Required Ads and HUGE forum changes incoming

Posted by GodlyPerfection GodlyPerfection
      Options
So good news and bad news:

We will start with the bad; if you haven't noticed yet there are now ads at the bottom of the forum. Being that this is a free service I don't have that big of a deal with it, basically they are using the ads to help pay for a new programmer they hired to help with new features. It is at the bottom of the forum and fairly small, so don't get worked up over it. Here is the full write up directly from them:

I know this is not great news, but we will have to start serving ads on the Nabble website. We need this money to pay another programmer that will help with support and will also work on other features. We don't have the budget of big companies like Google or Microsoft, so we will have to serve ads as a way to expand our team and move faster to new features. If you don't want ads on your app, just click on the "Remove ads" link below the banner or go to "Options > Remove ads". You can choose the best offer for your app and pay with your Amazon account.

Note: we will reward translators with 50,000 ad-free credits.

Now for the GREAT news. Over the past year or so Nabble hasn't had many features added because they have been working on a HUGE feature. Very soon they are releasing their Nabble creation language called Nabble Application Markup Language (NAML). This creation language will be fully useable in customizing our forums to however we want. Basically this forum will no longer have to look like every other forum. This customization is extremely powerful and is able to turn a forum into a website if we are so inclined. With this power means we can start creating some crazy powerful features with some ingenuity. Addition of XBL gamertags in profiles, more visible online users, more vBulletin like user pages, multi-quoting, fully customized forum look, etc

We have created a new stickied topic in Site Affairs for suggestions of features that you find at other forums or websites or other ideas you might have that you think could be useful. Keep in mind that there are limits to what we can do still, but they aren't as restrictive anymore. And PMing is still a toss up so don't re-suggest that. Make sure to read all of the other suggestions before you go suggesting more.

Forum Modification Ideas

13 Comments

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
noklu noklu
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Required Ads and HUGE forum changes incoming

But come on, I don't want this kind of advertisements...really.
The otters are coming with whiskers honed to razor blades.
Know this and fear.

Email me at xnoklu[at]gmail.com should you need to contact me.
Nikatorus Nikatorus
Reply | Threaded
|

In reply to this post by GodlyPerfection
Some ads I'm ok with. The kind Noklu just showed, I don't know about.
Currently: Temporarily Active
Dj7291993 Dj7291993
Reply | Threaded
|

These "ads" you guys speak of, must be annoying.  All I have at the bottom of my screen is a little blank spot (which, if I tried, I could probably get rid of too).  Feel kinda bad for you people who surf the web with browsers like safari, opera, chrome (yeah, I know you have add-ons, but they're nothing compared to FF), or *gasp* internet explorer.    I hear you guys have to sit through commercials on youtube, too.  Crazy stuff.  ;)

On a more serious note, I'm looking forward to seeing what we (well, you and Cobb, mainly) can do with this new found power.  Also, you may want to suggest that they add a filter to their ads, to prevent ads like the one noklu posted.

~Josh Hollinrake, Dj7291993

Email Me - Admin Message Box - My Portfolio

"Dreamers Dream, Doers Do, Achievers Achieve, But Champions Do It ALL." ~The Goads

"A man cannot directly choose his circumstances, but he can choose his thoughts, and so indirectly, yet surely, shape his circumstances." ~James Allen (As a Man Thinketh)

GodlyPerfection GodlyPerfection
Reply | Threaded
|

In reply to this post by Nikatorus
Nikatorus wrote
Some ads I'm ok with. The kind Noklu just showed, I don't know about.
If you guys get any ads like these in the future please report them to me so I can notify them and they can take care of it because this is not part of their ad deal. Apparently this situation is happening on other forums and the Nabble guys specifically asked the ad company to not have these types of ads:

http://nabble-support.1.n2.nabble.com/Advertisements-td6680242.html

URL: http://i55.tinypic.com/13yi6va.png

Wanna help spread the word about ReachingPerfection.com at other sites? Use the image above and link back to us.
Randy 355 Randy 355
Reply | Threaded
|

Chromes apps are about as good as firefox's, and I've used both. They are both great browsers.

No qualms with the ads since I can't see them, but are you accepting feature requests? I just want some spoiler boxes and a less annoying way to add pics and videos.

But you know what you want. It's already better than 343's forums.
DavidJCobb DavidJCobb
Reply | Threaded
|

Randy 355 wrote
No qualms with the ads since I can't see them, but are you accepting feature requests?
Yes. Go post in the Modification Ideas thread linked in Godly's OP.
mrgreenwithagun mrgreenwithagun
Reply | Threaded
|

I dont have a problem with the ads, but i think someone responsible for them needs to realize that this forum is frequented by young men, not old women looking to remove their wrinkles...
noklu noklu
Reply | Threaded
|

they can't specify things per forum - only the wider ranging nabble structure.
The otters are coming with whiskers honed to razor blades.
Know this and fear.

Email me at xnoklu[at]gmail.com should you need to contact me.
unk unk
Reply | Threaded
|

I'm not exactly sure the best way to report an ad, but I got an ad that was about "mate 1 intimate dating." I didn't get a picture of it. I'm not sure if this is the best to report an ad, but it's the only way I know how.
Reply | Threaded
|

Yes report an ad here, but if you get one PLEASE press prnt scrn so we can report it to the higher ups at Nabble.

Wanna help spread the word about ReachingPerfection.com at other sites? Use the image above and link back to us.
Reply | Threaded
|

I think I just got the ad... is this the one you are referring too?

unk unk
Reply | Threaded
|

Yes

And ok, I will next I see one.
Reply | Threaded
|

I've notified the higher ups and peter says that that ad is not intended and he will get it taken care of.