Racing Towards Matchmaking - Discussion & WIP

Posted by GodlyPerfection GodlyPerfection
      Options

For full details on the design challenge, read the blog post:

http://www.reachingperfection.com/2011/12/design-challenge-racing-towards.html

Use this thread for posting questions, works in progress, and giving/getting feedback. The final submission thread will be available during Testing Week (January 1st - January 8th) and you can edit your submission at any time up to the January 8th deadline. Until the deadline I highly suggest you use this community to your advantage and constantly post updates to your map to receive as much feedback as possible.

Remember you are designing these race maps to work in a matchmaking scenario...

USE THIS COMMUNITY TO YOUR ADVANTAGE!!! I cannot stress enough how important it is to the design process to get criticism and use it to improve your map multiple times over. Anyone can build a map, but only a real designer can perfect it.

EDIT: I just started a thread on what makes a good race map in the Game Design Discussion forum. Check it out folks: http://forum.reachingperfection.com/What-makes-a-good-Race-map-td3570942.html

51 Comments

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
Sven Nietzsche Sven Nietzsche
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Racing Towards Matchmaking - Discussion & WIP

Starting on it right now.

Edit:   Can we use aniversary maps?  
GodlyPerfection GodlyPerfection
Reply | Threaded
|

Sven Nietzsche wrote
Starting on it right now.

Edit:   Can we use aniversary maps?
Sure go for it.

URL: http://i55.tinypic.com/13yi6va.png

Wanna help spread the word about ReachingPerfection.com at other sites? Use the image above and link back to us.
TheClubhouse TheClubhouse
Reply | Threaded
|

In reply to this post by GodlyPerfection
Are there any requirements?  Like a min. time required to complete a single lap, or jumps, or number of racers, ect..
KSI FRUIT LOOPS KSI FRUIT LOOPS
Reply | Threaded
|

Where do we submit the maps too? unless im blind, i cant find out how to submit the map.
Vvshadowwo1fvV Vvshadowwo1fvV
Reply | Threaded
|

where do i go to submit maps
l PVT Partz l l PVT Partz l
Reply | Threaded
|

how do i submit a map?
Reply | Threaded
|

The final submission thread will be available during Testing Week (January 1st - January 8th) and you can edit your submission at any time up to the January 8th deadline.
Basically for now you can post your maps here and request feedback on them from other members and help others perfect their maps as well.

Wanna help spread the word about ReachingPerfection.com at other sites? Use the image above and link back to us.
Reply | Threaded
|

In reply to this post by TheClubhouse
TheClubhouse wrote
Are there any requirements?  Like a min. time required to complete a single lap, or jumps, or number of racers, ect..
For the most part be reasonable. Nobody knows how many laps a standard race MM gametype would be so just make it pretty standard size... lol I don't even know what the average is. Same goes for racers. As far as jumps go and complexity of the map... again keep in mind that people in matchmaking need to be able to drive the map relatively easily. Too many hairpin turns, too many difficult jumps, and too many frustrating obstacles could result in very bad first run gameplay and result in bad first impressions. Hence keep the map relatively simple, however add simple complexity like risky shortcuts and other stuff like that. The players should not have to fight against the map, they should have to focus on fighting against each other.

KSI FRUIT LOOPS KSI FRUIT LOOPS
Reply | Threaded
|

Guys can you check out my map please, its a city map that i made and i had MLG SAVIOR, G0DSR3GR3T, Cookiemonster, ducain23, and 0bronco say it was good. here is the link
Latenight Chaos
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=23366906&player=KSI%20FRUIT%20LOOPS
also my not as good other city map.
Meteor City
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=20809956&player=KSI%20FRUIT%20LOOPS
please download and post feedback, thankyou
MythicFritz MythicFritz
Reply | Threaded
|

Fruit Loops

Both tracks were nice. Cleanly forged and easy to learn. Good job.

Some feedback:

I think some of your checkpoints could be worked on. In particular on Latenight the checkpoint just before final lap. The way it was turned I didn't know how I was supposed to hit it and the track layout didn't give me any clues. And on Meteor city the second or third checkpoint that takes you around the rocks wasn't clear enough. I thought I was going straight into the tunnel first.

I think both U-turns could be improved a little. They work ok now, but each time I felt like I wasn't using them correctly. Don't know if its me or just Reach vehicles aren't meant to do that.

Latenight Chaos was framerate drop free on single screen with just me racing, cross your fingers for split screen. But on Meteor City, I had issues at the turn with the yellow light. And if one mongoose on single screen had problems, eight more with split screen will be even worse.
MythicFritz MythicFritz
Reply | Threaded
|

Here is one of my two tracks in progress:

Tapeworm

It is almost done and very playable right now and I think meets the matchmaking criterion. Easy to learn, with room for passing and respawning, and places to improve as one learns the track. Oh and no split screen framerate issues. I know of one or two issues to clean up but I would appreciate more input. I don't build race maps often so I listen to everybody.

