So, how 'bout that Forge Island?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

So, how 'bout that Forge Island?

Randy 355
PAX East has revealed some pretty awesome stuff for Halo 4. I am most excited for the new Forge Island they showed off at their panel.
Forge Island Preview
Not the best quality, but it gives you an idea of what the map looks like.

New Forge pieces, many pieces from the old forge maps, lots of room, flat surfaces, oh hell yes.
Now, I'm not complaining, but it does look a tad artificial in terms of the island's geometry, and they're all raised off of the water. But, dammit, I'm still excited! What do you guys think?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: So, how 'bout that Forge Island?

grimcreepr
Kinda made me laugh when he said "someone please remake Blood Gulch." Yeah, because that will be possible on a completely flat surface...

Other than that, i'm actually pretty excited about the possibilities. Might be possible to built some great Avalanche, or even Sandtrap inspired maps on that large island. Looking forward to seeing the greatness that will come from there. Even the smaller islands could be useful. Unlike the large islands, you won't have the rest of it in the way if you want a non-enclosed map. Which was a problem that emerged in just about every map in Reach that was built in the gulch, but didn't take up the entire thing. You sort of had to just draw a line in the sand, or put up a bunch of coli walls to keep them in. Now, the maps geometry clearly defines the boundry. I see people using this to great effect.

And it's fucking free! I take free wherever I can get it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thrashh
In reply to this post by Randy 355
Forge Island looks okay I guess. It's free, so no sense bitching too much. I don't like that it looks just like Ravine, it doesn't have Forge World's natural diversity and they didn't even bother to change the aesthetic of the pieces. On the other hand, nice flat spaces are good, with defined boundaries like the guy above said. I'll wait to judge until I see where the soft kills are and what kind of new objects are added, if any. If it's the same old stuff it'll be a disappointment.

At least it's looking pretty good next to the castlol map pack. That makes 2 of the DLC packs that are a total waste of memory. Last fucking time I buy a map pass from Microsoft.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuN Fortress
Looks kind of, I don't know, lazy. That's just my opinion. It's pretty neat-o that it's free and all, but we have that huge, open space in Erosion already.

"But, Fortress, this one has ISLANDS! Of DIFFERENT sizes!"

Whoop-de-fucking-doo? You could just, you know, close off your playing area in Erosion? I don't know why they just forgot to stick those into Ravine in the first place. Yeah, the fact that it's an island gives you pre-built boundaries, but is it really that hard to just make your own? You don't even need to completely wall it in, just dot your map's edges with objects that clearly define what the play area is.
Reply | Threaded
|

noklu
Administrator
@Fortress: Well, it could help with any frame rate issues (not sure if those are still as bad as they could be in Reach).

And I guess it just makes it easier for lazy people. Eh.
The otters are coming with whiskers honed to razor blades.
Know this and fear.

Email me at xnoklu[at]gmail.com should you need to contact me.
Reply | Threaded
|

external memory
It must be the large body of water and relatively low poly environs that are giving me Wind Waker flashbacks right now.

Can you build down by the water, I wonder?
EXEM
Reply | Threaded
|

FuN Fortress
external memory wrote
It must be the large body of water and relatively low poly environs that are giving me Wind Waker flashbacks right now.

If I were a betting man, I'd say that it'd be killzoned off. No water in the other two forge maps has been accessible as of yet. As a matter-of-fact, I'd be so bold as to bet that halfway up the smallest pillar is where the killzoning begins.

And to make things really crazy, I would also wager that the King of Red Lions and the underwater city of Hyrule are visible just below the surface. What a tease that would be, eh?
Reply | Threaded
|

GodlyPerfection
Administrator
In reply to this post by external memory
external memory wrote

As of the latest build you can build on the water with no killzone. But that could have changed since we heard that from David and Jess.

URL: http://i55.tinypic.com/13yi6va.png

Wanna help spread the word about ReachingPerfection.com at other sites? Use the image above and link back to us.
Reply | Threaded
|

MythicFritz
Forge Island is what they should have released on launch. Simple, clean, blank. Save themselves some work and let us do all of it. I don't want all of that extra stuff on the other maps, it just breaks my cohesion or forces me to build walls to block it from view.

Plus the lowered contrast and saturation was a great thing as well in my opinion. So many maps have been hard on the eyes while playing because of the intensity of the light vs shadows. This alone makes me perfectly happy with the same textures as Ravine.

In my opinion this is one thing 343 has finally done just right. I might start forging again.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuN Fortress
MythicFritz wrote
Forge Island is what they should have released on launch. Simple, clean, blank. Save themselves some work and let us do all of it. I don't want all of that extra stuff on the other maps, it just breaks my cohesion or forces me to build walls to block it from view.

Plus the lowered contrast and saturation was a great thing as well in my opinion. So many maps have been hard on the eyes while playing because of the intensity of the light vs shadows. This alone makes me perfectly happy with the same textures as Ravine.

In my opinion this is one thing 343 has finally done just right. I might start forging again.
I agree. At first I was pretty skeptical myself of Forge Islands, but, you know what, they turned out pretty nice. There is a perfect moody and foggy feel down by the water, and under the large island, the lighting is all dark and spooky and it looks fantastic. Plus, the whole blank slate thing is neat, not that we didn't have that in Erosion to begin with, but whatever. It's a good thing that Microshaft if allowing this to be released for free, and not for 1200 MS points or some shit like that. I think I would've laughed so hard that I would've died because of the cough I have.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dart3rocks
TREES!!! GIANT ROCK WALL THING!!!
haha, but seriously can't wait to start forging I already have something in the plans that i've been debating on where to build here seems like the best option!

Dart3rocks
My Portfolio
Sniper Tips
Works in the making....Extrication and Aurora Edits
Reply | Threaded
|

noklu
Administrator
Dart3rocks wrote
TREES!!! GIANT ROCK WALL THING!!!
haha, but seriously can't wait to start forging I already have something in the plans that i've been debating on where to build here seems like the best option!
I think he's pleased. Not sure what gave me that impression. But I think he's pleased.
The otters are coming with whiskers honed to razor blades.
Know this and fear.

Email me at xnoklu[at]gmail.com should you need to contact me.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ahtzee
Well, I like the map. To me, it's by far, this best forge canvas to work with in Halo 4 to date.
Reply | Threaded
|

mrgreenwithagun
I played on a number of forge island maps and I think this is the best canvas by far for overall visual aesthetics. The blocks have one draw back, that they blend together too well along the edges, but the visual noise is much lower than on other canvases.  The trees and rocks are a great addition. I expect most of the great maps to come from this canvas.
Reply | Threaded
|

external memory
In reply to this post by FuN Fortress
FuN Fortress wrote
And to make things really crazy, I would also wager that the King of Red Lions and the underwater city of Hyrule are visible just below the surface. What a tease that would be, eh?
When I get done with my college learnings (just 3 more weeks omgwtf) one of the first things I'm gonna do is dig out the xbox and tv from the closet, load up Forge Island and float on blasting this sing-along:
EXEM
Reply | Threaded
|

FuN Fortress
external memory wrote
FuN Fortress wrote
When I get done with my college learnings (just 3 more weeks omgwtf) one of the first things I'm gonna do is dig out the xbox and tv from the closet, load up Forge Island and float on blasting this sing-along:
lol.

Or, you know, you can dig out the ol' Gamecube and just play Wind Waker. Or bring me my N64 and Majora's Mask cartridge, since I'd prefer that.
Reply | Threaded
|

deathxxrenegade
I'm very happy with it. I HAVE TREES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Time to start Earth Temple....
To command the past you control the future. To command the future you conquer the past.    

Kane