classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Profile Pages

Der Flatulator
I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread for discussion the possible feature integrations to the member profile pages.

Suggestion from me:
  • Gamertag (Xbox LIVE) link
  • Links to other message board profiles (Halo Waypoint, Bungie.net, etc)
  • Twitter feed?
  • Link to Portfolio (If applicable)
  • Bio?

Just a few ideas, but I'm sure everybody has more...
derflatulator@reachingperfection ~ $ $do || !$do ; try
try: command not found
derflatulator@reachingperfection ~ $ sudo rm -rf /
Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: Profile Pages

DavidJCobb
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Very good chance that the simpler ones (URLs and a gamertag) can be implemented without a problem.

I have a working bio implementation on Testing Perfection and can clone it to create other customizations. Editing the bio is disabled for the time being, as I can't figure out how to fully secure it yet, but I expect that to be only a temporary problem. (Stuff like gamertags and URLs would also be much easier to make safe, so I could implement that very quickly.)

In other words, stuff like this is totally possible and I encourage everyone to post any ideas they may have. :)
Reply | Threaded
|  

DavidJCobb
Administrator
In reply to this post by Der Flatulator
Editable "About Me" and "Gamertag" fields now exist for users on Testing Perfection. A new tab has been added to Testing Perfection profiles that allows these customizations to be viewed. These changes should eventually be propagated to Reaching Perfection, though I can't guarantee it'll be quick.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Der Flatulator
DavidJCobb wrote
Editable "About Me" and "Gamertag" fields now exist for users on Testing Perfection. A new tab has been added to Testing Perfection profiles that allows these customizations to be viewed. These changes should eventually be propagated to Reaching Perfection, though I can't guarantee it'll be quick.
Nice work on that, well done.
I do have a few recommendations though:
  • Make About page default on page load.
  • Replace Groups with something more user friendly, for example remove the string "Groups: Anyone, Registered", and if a user has a portfolio, then give them a medal or something. Groups seems a little UI unfriendly.
  • Remove the "My Nabble Applications" link. No-one will ever use it. I think...
  • Anything you can do about this?
  • Add signature to the bottom of the About page.
Also, how do we link our waypoint profile? manually, or is there a way to automatically acquire a link? Like you did for the file share... If you had google API access, you could simply search the for "halo.xbox.com" [gamertag], and the first link should be correct... Anyway, awesome work on that!
Reply | Threaded
|  

DavidJCobb
Administrator
Der Flatulator wrote
Make About page default on page load.
I'll have to change every single macro that generates a link to a user's page. Depending on whether or not Nabble made a sub-macro for the link itself, that could be quick or it could take a while, but I will look into it.

Der Flatulator wrote
Replace Groups with something more user friendly, for example remove the string "Groups: Anyone, Registered", and if a user has a portfolio, then give them a medal or something. Groups seems a little UI unfriendly.
I'll look into this.

Der Flatulator wrote
Remove the "My Nabble Applications" link. No-one will ever use it. I think...
It's only visible on your own profile, and I'm not sure I should remove it since I don't know specifically what it does. I'll look into it.

Der Flatulator wrote
Anything you can do about this?
On it.

Der Flatulator wrote
Add signature to the bottom of the About page.
I'll slap that onto my to-do list.

Der Flatulator wrote
Also, how do we link our waypoint profile? manually, or is there a way to automatically acquire a link? Like you did for the file share... If you had google API access, you could simply search the for <code>"halo.xbox.com" [gamertag]</code>, and the first link should be correct...
This feature is not implemented yet. I'll set it up so that you can input the URL to your profile page, and the NAML will manually extract your user ID in Waypoint. The URL will be rebuilt when a userpage is visited. (It'll do this instead of just using the URL a user enters verbatim, so that people can't put naughty things in and have it pass.) Basically, it'll be a simple copy-and-paste job to get your Waypoint and Bungie profile links once I have the functionality completed.

Der Flatulator wrote
Anyway, awesome work on that!
Thank ya kindly. I'm a little sad I couldn't get HTML to work safely in the "About Me" section, but I asked about it in Nabble Support and they said they're looking into it. (Very helpful staff there.) No guarantees, but a solution might be found and I may be able to enable some basic tags for the bio field.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Der Flatulator
It seems you have everything under control.

