classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

PeaceCore (work in progress)

[yournamehere]
This post was updated on .
Ugh, this map will either be the best map Ive made or the end of it all. Now for some story time, tonight's tale is all about a map, its origins, and a man named rick.

Around the middle of July I came up with the idea of a map. It'd feature two large bases with two hallways connecting them. To tell the truth its an idea I've always had but never put any work into it. Now I figured that since with just this the map might possibly totally suck I added a few ideas here and there. It'd have circular paths connecting the bases that would allow players to sneak around the middle. It also had a small arena like box that sat on top the hallways that would allow players to duke it out. I made a quick version of this in Reach via forge but it felt almost too raw, if you catch my drift. It was way too large, the arena box felt awkward and the hallways just didn't feel like hallways at all. It was at this time I went on Halo wiki and began looking at maps from other Halo games. I took inspiration from Derelict, from CE, and The Pit, from 3, and made a quick blue print on MS paint of what I wanted for my design. This is that blueprint:

Beautiful isn't it? Although it may look messy you can still sort of make out the original design. Two hallways, two sides for the teams, the pathway around and the "arena" on top. Along with this blueprint I made a few decisions on the design. It'd have to feel open most importantly. I hate cluttered maps, where I feel claustrophobic just entering a room. Sure it can look awesome but the same can be said with the less is more approach. Also, I didn't want there to be one main area where all the fighting goes down. I mean like around the red spawn in Sword Base, where everyone heads there because there's almost all ways action going down there. I wanted each area to be fit for combat. Also since I wanted an open design I wanted the map to look as good from the top as it did the bottom. As in, when you fall off the map, which is a total possibility, I didn't want the player to look up and see a mess of protruding forge blocks. Everything needed to look clean no matter where you look at it from.

After what seemed like an eternity of designing and revising, and checking I got this (Now I want to note that because of problems I'll mention later the pictures of this map will be empty, no spawns or weapons. Nada):.

Now take a second to do some comparisons of the blueprint and the end result. Lets take a closer look shall we?

Here we see what used to be the "base" in the original build. This mainly acts as just the red or blue spawn as both sides are identical. As you can also see the "hallways" are now bridges that run along a small dip that we see much better here:

Although I didn't expect much this small dip did actually prove fun in play testing, or at least this is my opinion. Currently I plan to place a rocket launcher or some type of power weapon leaning against the large pillar in the center. Fun fact about that pillar is originally it only existed to block the players line of sight but now aesthetically its what holds up the arena at the top which we can see here:

Although sadly it is no longer a box the arena is actually not as dominating as I originally expected. I thought players would just get on top and rain hell on everyone but this hasn't really happened yet. I plan to put neutral objectives on the large middle pyramid, either this or a power weapon. Originally a focus riffle sat here but I digress. As I mentioned earlier The map features paths on each side of the bases that allow players to sneak around. I decided to make it more hexagon like so I can include what I like to call "docks" which allow players to get up to the arena via a small gravity lift to bridges. Here we see the pathway:

Followed by the docks:

Each side has a sort of upper platform. The platform simply allows players to engage those in the arena from the side. These lifts also are where I plan to put most of the team based objectives like such as flags in ctf or the goals in assault games:

Now as some of you may have noticed by now a main problem with this map is its openness. It lacks cover which means there's no real evading enemies. This is the main and major problem with this map. It was designed for an open feeling but now it needs to have certain areas closed off or bordered up properly. This is where the forger's block set in. It felt impossible to find proper cover that didn't interfere with the original feel of the map. Also I have trouble with spawn, not just in this map but all my maps. Its my weakest point, I can't seem to get the hang of what is actually a safe and good spawn as opposed to what I think is a safe and good spawn. As I return now I hope to finally finish this map up and get it out there into the community properly. oh and by the way rick got sick and couldn't be here.

