11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Site Activity

Dj7291993
Administrator
Why do you guys suppose it's dropped so much?  Back in the day (lol, hate to use that phrase, but it seemed fitting), with the exception of this one, all the sections had times for their most recent post, rather than dates.  And if they were dates, they were recent.  Now, seems like Serious is the only one that has any regular activity, but it's all AC.  I know it was mostly Halo players before, but the discussion involved everything.  It was a community, instead of a video game forum.    But, maybe it's just me.

~Josh Hollinrake, Dj7291993

Email Me - Admin Message Box - My Portfolio

"Dreamers Dream, Doers Do, Achievers Achieve, But Champions Do It ALL." ~The Goads

"A man cannot directly choose his circumstances, but he can choose his thoughts, and so indirectly, yet surely, shape his circumstances." ~James Allen (As a Man Thinketh)

Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: Site Activity

DavidJCobb
Administrator
lolReach brought us together. Couldn't keep us together, though. Godly shifting from Halo to AC is also a small contributing factor, but as I'm not on during the day I can't say much about that because I don't know much about that.

I honestly get the feeling that all Forge communities are in a wee bit of a slump. We're just small, so a "wee bit" is a lot for us. Wait 'til Halo 4; things'll probably pick up pretty nice and quick when that comes out.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Road Rash
In reply to this post by Dj7291993
I never played with Forge but my 11 year old son has recently discovered the joys of playing with Forge. Unfortunately for him he's still a bit young for the full power of the internet and I'm not sure if any of you would want to play on his unique creations anyway. lol

He's a bright kid and if he wants to delve deeper into Forge than I would probably start utilizing that end of this site for information instead of concentrating on ACV which is my current game of choice and the reason I'm here. I do look at the other forums here from time to time.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

GAMERGODZBANNERFINAL600X149.jpg

Reply | Threaded
|  

GodlyPerfection
Administrator
Yeah me shifting between games messed with it. No worries though. Those who made RP their home for Halo: Reach forge have a very good chance of all coming back at once for Halo 4's release... even when they announce Forge details. Especially since I'm a cartographer right now. The activity will jump with Halo 4 almost guaranteed. And I have a couple tricks up my sleeve to help that as well. Diablo 3 is the next game on my list, but I have been slowly getting back into forging.

URL: http://i55.tinypic.com/13yi6va.png

Wanna help spread the word about ReachingPerfection.com at other sites? Use the image above and link back to us.
Reply | Threaded
|  

MDFlash
Dj7291993 wrote
Why do you guys suppose it's dropped so much?  Back in the day (lol, hate to use that phrase, but it seemed fitting), with the exception of this one, all the sections had times for their most recent post, rather than dates.  And if they were dates, they were recent.  Now, seems like Serious is the only one that has any regular activity, but it's all AC.  I know it was mostly Halo players before, but the discussion involved everything.  It was a community, instead of a video game forum.    But, maybe it's just me.
First off, don't take this the wrong way; I am not clamoring for a promotion/portfolio, and frankly, I have only a handful of completed works so I wouldn't be able to do much with one anyway.  However, with that said, I think part of the problem (at least from a "new member" standpoint) is that I haven't seen a round of promotions in the 4+ months I have been a member.  I might recall one new portfolio coming up, but that's about it.  This is a Halo forging community that has not formally let in any new Halo forgers in a while.  There have been new people on the introductions forum, but I haven't really felt comfortable with offering posts similar to the one I got when I joined along the lines of, "Hey, stick around and be active and you'll have a portfolio in no time," because I haven't seen it happen yet for myself or anyone else.  Bottom line: there isn't much incentive to stick around if all you're looking for is a place to showcase your stuff because the timecourse to earn it is too long (at least 4 months as I know it, and I'm sure there are members who've been here longer than me who don't have one either).  Alternatively, these newer forgers can just go to any other forging site and even if the member quality isn't as strong, at least they can get faster exposure.

