New Forum Feature; Quick Reply

Posted by GodlyPerfection GodlyPerfection  
Report Content as Inappropriate
      Options
So not many of you were aware of this, but within the past week we gained the ability to modify nabble's NAML code which allows us to make modifications to the forum code and make changes that are appropriate for our forum. We have setup a special area of RP at http://testing.reachingperfection.com as a test bed for new changes. Today we wanted to push over the first of many upcoming features. All of these features have been added by our Tech Admin DavidJCobb... what an awesome guy indeed. ;)

Quick Reply

This first feature we are pushing to the RP forum is essential for streamlined forum activity. In the past every time you wanted to reply to a post you had to load a whole new page in order to reply to stuff. This can take a bit of time and it breaks your immersion with the thread. And when you go to that page you only saw the reply that you pressed reply on. Well now Cobb has added a Quick Reply box that appears on the thread. It starts out on the very bottom of the thread page and you can type there and post without ever having to leave the page. There's more though... when you press reply on any post the quick reply box will move directly below the post and keep anything that you have already typed into it. If you ever need the advanced buttons from the reply page like adding an image you just have to click "Go Advanced" underneath the text box. This will bring you to the reply page that you are used to.

So what are the benefits for this exactly. Well you don't have to load another page just to reply which saves time. You can also continue viewing the thread and scroll between posts without losing your reply. This makes your life much easier. In the future you will be able to quote the post that the box is attached to. With these two features you can reply and quote one post then move to another post (keeping what you've typed), then quote that post... and thus a multi-quote feature is born. Another modification we are looking into is editing through the quick reply box. We are doing our best to improve your forum experience here at RP.

Other changes

Other minor changes were also implemented. Including changing "Topics View" to "Latest Topics" so you can see all the threads ever posted on the forum in order of newest to oldest. It did this before but wasn't very self explanatory. Also the views column in the sub forums were moved to be before the last post. Because the last post column is dynamically sized based on the usernames it is much cleaner to have it as the last column. Also locked icons show up on Locked threads now... and reply is removed as an option in locked threads. Thread view count is moved to the tops of threads now. We've removed admin status and post count from userbars. Post count was moved to user profile pages. And the link "My Posts" that shows up when you click your name in the top right was changed to "My Profile". In the future we will be changing your profile page and making it a bit more like a profile page.

For a FULL technical list of details you can go to the NAML Changes thread on the testing forum here:
http://testing.reachingperfection.com/List-of-NAML-changes-td3924753.html#a3949594

If you would like to suggest more features that you have seen in other forums then head to the Forum Modifications Suggestions thread

Have a great day RP! ;) Remember to thank Cobb for all his hard work.

5 Comments

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
noklu noklu
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  

Re: New Forum Feature; Quick Reply

Thanks Cobb!
The otters are coming with whiskers honed to razor blades.
Know this and fear.

Email me at xnoklu[at]gmail.com should you need to contact me.
GodlyPerfection GodlyPerfection
Reply | Threaded
|  

In reply to this post by GodlyPerfection
Btw Noklu I think you sig is pushing the limits on too tall... lol. That quote is pushing it bro. :P Wait so is mine... time to remove it.

URL: http://i55.tinypic.com/13yi6va.png

Wanna help spread the word about ReachingPerfection.com at other sites? Use the image above and link back to us.
Homer Homer
Reply | Threaded
|  

I see you removed the "insert quote" option from announcement QRs. I found it didnt work on the test site.
XBL Gamertag - Mad Mufffin (Make sure to put 3 (f)'s)

Oooh! Shiney!

GodlyPerfection GodlyPerfection
Reply | Threaded
|  

Homer wrote
I see you removed the "insert quote" option from announcement QRs. I found it didnt work on the test site.
Well it is working now on the test site. :P lol

EDIT: But now there are other problems with the announcements on test... lol. damn it.

URL: http://i55.tinypic.com/13yi6va.png

Wanna help spread the word about ReachingPerfection.com at other sites? Use the image above and link back to us.
DavidJCobb DavidJCobb
Reply | Threaded
|  

GodlyPerfection wrote
EDIT: But now there are other problems with the announcements on test... lol. damn it.
Not anymore. :3