Here's a link to the latest version

=Update 1/13/12=

Thanks to a suggestion by Ramen 6378 I changed a few things in Peacecore. These are very very simple changes, nothing major, but I feel I should document it non the less.. All I did was raise a few platforms and border up an area so to speak. Now around the red/blue spawns there are three raised platforms that actually help break up the player sight lines. Its not so much as cover as it is meant for the above purpose. I added some cover to it, but its mostly just for aesthetic purposes. I highly doubt this will give an advantage to the player, but I have been wrong before. Here's an example of the new platform:

I did the same in the dip in the middle. At first I don't know why I did this, it was sort of a hunch. And at first I thought it was stupid, but then I noticed something about this platform. This platfrom actually gave an impressive optical illusion. Similar to the above platform it helps break up the sight line when viewed horizontally but when looked at from above it actually looks like there is nothing behind it, that it connects directly to the ramp. Its hard to explain but whateves. We can see the new platform here:

These next two are very minor changes but again, I feel the need to mention them. On the bridges I added some cover as well. I tried doing something like this previously but due to their set up they were really just annoyances than aids. I tried to make a more streamlined approach, allowing for more flow around it:

Lastly around the arena and the upper platforms I've raised the border around them to form semi cover. It used to be like this in the first place but I removed it so players can simply walk off. Now, since I've already included two platforms in which the player will jump anyway, I say screw it. Not sure how this will help as the borders are small and even when crouched there is still a good part of you exposed. Still something is better than nothing, You can sort of make it out here:

Before I leave you all with an updated link to the map I need to mention one thing that has eluded me for some time now. I continuously forget to mention a potential problem in my map. During split-screen there is some framerate issues. Not a lot, but enough to be of a slight annoyance. In fact I'm still in some debate about this, it usually happens around the center of the map, but I'm not sure if my eyes deceive me or if it is some slight framerate issues. I really hope to address this, and have already taken a few steps to help this. Mainly by removing items in favor for ones that take up more space or are more efficient. It would be an honor for this map to make matchmaking but if I neglect such issues I can never hope to see such a thing. And I also want to thank everyone who took the time to read this or even look at my map.
GT: Steph7297

"The only difference between me and a madman is that i'm not mad" -Salvador Dali
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: PeaceCore (work in progress)

Kaine
Banned User
Look's great
Reply | Threaded
|

[yournamehere]
KaineFreitas117 wrote
Look's great
Thank you very much, it took a ton of hard work and dedication so complements do mean alot.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that i'm not mad" -Salvador Dali
Reply | Threaded
|

Kaine
Banned User
[yournamehere] wrote
KaineFreitas117 wrote
Look's great
Thank you very much, it took a ton of hard work and dedication so complements do mean alot.
I love the area under the map
Reply | Threaded
|

CrazedMeatball
In reply to this post by [yournamehere]
 This map is looking very good, it's obviously very well thought out. I'll download it :)
Check out my music :D

https://soundcloud.com/alfie-prior
Reply | Threaded
|

[yournamehere]
I've updated the original post to include a link to the latest version of the map, which essentially just includes spawns for the red and blue teams. Also it includes some weapon place holders. What I plan to do is if I get the chance to play test this map again I will set the weapon spawns to random that way I know which weapons work well and which don't. The way I have it set it up now is plasma pistols are where basic weapons will be placed, and plasma repeaters are where I hope to be able to place power weapons, but again it will all depend on how well this works out.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ramen 6378
[yournamehere] wrote
Now as some of you may have noticed by now a main problem with this map is its openness. It lacks cover which means there's no real evading enemies. This is the main and major problem with this map.
Agreed. I remember playing this a few months ago, and the main problem I recall is the openness of it. It got to the point where a DMR could really guarantee you at least 3 kills if you were decent. Needler was also a really good weapon on this map, primarily because of the openness, I think.

Breaking up the sightlines would definitely be a good place to start. Have you tried incorporating some inclines in the flattest areas of the map? I noticed that Hemorrhage partially solves its sightline problems by having the hills and dips in the canyon area so that two people on the same elevation can't see each other at range. Perhaps you could try the same thing?
Reply | Threaded
|

[yournamehere]
Ramen 6378 wrote
Breaking up the sightlines would definitely be a good place to start. Have you tried incorporating some inclines in the flattest areas of the map? I noticed that Hemorrhage partially solves its sightline problems by having the hills and dips in the canyon area so that two people on the same elevation can't see each other at range. Perhaps you could try the same thing?
First of all I want to say thanks. Just this sparked some inspiration for small changes that I've made since then. Just things like elevating platforms up to help break up the sight lines. I was actually impressed how well something that small worked.

