Sash Talks - A show about things Sash talks about?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Sash Talks - A show about things Sash talks about?

Sash
Administrator

I don't even know. I felt like making a series. I'll fill in some actually descriptive text when there is more to describe. For now, just watch the video and tell me what you think.

Oh, and additional episodes will be posted here as well.
Light can be just as blinding as Darkness. Bring some Sunglasses.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: Sash Talks - A show about things Sash talks about?

Sash
Administrator
Oh my. Because of increasingly inconvenient difficulties of the technical variety, I think I'll have to break up this episode into several parts. I've got upwards of nine quad builds to talk about and for the amount of depth that I want to go into for each of them, time constrains are beginning to be a factor. Because my upload speed is depressing and my laptop does have a cooling issue, I can't manage to upload a single huge video.

My idea is to use an ice pack to keep my laptop cool while I upload the vid, but I think I'll just redo the episode and break it up into maybe two or three parts, covering Heavy, Medium, and Light Quads, Weapon Loadouts, and Counters and Tactics.

Sorry to go back on my word about getting this episode out on the weekend, I just didn't foresee myself having any issues with this endeavor.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Sash
Administrator
In reply to this post by Sash
Episode One, Sash Talks Quads (of the Fortress Variety)

Reply | Threaded
|  

Quarter_Tilt
     On that bit about fortress quads winning DPS races - I certainly agree that would usually be the case, but it is important to note that damage does not occur until the quad(or any mech) has locked on and come within effective range; battle-rifles are much less threatening at long range due to their high decay rates and low muzzle velocities, and any high-powered weapon will lock on slowly(expanded - power spec does not significantly change base lock time, but gouging for power exposes one to those who don't, and weapons with high base power have high base lock-on). Fewer shots fired also leads to a larger margin for error making high-powered weapons less effective in short engagements, even if simple calculations suggest the opposite.
     This, when paired with a slow turning speed or a need to equip long-range FCS to synergize with long-ranged weapons(read -sniper rifles, the high-powered KE weapon) mean that a quad can easily be damage raced to death by builds with lower(or considerably lower) DPS, simply because the quad's capability to deal damage is being heavily restricted. No amount of skill can overcome the simple fact that high-boosts move an AC much faster than an AC can turn, and said HBs can move an AC out of a FCS's increasingly narrow window(scaling by range).
     Disclaimer: I apologize if I misinterpreted your video, or if this has already been covered. Also -this is based on experience piloting HRJs(the Tetra family's in-laws that aren't really quite right in the head). Furthermore, I am making the assumption that fortress quads must pack high-powered weaponry because they do not have the ability to escape from semi-active engagements with HBPs, HRJs, other quads, or even some tanks.

TLDR you can't shoot a target if you can't track it, and the wider variety of situations one is forced to cover, the less effective they are at a given range.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Sash
Administrator
Quarter_Tilt wrote
Furthermore, I am making the assumption that fortress quads must pack high-powered weaponry because they do not have the ability to escape from semi-active engagements with HBPs, HRJs, other quads, or even some tanks.

TLDR you can't shoot a target if you can't track it, and the wider variety of situations one is forced to cover, the less effective they are at a given range.
Well you're mostly right about the Damage Races. However, not every Fortress Quad has its shoulder units occupied with Subcomputers. Fortress Quads will get off a lot of damage in short bursts with missile payloads or Sawa fire at medium to long range, which normally deters people from getting close, but because of their poor turning and lack of general mobility, they have to control the range and pace of the engagement to prevent themselves from being attacked up-close, where they will have a harder time defending themselves.

I also don't run into a lot of Quads running Predire or Uzume, so their tracking up-close is actually quite reasonable. That, and Otkyrt allows for very quick dispensation of missiles over a wide area up-close and out to range, making it hard to discredit their ability to get off large amounts of damage when engaging close-range.

Of course, if you get behind a Quad it can't do much about you being there, and there's always more fearsome weapons than Gats in a DPS scenario.

Thanks for your input! Great fights the other day too ;)
Reply | Threaded
|  

Sash
Administrator

Tonks.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Sash
Administrator

Hmm. Things.

Video Ideas:

- KE Heavies (The merit of blocking KE Missiles)

- Recoil Resistance (and why Sash is obsessed with the Emei leg type)

- Weapon Combo Mini-Series
     -- Exploitative Combos
     -- Coverage Combos
     -- DPS and Armor Break Combos
     -- Meta MultiDual Combo analysis

- Justified Subcomputers (Team Support)

- Team Comp

- Teamwork!?

- How TE Damage options affect playstyles

- What/How Denali?

- What/How HRJ?

- Advocate for Rush Tanks