What did you do to the about me box? It appears it now trims anything after a certain amount of characters. Was that intentional?

With the profile links, would it be easier to simply ask the user for their ID for Waypoint and Bungie.net? For example if a user inputs "13414", the link becomes https://halo.xbox.com/Forums/yaf_profile13414.aspx, and for Bungie.net, inputting member ID "7624594" would return http://www.bungie.net/Account/Profile.aspx?memberID=7624594.

I'm not sure which is easier on your end, but both would work fine, I think.

As for the HTML in the about box, not a huge deal, but it would be nice... But then people can misuse it like I did for my signature :P

Oh, and how do you plan on working Portfolios into it? Is it possible to let Godly/Wolfpack/whoever manages the portfolios to add the links themselves, as part of the Portfolio creation process, and go through those who already have one and make it a static link?
Reply | Threaded
|  

DavidJCobb
Administrator
Der Flatulator wrote
What did you do to the about me box? It appears it now trims anything after a certain amount of characters. Was that intentional?
Yes. Input is capped to 1024 and as a precaution, anything longer than that is also truncated on output.

Der Flatulator wrote
With the profile links, would it be easier to simply ask the user for their ID for Waypoint and Bungie.net? For example if a user inputs "13414", the link becomes https://halo.xbox.com/Forums/yaf_profile13414.aspx, and for Bungie.net, inputting member ID "7624594" would return http://www.bungie.net/Account/Profile.aspx?memberID=7624594.
Could be, except that BNet seems to use two different kinds of user ID. I need the whole URL to know for sure which the user is providing.

Der Flatulator wrote
As for the HTML in the about box, not a huge deal, but it would be nice... But then people can misuse it like I did for my signature :P
If Nabble is able to get HTML parsing working for About Me and if they get it working the exact same way as it does for posts, I'd be able to strip out any and all HTML tags that I please.

Der Flatulator wrote
Oh, and how do you plan on working Portfolios into it? Is it possible to let Godly/Wolfpack/whoever manages the portfolios to add the links themselves, as part of the Portfolio creation process, and go through those who already have one and make it a static link?
It could be possible. I'm not too familiar with how Portfolios are set up, but it seems that we have an entirely separate usergroup for every single portfolio, containing only the folio's owner and granting permissions to them.
Reply | Threaded
|  

DavidJCobb
Administrator
Waypoint profile links are now functional on Testing Perfection. Additionally, admins are now able to completely disable all profile customizations on a per-user basis in case anyone decides to post anything that's too... disagreeable. :P
Reply | Threaded
|  

Der Flatulator
Ok, I'm getting an odd bug when I enter the Waypoint URL. It adds a "cid"  query string. and the link doesn't work. Even if I remove the secure "s" from "https://"
Bungie.net works awesome.

Also, 1024 isn't a lot if we want to write about ourselves... Up it to 4096 or something?
Reply | Threaded
|  

DavidJCobb
Administrator
Der Flatulator wrote
Ok, I'm getting an odd bug when I enter the Waypoint URL. It adds a "cid"  query string. and the link doesn't work. Even if I remove the secure "s" from "https://"
It shouldn't be adding your session/cookie/something-login-related ID (that you should not post here!) to a URL typed in a form field, especially since all I even do with it is run a regex... And I can't reproduce this behavior for my own profile -- in fact, when I view your profile, the link works perfectly.

Use "More -> Reply to author" to email me the URL you entered into the field, the URL that was stored (that listed in the field when you return to the editing form), and the URL of the link that you see on the profile page. Something is very wrong.

Der Flatulator wrote
Also, 1024 isn't a lot if we want to write about ourselves... Up it to 4096 or something?
Post in NAML changes to remind me. I'll consider upping it, primarily contingent upon whether or not the ASCII art from my Waypoint Roll Call thread would fit. :P No, but seriously, post there to remind me to raise the limit.
Reply | Threaded
|  

DavidJCobb
Administrator
The bug you found has been fixed.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Der Flatulator
DavidJCobb wrote
Awesome.

I personally think the "Permalink to this profile" is a bit redundant, as there is a permalink button in the corner that appears to have similar function.
Reply | Threaded
|  

DavidJCobb
Administrator
Der Flatulator wrote
DavidJCobb wrote
Awesome.

