classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Powerups

noklu
Administrator
A powerup is an object or ability that alters the properties of the subject. In Halo, these powerups traditionally altered shield strength or visibility, and later, custom-selected attributes. In Halo: Reach, armour abilities have altered functions that have not been touched before, like jetpack-assisted flight. These powerups can be clearly divided into two distinct categories. The first are inherent powerups while the second is on-map powerups. Inherent powerups are akin to CoD perks while on-map powerups include health packs and overshields. There are also some hybrid powerups like armor abilities which are inherent but can be altered mid battle.

What do you think about when designing maps with powerups and what is the best manner to place/use them? Why do few Halo maps have them? Do other games have them?

The otters are coming with whiskers honed to razor blades.
Know this and fear.

Email me at xnoklu[at]gmail.com should you need to contact me.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Powerups

Zombified Panda
What a most excellent question, lol!

When placing power ups on a map (especially overshield) i only have one rule, treat it as a power weapon. So this means a few thing's, it should be neutral between red and blue teams initial spawns, don't do what "narrows" did in the beginning of halo 3. Another thing would be to keep it away from any power weapon, if overshield spawns right next to rockets, it might be a little OP (might be silly to say, but i'v seen this done a million times). Last i would place it in an exposed area of combat, maybe a long hallway where there's going to be an intense dmr battle to obtain it, or in the middle of the map where you're open to many angles.

I really don't know why power ups aren't used that often anymore. My question was why are they not used in MM; the only thing i can think of is that maybe they're confusing to new halo players? I think they should be in MM, they make any map much more dynamic, its a huge incentive for the player and it could give the losing team that little push to get the ball rolling their way. We should start a petition to get 343i to put powerups back into MM.

The only game i can think of right now that has powerups is Mario Kart, which is probably the only reason to buy a wii.
Reply | Threaded
|

mrgreenwithagun
I suspect powerups are not used much on maps because forgers probably figure that they are to an extent provided in game type loadouts. But that is exactly why you should place them on maps if you want them - to make them available even if they are not available in the game type.

For example, jet packs can alter the playability of a map by making inaccessible areas accessible. To make those areas accessible to everyone, you should place jet packs on the map so that they are part of the map itself and not dependent upon the game type. If it were dependent upon the game type, then the map could be broken by an incorrectly configured game type.
Reply | Threaded
|

C0deReader
Speaking of Power-ups, I liked the creative use of one earlier when my clan and I were having practice.

There was a gametype put up that functioned in a manner similar to Vanilla Grifball - Armor Abilities.

A person would randomly spawn inside of a box containing a power-up that would make that player immune to everything, and give them sprint.

This person would become our VIP and the objective was to protect him from the bomb carrier, while trying to 'plant' the bomb on the opposing teams VIP.

I love the unique ways that Power Ups are used throughout Halo.
David J. Cobb wrote
Also, fuck you.
Photobucket