classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Scumbag Ads

DIRT JOCKEY
Maybe its just my browser, but whenever I try to read a post, there is an ad covering the first third of what was written.
It couldnt possibly be in a worse place, and with no 'X' or close box button, it becomes unavoidable and incredibly frustrating.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: Scumbag Ads

noklu
Administrator
Try all the basic things: clearing all your cookies etc. and using a different browser.

If it still happens, I suggest downloading and using an adblocker. I disagree in principle with adblocking, so I would suggest only activating it when it interferes with your experience, as it does now.
The otters are coming with whiskers honed to razor blades.
Know this and fear.

Email me at xnoklu[at]gmail.com should you need to contact me.
Reply | Threaded
|  

DavidJCobb
Administrator
In reply to this post by DIRT JOCKEY
@DIRT JOCKEY: Browser, version, OS? Screenshot? The more information you can provide, the easier it'll be for me to look into this.

As noklu said, an ad blocker should help you out in the interim. I use RequestPolicy, but that's more of a multipurpose security thing; the actual "AdBlocker" extensions for most browsers are easier to use, if a little clunkier.

@Noklu: once I finish the "profilepref" system (under-the-hood remodel for user profile customizations to make the code not completely suck), remind me to look into this matter.

Ad removal links appear to be wedged into the signature boxes of the first and last posts on the page. (I'm using an ad-blocker; I'm assuming that the ads themselves appear with those links.) That's just a really trashy way to position them IMO. I'd rather place them in their own table row, so I want a reminder so that I do the following:

1. Ask Nabble for permission to reposition the ads. Cease execution of this list if permission is denied.
2. Reposition the ads.
3. Investigate this bug while I do so and maybe kill two birds with one stone.
Reply | Threaded
|  

noklu
Administrator
Indeed a trashy positioning.

I'll try to remind you about this. May I recommend, Cobb, downloading a "to-do list" program? Might help with keeping track of things.
Know this and fear.

Reply | Threaded
|  

DavidJCobb
Administrator
noklu wrote
I'll try to remind you about this. May I recommend, Cobb, downloading a "to-do list" program? Might help with keeping track of things.
Used to use Windows 7's "Sticky Notes" for that. Always adjusted to the notes -- never remembered to look at them again.
Reply | Threaded
|  

noklu
Administrator
Hm. There are some that give you active notifications, popups or sounds and such like.
Know this and fear.

Reply | Threaded
|  

Dj7291993
Administrator
If you use Windows live mail, you can set reminders in that that will pop up on screen with a sound.  On topic, I agree on ad placement.  I don't see them when I'm on my computer, since I have ad block, but I do see them when I go on at work.  They get in the way, act like they are part of the sig, need to be better moderated, and overall look unprofessional.  I know we can't change the content of the ads, but making them more professional could be nice.

~Josh Hollinrake, Dj7291993

Email Me - Admin Message Box - My Portfolio

"Dreamers Dream, Doers Do, Achievers Achieve, But Champions Do It ALL." ~The Goads

"A man cannot directly choose his circumstances, but he can choose his thoughts, and so indirectly, yet surely, shape his circumstances." ~James Allen (As a Man Thinketh)

Reply | Threaded
|  

DavidJCobb
Administrator
It's in my Testing Perfection to-do list.

Current plans are as follows:

1. Finalize TP profilepref system.

2. Remove old profile system from TP, and rename profilepref macros to take its place.

3. Iron out any errors, references to deleted macros, et cetera.

4. Ask Nabble if we can move the ads.

5. If we can move the ads, move the ads into their own full-width table row, and center them. Investigate DIRT JOCKEY's bug while I do this. (This will go more smoothly if he, or someone else who is affected, can give me a browser, browser version, and a screenshot of the bug. :\ )

6. Get this all tested and and checked through.

7. Prop changes from TP to RP.