The fact that Bungie is dark and 343 hasn't resumed online file shares yet also hurts a lot (though blueprint seems to be doing fine with that with the forced-tagging method).

Just my two cents.
Dies omnis est donum.
Reply | Threaded
|  

GodlyPerfection
Administrator
MDFlash wrote
First off, don't take this the wrong way; I am not clamoring for a promotion/portfolio, and frankly, I have only a handful of completed works so I wouldn't be able to do much with one anyway.  However, with that said, I think part of the problem (at least from a "new member" standpoint) is that I haven't seen a round of promotions in the 4+ months I have been a member.  I might recall one new portfolio coming up, but that's about it.  This is a Halo forging community that has not formally let in any new Halo forgers in a while.  There have been new people on the introductions forum, but I haven't really felt comfortable with offering posts similar to the one I got when I joined along the lines of, "Hey, stick around and be active and you'll have a portfolio in no time," because I haven't seen it happen yet for myself or anyone else.  Bottom line: there isn't much incentive to stick around if all you're looking for is a place to showcase your stuff because the timecourse to earn it is too long (at least 4 months as I know it, and I'm sure there are members who've been here longer than me who don't have one either).  Alternatively, these newer forgers can just go to any other forging site and even if the member quality isn't as strong, at least they can get faster exposure.

The fact that Bungie is dark and 343 hasn't resumed online file shares yet also hurts a lot (though blueprint seems to be doing fine with that with the forced-tagging method).

Just my two cents.
Don't take this the wrong way MD, but you haven't really ever been active. You just hit 45 posts since like January. Typically being deemed active is actually participating in discussions for about a month. When people start to recognize your name then you are active enough. Granted as of late there isn't much to participate in so of course there haven't been any promotions. If anyone was getting promoted it would be many of the ACV members because they are all sorts of active and when I see their avatar and name I actually already know who they are and their personality.

This site isn't a site to showcase your stuff. That is not what it is here for. It is here to make friends and be part of a more mature community. Being able to post your work is a privilege that is earned when you have become a part of the community. I'm fine with the fact that it pushes forgers looking to mainly post their work away. Because the smart ones stick around because they know that what they get from the community and being involved with it is far more valuable than being able to post their work. That is why it has been so easy to keep a mature population around RP... because we don't just let people come here to show off. Instead people come here to build a reputation, make friends, learn, discuss, and hang out. We don't want people just coming here to post their work. Most people don't realize that building that reputation is more important because if you join a site then post your work, most people will not look at it very carefully unless they already know who you are. At the time you earn your portfolio a good portion of the community are already familiar with you and when you post something they will actually take the time to look at it because you have built a name for yourself around the community.

The system isn't very nice for those who aren't willing to put in the effort. However the system is more than just nice for those who do put in the effort. The Infection playlist is a great example of this. Over 50% of that playlist is made of maps from member here at RP. People who took the time to build a name for themselves. I worked closely with them to make sure that the matchmaking task for that month was full filled.

I don't care about the drop in activity. That is to be expected with the coming of Halo 4. Every site is in a lull right now, it is all just natural. And I prefer my communities to be small and close knit and RP will more than likely stay that way because of the portfolio system drives away your typical "I just want to show off my work" forger.

Wanna help spread the word about ReachingPerfection.com at other sites? Use the image above and link back to us.
Reply | Threaded
|  

MDFlash
This post was updated on .
GodlyPerfection wrote
Don't take this the wrong way MD, but you haven't really ever been active. You just hit 45 posts since like January. Typically being deemed active is actually participating in discussions for about a month. When people start to recognize your name then you are active enough. Granted as of late there isn't much to participate in so of course there haven't been any promotions. If anyone was getting promoted it would be many of the ACV members because they are all sorts of active and when I see their avatar and name I actually already know who they are and their personality.
[...]
In case you missed the disclaimer, I am and was not asking for a portfolio for myself; if I wanted to throw myself some sort of whiney bitch-fest, I'd of done it long ago.  I was simply offering my thoughts on the topic as I have seen a handful of active members who have not been promoted.  As far as my low post-count, I almost laughed out loud thinking of all the kids on the Halo forums screaming about their K/D's.  I don't spam the forums with posts, but rather sit back and read a lot of what other people have to say so that I can learn, and as a consequence, I have a low post count.  As far as measuring my "activity" goes, I think there are a number of people in this community who could vouch for me that I am quite active on XBL: joining RP test sessions, jumping into forge to offer and/or receive assistance, etc.

