Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Me + Literature + Starting Youtube = Tigers and Snot

noklu
Administrator
So this channel, The Words Are Words, just started. The first video is here:

Tell yo' kids! Tell yo' wives! Tell yo' husbands! Tell yo' friends! Tell yo' not friends!
The otters are coming with whiskers honed to razor blades.
Know this and fear.

Email me at xnoklu[at]gmail.com should you need to contact me.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: Me + Literature + Starting Youtube = Tigers and Snot

GodlyPerfection
Administrator
LOVE IT!!! Fucking great Noklu...  well played. I really don't want to get into all that "cut" and combine style that has been prominent on youtube. But I might have to. It is so much better than just doing everything straight. Bleh... so when you capture, do you just do one sentence at a time with obvious breaks and then cut and combine them all?

URL: http://i55.tinypic.com/13yi6va.png

Wanna help spread the word about ReachingPerfection.com at other sites? Use the image above and link back to us.
Reply | Threaded
|  

noklu
Administrator
In reply to this post by noklu
Yeah, the cut and combine is very prominent on Youtube. That's mainly because it works: done well, the video becomes seamless and professional. I don't intend to stick around in that one style though. Right now, my takes are all very short because I'm not yet capable of stringing together multiple phrases and sentences in one take, but my intention is to lengthen it eventually. I figured: I'm starting out, so just learn all the rules inside out and then I can break them. That's like anything: only break the rules once you understand them perfectly - except for murder. That don't count.

I base what I'm saying off a script, and I've written it so it has natural subdivisions. I memorise the line and deliver it several times, repeating like a broken record until I'm satisfied with the sound and look of it. So, yes, everything is said on its own and then I cut it together on the editing board. But I make sure that how I'm delivering a line makes sense with what I just said and what I will say.

Be warned though: editing is a time-sucker. It takes me about half an hour to film everything and then two or three hours to edit. Then again, I've only edited a few things before, so it's a learning process.
Know this and fear.

Reply | Threaded
|  

GodlyPerfection
Administrator
Yeah editing can be a time sucker. I only spent like 20 minutes on a couple of takes, and then about the same time editing. Works better for my busier life. I typically don't want to chop up my sessions. I like the full straight session as it feels subconsciously more honest and I feel like it builds a strong connection between my viewers in me, building a sort of underlying trust. What you see is what you get philosophy with nothing to hide. You know? Which is why I typically don't cut up my video segments, if I do something wrong I will annotate or redo the take. Because it just feels more truthful. And getting in the habit of keeping everything short enough to remember is also a bonus, it makes sure that I get to the point. It was pointed out in Persuasive Speech that some of the absolute best speeches out there are shorter than pretty much everything else in comparison to similar formatted stuff. Like a shorter inaugural address being some of the best out there. I like the philosophy so I'm going to try to stick to it. Another focus is on extemporaneous speaking rather than scripted speaking. Makes it feel more organic.

URL: http://i55.tinypic.com/13yi6va.png

Wanna help spread the word about ReachingPerfection.com at other sites? Use the image above and link back to us.
Reply | Threaded
|  

noklu
Administrator
Yeah, absolutely.

There are advantages to either style, and I don't feel they are mutually exclusive. It depends on what you're doing, the purpose, and the audience. For news/commentary and gameplay, the extemporaneous, short, single takes definitely suits you. For me, it doesn't quite suit my purpose. I use a script, but I add things in as I see fit and change it up if I have a good idea. I've got a bit of an acting background, so scripting it doesn't make me stilted and dishonest - or at least I hope not!

In the end, it all depends on what you're doing and how you want to do it. There are many roads to the same golden destination. I like the feel of the road beneath my feet and I feel it's leading me to a good place. So long as you have that feeling, you're doing something right.

Did you see my post in your thread over in the AC forum? Where I gave some feedback on lighting etc.?
Know this and fear.

Reply | Threaded
|  

Sash
Administrator
I LOVE THIS. Noklu, sire my children please.

Jokes aside, this is fantastic. I look forward to more.
Light can be just as blinding as Darkness. Bring some Sunglasses.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: Me + Literature + Starting Youtube x3D Tigers and Snot

noklu
Administrator
This post was updated on .
ZenosParadox wrote
I LOVE THIS. Noklu, sire my children please.
;)

Let's! Roleplay: You can be the male seahorse.
Know this and fear.

Reply | Threaded
|  

WolfpackDragon
Administrator
This is excellent! I like the whole tiger thing and the way you went "RAW!" made me go "Ah!" There were a couple times the jump cuts felt a bit awkward though. Like at about 2:34, I feel like you cut off a sentence before it finished (talking about your accent). OMG! There is a picture in the beginning. I didn't notice that the first few times I watched the video. You might want to put that on a longer timer. About 4-6 seconds should as it will let people process not just the picture but the youtube page as well. Other than those few issues its great for a first video. I'm not saying that to be a prick or anything, I just know that you will get better the more you do it. I tried to make some videos a little while back and the first one I did is just... no. We shall not speak of that video.
 I don't know what to put on here so I will just say Hi. HI! Also, I'm Maximo Vara and I'm 90%ish certain that I approve of this message.
Reply | Threaded
|  

noklu
Administrator
Yeah, I know exactly the spots you're talking about. They mainly have to do with my delivery than with cut sentences, and there are parts where I had to snip out sentences. You should definitely not feel bad about giving advice and telling me what sucks: I love that kind of stuff. I know I'm not going to be perfect and I know I'm going to improve. So that's cool.

As for the title screen..well... I'm cutting that and changing it to something better. That was a bit of a rush job, and I figured I'd just slap an otter in there because -why not? and otters otters otters.
Know this and fear.