I personally think the "Permalink to this profile" is a bit redundant, as there is a permalink button in the corner that appears to have similar function.
It is redundant, indeed. The alternative would be running a crap-ton of checks to know when to hide that box, and somehow that just feels inelegant to me.

If I can figure out the functionality behind some email-related macros, I can replace it with an "Email this user" link.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Der Flatulator
DavidJCobb wrote
If I can figure out the functionality behind some email-related macros, I can replace it with an "Email this user" link.
What about an Xbox.com userlink, as their new site is rather awesome, for example:
http://live.xbox.com/en-US/Profile?gamertag=DavidJCobb
Reply | Threaded
|  

DavidJCobb
Administrator
Der Flatulator wrote
DavidJCobb wrote
What about an Xbox.com userlink, as their new site is rather awesome, for example:
http://live.xbox.com/en-US/Profile?gamertag=DavidJCobb
...Holy blam, they changed a lot. Never noticed.

I can add that, yes, but if the user has no gamertag and no profiles associated, then that's still a crap-ton of redundant checks. So an email link, followed by the may-or-may-not-appear FS/Xbox/profiles links. The point here is to avoid:
<n.if>
   <condition>
      <n.all_true.>
         <n.not.is_truthy.code_to_get_gamertag/>
         <n.not.is_truthy.code_to_get_bnet_fs/>
         <n.not.is_truthy.code_to_get_bnet_profile/>
         <n.not.is_truthy.code_to_get_waypoint_profile/>
      </n.all_true.>
   </condition>
   <then/>
   <else>
      <div>
         <n.code_to_get_gamertag/>
         <n.code_to_get_bnet_fs/>
         <n.code_to_get_bnet_profile/>
         <n.code_to_get_waypoint_profile/>
      </div>
   </else>
</n.if>
Because with just four links, that may look fine and manageable, but eventually, there's gonna be more and more stuff we can/should let people link to...
Reply | Threaded
|  

Der Flatulator
This post was updated on .

Ah, I get you now. That's fair enough, I honestly have no idea how NAML works, I haven't read the documentation yet.

Edit: I saw that you added Xbox.com, looks sweet :)

Also, if I interpreted you correctly, it would be impossible to have custom HTML embed fields, wouldn't it. (Like a twitter feed).

Heres the twitter code, if you want it.

<script src="http://widgets.twimg.com/j/2/widget.js"></script> <script> new TWTR.Widget({ version: 2, type: 'profile', rpp: 6, interval: 30000, width: 'auto', height: 400, theme: { shell: { background: '#0f0f0f', color: '#649632' }, tweets: { background: '#0f0f0f', color: '#999999', links: '#3c6bb2' } }, features: { scrollbar: false, loop: false, live: false, behavior: 'all' } }).render().setUser('TWITTER_NAME_[no_@]').start(); </script>

And you'd have to add a little bit of CSS, like give "box-label" traits to the "twtr-hd" class, and fonts, etc.

Really late edit:

Maybe an optional link to twitter profile, instead?
Reply | Threaded
|  

DavidJCobb
Administrator
I could embed things like Twitter, but I'd have to be careful in how it's done. For example, instead of letting the user paste in the code, I'd have to extract their ID or username and generate the Twitter code myself, to keep things secure.

Link to Twitter? Request it in Testing Perfection so that I see it when I've time. Working on college stuff right now.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Der Flatulator
Congrats man!
http://halo.xbox.com/Blogs/post/2011/11/14/Community-Member-of-the-Week-DavidJCobb.aspx
Reply | Threaded
|  

DavidJCobb
Administrator
Thanks! I seriously didn't think I'd get anything like that, either, so it's a wonderful surprise. :)
Reply | Threaded
|  

DavidJCobb
Administrator
Also, Nabble just added a "to_html_list" macro for us and other forums to use. In plain English, that means that I can make anything use HTML without creating a security risk.

Right now, "About Me" sections are always interpreted as HTML. I'll add a toggle soon, for users who don't want to bother with that. I'll also be filtering out certain elements that are safe in posts but have absolutely no place in profile page texts, like IFRAME.