I work 60-80 hours per week in the hospital, come home and study another 1-3 hours per night for my shelf exams, and then kill time playing Halo and hanging out on Live with other RP members I've become friendly with until my fiancee comes home for the night - at which time I chill with her.  Not only is forging not my life, it's not even close to being a priority; it's something that I do for enjoyment with the people I've met around here.  That's why I made the comment initially that I did not really need or want a portfolio leading into the rest of my post offering one more possibility for the decreased site activity in response to the OP.  If you disagree with my opinion, great; that's your opinion.  I don't really appreciate the personal attack (your post could have made its point all the same without the opening paragraph), but that's fine.  I have said what I wanted to say now and will not respond further on the topic because I do not want to start/fuel a flame war.
Dies omnis est donum.
Reply | Threaded
|  

GodlyPerfection
Administrator
MDFlash wrote
In case you missed the disclaimer, I am and was not asking for a portfolio for myself; if I wanted to throw myself some sort of whiney bitch-fest, I'd of done it long ago.  I was simply offering my thoughts on the topic as I have seen a handful of active members who have not been promoted, some of whom must have been here more than 4 months as I noticed them as members from when I first joined.  As far as my low post-count, I almost laughed out loud thinking of all the kids on the Halo forums screaming about their K/D's.  I don't spam the forums with posts, but rather sit back and read a lot of what other people have to say so that I can learn, and as a consequence, I have a low post count.  As far as measuring my "activity" goes, I think there are a number of people in this community who could vouch for me that I am quite active on XBL: joining RP test sessions, jumping into forge to offer and/or receive assistance, etc.

I work 60-80 hours per week in the hospital, come home and study another 1-3 hours per night for my shelf exams, and then kill time playing Halo and hanging out on Live with other RP members I've become friendly with until my fiancee comes home for the night - at which time I chill with her.  Not only is forging not my life, it's not even close to being a priority; it's something that I do for enjoyment with the people I've met around here.  That's why I made the comment initially that I did not really need or want a portfolio leading into the rest of my post offering one more possibility for the decreased site activity in response to the OP.  If you disagree with my opinion, great; that's your opinion.  I don't really appreciate the personal attack, but that's fine.  I have said what I wanted to say now and will not respond further on the topic because I do not want to start/fuel a flame war.
Post count is one of the metrics, not the only metric. With myself not playing Halo it is one of the main metrics that I use. I'm not saying spam the forum, but lurking isn't being part of the community. And just because someone has a high post count doesn't mean they are actively participating in the community either.

I understand when people spend more time in customs and that is fine. However if a person isn't utilizing the forum, then they don't really need a portfolio now do they? I do take in-game into account when I am there to help judge. And if not then there are people that would vouch or others. This is a community so if you notice that someone is more deserving than point it out. If I don't see it myself, how am I supposed to know otherwise? We've done this in the past and some people have been fully vouched into membership.

I wasn't personally attacking you, I was justifying my reasoning as to why you haven't been promoted. I don't disagree with your opinion. If there is someone that you feel is active enough for a portfolio then let me know. I used you as an example... what I said for you goes for everyone. That is how we judge who gets promoted. It is a subjective process... when it feels right to promote someone then we do it. It also doesn't help that most of us have been busy with other things in our lives. I haven't heard anyone even mention portfolios except you, Blaq Cloud, and Soladrin from the ACV side. When people do I will jump on it, until then there is no real rush until we get closer to Halo 4.

