More Forum; Less Chat

Posted by GodlyPerfection GodlyPerfection  
Report Content as Inappropriate
      Options
So DIRT Jockey brought up the idea of having a live chat or shoutbox. This reminded me of why I was against it. A shoutbox/chat reduces activity in the forums and leaves out those who are not online to join the chat. If people are in the chat, why have the conversation on the forum? This just ends up having a ton of people miss out on conversations, making them feel left out. While a shoutbox does linger on the forums, it still reduces the amount of topics and replies on the forum, making our community look a lot less active than it is and as a result new members may see no reason to stay if activity isn't booming with stuff to reply to.

The reason I am bringing this up here is because we have a skype chat group and this has happened with them. If you are part of the skype chat group then I ask you to please stop holding a majority of your conversations there. You are segregating yourself from the people who do not have skype chat or aren't on at the same time as the conversation and hence they don't get to partake. Do the forum a favor and bring the conversation to the forum. Use skype for personal conversations and emergency conversations. Remember that skype is a supplemental tool, NOT a replacement for the forum. Some people have stopped posting on the forum or significantly reduced the amount of posting they do because of skype... myself included. Let's be fair to the rest of the forum and bring the conversations here.

The cartographers are about to be back in business and for those who haven't heard, I will be one of them. (NOTE: This information is not meant for the general public yet so do not share this with anyone outside of this forum.) We need to start kicking things in gear and getting this forum running more active than it ever has and prepare for 343's control of Halo. Let's group together, grow together, and move forward together. No more HUGE skype chat conversations. Same goes for me.

I hope you guys understand my reasoning for bringing this up and I hope you will agree and support this. If someone brings up a topic for conversation that could be shared in the forum for other RP members then kindly ask them to bring the topic here. Thanks for your cooperation.

- Ray, GP

3 Comments

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
FeanorOnForge FeanorOnForge
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  

Re: More Forum; Less Chat

This is simply to say big congrats as this is the first I heard of your soon-to-be status. and that in general I agree with your post
"Not all who wander are Lost"

GT: FEAN0RPHOENIX
Nikatorus Nikatorus
Reply | Threaded
|  

In reply to this post by GodlyPerfection
"I shall try to limit my Skype usage."

I would be saying that if I had Skype, but I don't. I do feel like I haven't been posting as much though, so I shall make amends as soon as possible.

Anyway, congrats on your promotion. I agree that we need to get the forums more active. And all the custom lobbies.

Also need to get our content together for our new overlords.
Currently: Temporarily Active
EagleOnFire EagleOnFire
Reply | Threaded
|  

I totally agree. The thing is, I have not even been on Halo much because of School Prep and work, but I feel the need to stay connected.I am getting geared up for the fall (being more active on Xbox Live as a destressor from school) and I firmly believe the forums are a great way to make our progress and information easily accessible, even by phone. Listen guys we all need to do things everyday to bring about a better community. Just think about the idea of brushing your teeth. You want to do it everyday right? For the sake of your oral health? Same thing with everything else, for example being eco-friendly. Are you going to just recycle once? Or are you going to recycle every time. We have to have consistency guys! Especially with an 'awesome-wicked' community like RP. So bring your thoughts here and share them because we care. Its all about doing things everyday...so take that for not only what you you do here on the RP forums, but in your own lives--everyday. Believe me, you will find the world easier to understand when you become apart of it.
Cheers guys

-Eagle