Also since then I've changed a few pieces here and there to save on the forge budget, add more pieces to use later and most importantly fix a problem I continually forget to mention. The map does suffer from a frame rate issue (minute but its still a problem either way) on splitscreen. Its not tremendously bad but I'd rather the problem not exist at all in the first place.

I want to add a few more things to thebmap before I update the original post, and I also want to say thank you to anyone who's taken the time to look and read over my progress throughout the map.

Reply | Threaded
|

[yournamehere]
alright I've updated the post to include pictures of  my updates and updated the link to the newest version of the map.

Reply | Threaded
|

noklu
Administrator
[yournamehere] wrote
I was actually impressed how well something that small worked.
In any system, small changes work large differences.

I haven't played this, but I feel that it lacks a certain flair and character. There are parts -- good parts -- where I can see the map sculpted into shape, but in others I see blocks and pieces. I think that this is an area that you could focus on improving. You know that you have succeeded when, on first glance, you see a place, not a selection of blocks. Remember to get a peer review to confirm --or deny -- your opinion.

Specifically, the bottom mid and a couple of the immediately adjoining areas appear to me to possess this character I speak of. I think that you are mildly hampered, in this regard, by building in open air: perhaps you could rebuild your map by a cliff. I think that this would add immediacy to the map, and you could work some of your more...random, for want of a better word, pieces into this new framework. (To name a few of these pieces: the 1x4's on the top and the grav lift bounce-wall). How you do so -- or even if you accept these suggestions at all -- is, of course, up to you. It may well be that my ideas lack any quality or bring nothing to your map.
The otters are coming with whiskers honed to razor blades.
Know this and fear.

Email me at xnoklu[at]gmail.com should you need to contact me.
Reply | Threaded
|

[yournamehere]
noklu wrote
[yournamehere] wrote
I was actually impressed how well something that small worked.
In any system, small changes work large differences.

I haven't played this, but I feel that it lacks a certain flair and character. There are parts -- good parts -- where I can see the map sculpted into shape, but in others I see blocks and pieces. I think that this is an area that you could focus on improving. You know that you have succeeded when, on first glance, you see a place, not a selection of blocks. Remember to get a peer review to confirm --or deny -- your opinion.

Specifically, the bottom mid and a couple of the immediately adjoining areas appear to me to possess this character I speak of. I think that you are mildly hampered, in this regard, by building in open air: perhaps you could rebuild your map by a cliff. I think that this would add immediacy to the map, and you could work some of your more...random, for want of a better word, pieces into this new framework. (To name a few of these pieces: the 1x4's on the top and the grav lift bounce-wall). How you do so -- or even if you accept these suggestions at all -- is, of course, up to you. It may well be that my ideas lack any quality or bring nothing to your map.
first I'd like to thank you for your suggestions, I appreciate all criticism as its the only way to improve myself and my work. As for now I am mainly trying to make sure everything functions better so to speak. I'd like to make sure the layout and basic design works well before I begin enhancing the aesthetics of it. The way I see it, it's sort of like a body so to speak. I have the skeleton which in this case would be the concept and blueprint. Now I'm working on the muscle, which is things like cover, platforms, anything on top of the basic design that effects game play. The aesthetics are like the skin, it goes on top of everything and is what your looking at the entire time. This doesn't mean I'm disregarding your comment as it is something I will have to get to sooner or later, Hopefully when I get thereI will have someone who knows a thing or two about that to help guide me along the right path.

Reply | Threaded
|

[yournamehere]
This post was updated on .
Woo Hoo v2.3 is finally here!!!

you guys cannot understand how happy it makes me to be able to make that announcement. shortly after I made my last update I got completely lost. I had no idea what I could possibly add to my map. It really hit hard to realize how empty and lifeless my map was. There was not a whole lot there, nice foundation but no decoration. Suddenly Inspiration hit! I was thinking of starting a new map when I just decided to merge some of those ideas with Peacecore. Suddenly I found myself back in Peacecore adding small features here and there. By the time I was totally done adding all my little ideas here and there I realized Peacecore really started to change. It went from this:

To something like this:

you can actually identify all the changes in this picture. In any case lets take a closer look shall we? First up to view is the main platforms, area around red or blue spawns. Originally these where very VERY barren. There was little to absolutely no cover here, and to be honest it looked rather boring. Here you can see the main platform now features two large struts erupting from the floor. I intended them to provide cover and break up sight lines from across the map, which imo they do very well. Also there you can see a curved wall connecting to the arena. This was mainly for aesthetics at first but it allowed for some good spawn placements. you can see these here:

Now my favorite change, the bridges. The bridges, similar to the main platform, was empty. In a random fit of inspiration I have transformed the bridges and turned them into what I now call the shrines. The shrines now have a small pyramid in the center similar to the kinds found on the arena. Also surrounding that pyramid are for pillars. In front of the pillars are two sets of covenant barriers. I say this is my favorite change because it really felt like it made itself. These can be seen here:

Next onto the dip which I renamed the pillar, since it sounds better in conversation and its easier to identify. Not much happened here except a few braces that now form support beams holding up the arena and holding onto floor. This really helps break up sight lines across the map in the best way. Its small enough that if you move you can get a better shot while still being annoying enough to get in the way of those at a bad angle, or at least to me it is. Pics for you:

A small change but never the less should be mentioned. The man cannons have been removed and replaced with teleporters. This was because the man cannons weren't as consistent as they should be, and the teleporters help speed up gameplay. they now teleport you directly behind red or blue spawns. for your viewing pleasure:

The second to last big change to happen in v2.3 is the removal of the docks. Now instead the bridges that connected the main platform to the dock connect directly to the platform above the dock. This was for 2 main reasons. 1, it helps speed up map movement, and helps you get to the higher ground fast; and 2, the dock had some problems where the bridge and the dock would render on top of another (I don't know the professional term would be). It was horribly horribly ugly and it was a pain to work around. looky here:

the last change here is the addition of weapons and spawns. I wanted to wait till the layout was completely finished before adding these in but I figured if all I do is sit around and wait for that it'll never happen. With this said these are mainly experimental and I'm still investigating spawns. I added some rez zones for each team only to help test out the respawns.

As far as weapons go you'll find your standard DMR's, NR's, PP's, Magnums, and a concussion rifle. As far as power weapons go, I'm really interested in how these will play out, and whether they are overpower or not. We have 2 snipers and a neutral rocket launcher. Snipers are located on red/blue platforms, the platforms directly above the red or blue spawns. I always wanted snipers in this map but since it was so open before it was WAY to overpowered. Now with the blocked sight lines and new cover I'm more confident that these can work well.

Rockets are located on the center pillar on top the arena. Rockets may be a little overpowered but there's no other way to find out than give it a try. Both have a 118 respawn timer and have 1 extra clip.

You can download the latest version here or on the link above

My next steps are to add a bit more to the arena and red/blue platforms. also I need to start running small play tests to see how these updates actually play out.

Reply | Threaded
|

[yournamehere]
updated the links to the new Halo waypoint fileshare. Small updates include new weapons to try to add more incentive towards bottom movement. Rockets have been dropped to bottom middle, and new plasma launcher replaces rocket's old spawn. Top arena has alot more cover added. Also frame rate issues have been worked on, the map runs a lot smother now.

Recently it has come to my attention that I may be done with this map. Now this isn't the same as saying the map is complete. The map still needs work such as better respawns, a few more nuetral spawns and cover for bottom middle; not to mention the issue of some frame rate while looking middle while on split screen.. What I mean is that I believe I am quickly approaching my limit on this map. I did some testing on said map with mix responses. The responses varied but there were two main themes: 1 the map was unique (whether this was good or bad depended on the person), and 2 bottom middle needed cover and some incentive. I've racked my brain trying to add things to the map that would give sufficient cover but it either felt awkward or caused a lot of frame rate issues. Quite frankly its gone to the point that I question whether it is worth it to push forward with this map. I begin college in September and doubt very highly with that I'd have much time to work on a map. This combined with the fact that Halo 4 will be coming out in November makes me wonder what the possibility this map will ever have. I seriously have my doubts it will make matchmaking, or even for that matter I can tackle the current issues with this map in the time I have. Mind you, this is also without testing for objective games which will take even more time to polish up. Forge has a limit and I feel I may be approaching that already. I doubt very highly Halo 4 will have the necessary components to fix this map, that coupled with the fact that I have no idea whether this map will even work on Halo 4 with the new sandbox and movement speed and jump height. I do really want to fix this map up and polish it properly but I have to question is it possible and more importantly is it worth it?