Getting a portfolio is a privilege and something that someone has to be able to and want to use. Again I'm sorry you felt that I was personally attacking you... most people part of this community would know that I don't attack people, I justify reasoning. I've got a subscription to EVERY forum via email. Every individual post gets emailed to me so I can see what is going on. From what I've seen there has been no one worthy of promotion in a long time that doesn't already have member status except the ACV crowd. And they don't need it right about now, if they do want it then I'll hand it to them, but they aren't here as designers.

Reply | Threaded
|  

noklu
Administrator
On a couple of these notes, Godly will you please look in the Member Promotion Lists. I'm in the same boat as you are; I don't have an XBL metric to judge by so I cannot promote or demote anyone. I've been rolling a couple things around, and I would gladly do promotions for those who deserve it, but I simply cannot.

MD has raised a valid point, and I think there are at least some people that could be worthy of promotions -- once we take into account XBL activity.

Also, I would like to ask you Godly, will you recontinue the Forge Lessons once Halo 4 begins / in its lead up? I've been maintaining a monthly activity rate on the front page, which I've been enjoying, but I'm sure my articles are not nearly the draw card that your lessons are. (By the way, check the blog page for an article to approve and post.)
The otters are coming with whiskers honed to razor blades.
Know this and fear.

Email me at xnoklu[at]gmail.com should you need to contact me.
Reply | Threaded
|  

GodlyPerfection
Administrator
noklu wrote
On a couple of these notes, Godly will you please look in the Member Promotion Lists. I'm in the same boat as you are; I don't have an XBL metric to judge by so I cannot promote or demote anyone. I've been rolling a couple things around, and I would gladly do promotions for those who deserve it, but I simply cannot.

MD has raised a valid point, and I think there are at least some people that could be worthy of promotions -- once we take into account XBL activity.

Also, I would like to ask you Godly, will you recontinue the Forge Lessons once Halo 4 begins / in its lead up? I've been maintaining a monthly activity rate on the front page, which I've been enjoying, but I'm sure my articles are not nearly the draw card that your lessons are. (By the way, check the blog page for an article to approve and post.)
As far as XBL activity there has been no one to really monitor that as things have been slow on the Halo side. If anyone brings me a good list of people who they think should be promoted then I'd definitely look into it as I will probably promote a good amount of ACV members to encourage them to be a part of the entire site, not just the ACV side.

As for the Forge Lessons, I'm planning out a new series for Halo 4 within a week or two. I got permission from Alaskan (343i matchmaking team lead) to use Community Cartographer as a badge of credibility for the series. It will be a video series and be a lot less formal and less structured than the Forge Lessons, but will be more interactive, informative, and on going. A casual tips and tricks forge series basically that hits on points that can help people forge in Halo 4 as well as forge to get their maps in matchmaking. It would also encourage questions through comments, a couple giveaway contests to promote awareness of the series, and a couple other things. I do have to ensure that I specify that things that I suggest are things that I specifically look for and that I am unable to speak for any other cartographer, but I could definitely have them as guest stars to give their point of view.

Reply | Threaded
|  

external memory
This post was updated on .
That's interesting to speculate on what you'd be looking for beyond simply design terms for Halo 4; technical aspects like spawning which we already know is getting an overhaul, larger weapon selection, larger sandbox in general. We know what is changing, just not how, or any specifics yet. I'm sure all the cartographers are on a need to know basis as far as their role is concerned, otherwise you're as much in the dark as the rest of us.

I'm sure it'll also spark some debate as far as what gametypes a map should support for submission – given also that 343 has been pretty tight lipped about playlists, gametypes, etc. – and the fact that the tacit philosophy on a lack of gametype support barring entry allows seems to have shifted, not that there was any explicit driving philosophy to begin with. Any other than if the playlist with community content would link it to anything other than deathmatch, designs which supported objectives as well could stay up while those that didn't wouldn't.
EXEM