I'm working on coming up with a different name too. I haven't seen another track named Tapeworm yet but a friend told me one exists and that's enough reason for me to want to change it. If you know me you know I like unique map names. :)
smm2010 smm2010
Reply | Threaded
|

Damn, MythicFritz. Am I seeing correct since you said you don't build race maps often? I wish there were more screenshots, but aside from the one you posted the map looks incredible. :)
DavidJCobb DavidJCobb
Reply | Threaded
|

In reply to this post by MythicFritz
MythicFritz wrote
I'm working on coming up with a different name too. I haven't seen another track named Tapeworm yet but a friend told me one exists and that's enough reason for me to want to change it. If you know me you know I like unique map names. :)
"Wormtape". Scotch tape made from worms. Slimy, sticky stuff. Ew.
RyannWilko x RyannWilko x
Reply | Threaded
|

Hey Guys, i have made a few maps that i would like to enter, but seen as there is a 2 maps deadline, i would like everyone to help me choose and tell what to improve (that rhymes :)
Here are some of the maps...
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=25316928&player=RyannWilko%20x
A pretty old but good, quite simple map.
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=22590797&player=RyannWilko%20x
Although this one is a little harder...
Also Please send me a Friend Request so i can show everyone my new map im making, so you guys can help me on it. thanks
RyannWilko x
JuztSkillz JuztSkillz
Reply | Threaded
|

I wanna submit:
Promothia
By: Juzt Skillz
Reply | Threaded
|

KSI FRUIT LOOPS wrote
Guys can you check out my map please, its a city map that i made and i had MLG SAVIOR, G0DSR3GR3T, Cookiemonster, ducain23, and 0bronco say it was good. here is the link
Latenight Chaos
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=23366906&player=KSI%20FRUIT%20LOOPS
also my not as good other city map.
Meteor City
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=20809956&player=KSI%20FRUIT%20LOOPS
please download and post feedback, thankyou
We tested both of these last night Fruit Loops... once a piece (for now). The general consensus was on Latenight Chaos was that they didn't like the special effects when it came to driving around. Aesthetically it works very well, but it is having a negative effect on gameplay. Also there the 90 degree turns where you have the option to go left and right were confusing at first. Most people when they drive up to that they are trying to figure out which way they have to go and it is hard to tell when both checkpoints are off screen. If you could instead make it so that the path forks into paths that are 45 degrees from the center so you could see both checkpoints that would probably work best.

For meteor city the big things were the rock path shortcut wasn't really much of a shortcut. It was too bumpy and too risk to ever take. If it was flat it the risk would be missing the narrow entrance and exit so it doesn't need to be bumpy. Also the one way shield door path screwed me over once as I didn't realize right away that I had to turn left and ended up going through the shield door and was forced to drive ALL the way around just to get to my checkpoint.

For both maps the U-turns could use a little work. They are doable, but for new players they are way too difficult to execute on their first try. So I would suggest widening those and giving players the chance to do it easier. Also for the Meteor City one you need to fix the "destroyed" section of it with the broken glass window... I fell into the whole and was unable to get out of it. As a main part of the track you shouldn't worry about getting stuck ever. On a shortcut it would be fine, but not on the main course.

That's all I have for now, but I'm sure as we play it more we will find more things to improve on your map so keep checking back here and playing it with RPers.

MythicFritz wrote
Here is one of my two tracks in progress:

Tapeworm

It is almost done and very playable right now and I think meets the matchmaking criterion. Easy to learn, with room for passing and respawning, and places to improve as one learns the track. Oh and no split screen framerate issues. I know of one or two issues to clean up but I would appreciate more input. I don't build race maps often so I listen to everybody.

We ran into an issue where ChildofChrist sat at the bottom of the big jump and threw a couple of us off several times because we couldn't react to him sitting there. Someone sitting in the middle of the track is easy to work around, but at the bottom of a jump where we didn't realize he was there till we were in the air kind of ruins the experience because we have no control over the situation in the air.

RyannWilko x wrote
Hey Guys, i have made a few maps that i would like to enter, but seen as there is a 2 maps deadline, i would like everyone to help me choose and tell what to improve (that rhymes :)
Here are some of the maps...
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=25316928&player=RyannWilko%20x
A pretty old but good, quite simple map.
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=22590797&player=RyannWilko%20x
Although this one is a little harder...
Also Please send me a Friend Request so i can show everyone my new map im making, so you guys can help me on it. thanks
RyannWilko x
Next chance we get we will play these in customs Ryann. Try adding the community tag 'A 01 Perfect GT' to your friends list to find other RPers and for them to find you. This can also help you get into custom games where you can play with people and get better real time feedback.

JuztSkillz wrote
I wanna submit:
Promothia
By: Juzt Skillz
And bro you didn't submit anything... lol. Also if you read the threads the submission thread isn't even open yet.

CrazedMeatball CrazedMeatball
Reply | Threaded
|

Making some aesthetic changes for Sea Serpent Raceway, then it's testin' time!
Check out my music :D

https://soundcloud.com/alfie-prior
MythicFritz MythicFritz
Reply | Threaded
|

smm2010 wrote
the map looks incredible. :)
Thanks!
DavidJCobb wrote
Haha I'll consider it
GodlyPerfection wrote
We ran into an issue where ChildofChrist sat at the bottom of the big jump and threw a couple of us off several times because we couldn't react to him sitting there. Someone sitting in the middle of the track is easy to work around, but at the bottom of a jump where we didn't realize he was there till we were in the air kind of ruins the experience because we have no control over the situation in the air.
Thanks a lot Child...Seriously though I don't know how I could fix that without drastically changing the jump. And it's awesome. Do tracks with jumps that can't be exploited similarly exist?
Kaine Kaine
Reply | Threaded
|

MythicFritz wrote
smm2010 wrote
the map looks incredible. :)
Thanks!
DavidJCobb wrote
Haha I'll consider it
GodlyPerfection wrote
Thanks a lot Child...Seriously though I don't know how I could fix that without drastically changing the jump. And it's awesome. Do tracks with jumps that can't be exploited similarly exist?
Cant wait till you release your track it looks good.
Reply | Threaded
|

In reply to this post by MythicFritz
MythicFritz wrote
GodlyPerfection wrote
All I can possibly think of is a one way shield door or maybe a longer drop down so you can atleast try to maneuver out of the way before you are in the air.