classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
44 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

My Real Life

MythicFritz
This post was updated on .
A few of you after asking what I do for a living have asked for more details so I thought I'd post some info here. I work in theatre as an artist, craftsman, and technician. Meaning I design, build, and paint sets and props for theatre. I've worked for many different companies in many different capacities over the past few years so here are some pictures of things I've done to try and show what I do.

As carpenter for this show I built a lot of the walls of the house and the railing of the patio.

Jesus Christ Superstar
I was primary welder for this show and made about half of the bridgework, the scaffolding on the facade, and six rolling stair units.

I was a carpenter for this show, The Comedy of Errors

For this show I was the paint charge, or head painter for the season.

These are a pair of vanity tables I built for a show called I Do I Do.

This is a backdrop I painted with my crew. It measures about 20' by 40'.

I built these neon signs while another paint charge painted them.

Reply | Threaded
|

Current Work

MythicFritz
Now for an update of what I've been working on this past week.

This is the upper half of a set for a show called Twelfth Night that my company built a few months ago and then saved in storage after we were done with it. The past two weeks we pulled it out of storage and have been modifying it to fit in another theatre space for a different company. When we're done with it we will pack it back into a truck and ship it across the country to Nevada.

Here is a shot of some of the bracing I've been welding for the modifications
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Current Work

BadCompany Brik
That sounds like an awesome job, better than working in an office for sure.
-BCB-
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: My Real Job

richi
In reply to this post by MythicFritz
glad you have a job you enjoy brother :)

a lot of opportunities for creativity there.

I like the Jesus One :D
Reply | Threaded
|

Current Work 2/21

MythicFritz
So this week involved more modifications to Twelfth Night.

And I built an all terrain cart. The theatre we're shipping this set to in Lake Tahoe is located in a park so there are no good large paved paths to the space. The cart will transport the heavy scenery pieces across the grounds easier than carrying them.

Then we started building the next show for the spring.
Believe it or not, these structures I built will become trees

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Current Work 2/21

richi
looking good man, glad to see you enjoy this creative outlet :)
Reply | Threaded
|

Current Work 3/15

MythicFritz
Last week involved loading in a set for The Complete Works of William Shakespeare, Abridged. Meaning we took the previously built set out of storage and erected it in the theatre downtown. So that took away from build time last week hence no update.

This is this week:

Remember the giant rectangles from earlier that I told you would somehow become trees? Well this is one of them after I spent the better part of an entire day bending steel.

I hope to speed up the process now that I have the technique down and get two a day from now on. To keep on schedule I almost have to.

I also built these two rolling bases. One will become a lamp post and the other will become a giant metal tree.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Current Work 3/15

WolfpackDragon
Administrator
Dude, I'm loving your job. You make things from raw material that end up being used for something other than personal amusement. I'm jellious (I'm aware of the misspelling, it's how I like to spell it)
 I don't know what to put on here so I will just say Hi. HI! Also, I'm Maximo Vara and I'm 90%ish certain that I approve of this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

Nikatorus
Administrator
Lol u jelly bro?
Trololololol

Anyway, I do think its awesome, and I hope you enjoy what you do Mythic. That's what matters. [/cheezy but true]
Currently: Temporarily Active
Reply | Threaded
|

MythicFritz
I really do love it!
Reply | Threaded
|

Work 3/23

MythicFritz
I don't even have the energy to write about what's going on but just wanted to share a picture

Reply | Threaded
|

Work 3/27

MythicFritz
So this week has been really crazy in the shop. 7-5 all week. We need to have the set completed asap and we've still got a ways to go. It hasn't helped that the director keeps changing his mind about a few things.
Then yesterday the director decided he wanted a fake dog to replace the real one they hired for the show. So having experience with carving foam they asked me to stop building the set and make a dog. Here he is completed after only 2hrs

The props master will paint him for me.
Reply | Threaded
|

Work 4/3

MythicFritz

Most of the finished set. The rest is flown out of sight and only plays in certain scenes.

The circular bases that I posted about earlier were cut before I could finish them. One base would support a giant floor lamp that remotely lit up, while the other was supposed to become a rolling tree. Here's a shot of the designers drawings I was working from:

Reply | Threaded
|

AgentPaperCraft
Im jelly as hell, I work at a boring space station, doing boring ass space museum stuff.
Reply | Threaded
|

III Tribal
Wow Mythic. Some really interesting insights into the processes involved in theatre here. Coincidentally, my sister does very similar work over here in the UK (mostly in London). Though her job is slightly less manual than yours, she still gets to 'build' stuff.

Here's a wedding cake she built for a show she was working on last month. It was apparently not edible.

Reply | Threaded
|

UnexpectedBang
I must say, that is quite the cool story, bro.
/notsarcasm (just in case)
GT: "Altblox" (0nemonth) or "UnexpectedBang"
Reply | Threaded
|

MythicFritz
Thanks for the comments guys! I'm glad I have to opportunity to share.

And awesome cake tribal! Those tiers look tough to make. I've made a fake cake before as well. For my own wedding actually. To save a few big bucks I made a fake cake, which my wife and I pretended to cut, then served sheet cake to the guests.

I have a new found respect for professional cake makers because fondant is a horrible horrible medium.
Reply | Threaded
|

MythicFritz
Here is another picture of the last set before we took it apart. From the theatre we will pack it into a semi trailer and ship it across the country to our sister theatre out west. There they will use it for a production this summer.

And this week is a new build. Here are two signs that I've made.

This Connie's Inn sign will light up from inside.

Reply | Threaded
|

noklu
Administrator
This is awesome broski. Just my input.
The otters are coming with whiskers honed to razor blades.
Know this and fear.

Email me at xnoklu[at]gmail.com should you need to contact me.
Reply | Threaded
|

My Real Job 5/16

MythicFritz
So the past few weeks have been insane. Here's a quick run down of what I've been doing

Demolishing half-finished basement and stripping to cinder blocks because of mold/meldew
Loading out last show of the spring
Building first show of the summer
Designing and building decorations for a high school's prom
Prepping attic for building a dormer so I can finish the attic into a master bed and bath

^5 of 10 reasons I haven't been on xbl lately.

Now for pictures

My basements current state

Two more signs I've built for our current build

A wall for our current build

My garage while building prom scenery. This is my candelabra assembly line

And because my wife had to supervise, I had to go. And because the theme was masquerade I made a mask to wear.