and find the fun in just playing tag. Hunt down a secret place nearby just for the thrill of finding it. Leave something odd outside and see how people interact with it.  Hit on a girl right in front of her guy then congratulate him for being so lucky. Talk to your heroes. Talk to your foes. Go watch some Vice on youtube. Find out what makes people tick, then make something that makes them tick even more. Take pride in the feeling it evokes and then make something else. Rediscover your curiosity and rediscover your players, and you will rediscover your drive to make a level.
So this is pretty cool.

Creative energy is like any other energy: you need some creative food to digest into energy. Gnappy's got a good shopping list of food right there.
The otters are coming with whiskers honed to razor blades.
Know this and fear.

Email me at xnoklu[at]gmail.com should you need to contact me.
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

MythicFritz
MythicFritz
Next time you see me on Halo, shoot me an invite.