26 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Tartarus - "The Pit" Remake

Randy 355
This post was updated on .
Well, as an update, I'd like to state that the layout and weapon/player spawns of this remake are complete! I am ready for some testing. I'd show screens, but Halo 4's file system isn't working right now. If you want to see it, search my gamertag in the fileshare section on Halo 4. The map file can be found there as Tartarus v0.5.

It's currently ready for Infinity Slayer and CTF testing. No classic settings yet. The map is more accurate than Cyberdyne was, and now even features the "Anne Frank" upstairs area above flag spawn! There is mild split screen framerate drop, but nothing you wouldn't currently find in matchmaking anyway...

You can thank P1 Mario for coming up with the name "Tartarus". It is both a reference to greek mythology as well as Halo 2. The description is:
War Games coordinators insist upon simulating old UNSC training facilities to phase out obsolete live fire exercises.

-------------------------
Well, you could say that this is a re-remake for me, as some of you may know I have already recreated this bitchin' map in Halo: Reach as the forge map Cyberdyne, and with quite some accuracy. Not to sound pompous...

Now I am choosing to do it again in Halo 4 for a good sum of reasons. For one, I love this map and it is very popular among the Halo population, and I personally think it has potential with Halo 4's new sandbox elements. Another reason is that after having created this map not only once, but twice since I started over on it at one point, that I am now pretty intimate with this map as I know the structures, scaling, and purpose of most of the map's areas. A third reason is that I can now recreate the map very early in Halo 4's life, so not only will people not have to wade through as many half-baked, inaccurate, remakes, but now more people can download my remake than ever since it will be built on an on-disk map, unlike Cyberdyne which was built on Tempest; a DLC map for Reach.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: Remake - The Pit

MythicFritz
Cyberdyne is impressive. Are you going to reremake to scale and play with classic settings or adapt the scale for default H4 if it's needed?
Reply | Threaded
|  

external memory
MythicFritz wrote
Cyberdyne is impressive. Are you going to reremake to scale and play with classic settings or adapt the scale for default H4 if it's needed?
That's what I was wondering too. Re: classic settings,
GP wrote
During those first couple months of Halo 4 your goal is to create what will be a fresh and new environment for thousands of players that enjoy your typical 4v4 Infinity Slayer and 5v5 Objective gametypes (CTF, Oddball, etc.).
So while remakes are totally within the project goals (see Ragnarok, which fit well with Halo 4 scale/movement/settings), I wonder if The Pit will work fine without classic settings, and if not, will it still fit the project?
EXEM
Reply | Threaded
|  

Randy 355
This post was updated on .
MythicFritz wrote
This is something that playtests will determine in the revision I made of Cyberdyne for the Halo 4 mockup gametype. In my opinion, I think this map may work at scale with Halo 4's default settings, albeit differently than it ever has before.
external memory wrote
GP wrote
During those first couple months of Halo 4 your goal is to create what will be a fresh and new environment for thousands of players that enjoy your typical 4v4 Infinity Slayer and 5v5 Objective gametypes (CTF, Oddball, etc.).
So while remakes are totally within the project goals (see Ragnarok, which fit well with Halo 4 scale/movement/settings), I wonder if The Pit will work fine without classic settings, and if not, will it still fit the project?
I assume it will. While matches will likely not very easily be able to exceed 4v4s anymore, I think it will be a nice fit from anywhere in between 2 to 10 players. Having played Cyberdyne with reach settings, I do have an idea on how AAs will work on this map, such as sprint, jetpack, camo, and hologram. I think with the addition of all players having sprint at all times, it may feel about as tight as Blackout or Guardian does in Halo 3. Still functional, but very different. Different as with an appropriate range of new possibilities in engagements with the enemy. So, while it will be a remake, it will offer a new experience with Halo 4's sandbox. Just as you might expect with Ragnarok. (And no, that's not a hint on adding Mantis'. You know what I mean!)
Reply | Threaded
|  

GodlyPerfection
Administrator
In reply to this post by Randy 355
The Pit was the first map that came to mind for possibly being workable in Halo 4. It may be a bit tight, but I think for 4v4 it will do fine. It may need a bit of resizing done for 5v5 objective, but it doesn't feel too far off.

Oh yeah and counted for points.

URL: http://i55.tinypic.com/13yi6va.png

Wanna help spread the word about ReachingPerfection.com at other sites? Use the image above and link back to us.
Reply | Threaded
|  

P1 Mario
Oi Randy, we were talking last night about your change to The Pit's original description and the concept behind Infinity Slayer.  Are you going to flesh out that story change?
~Ask not why I get to be Player 1.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Randy 355
P1 Mario wrote
Oi Randy, we were talking last night about your change to The Pit's original description and the concept behind Infinity Slayer.  Are you going to flesh out that story change?
Haha, yeah dude. For those who don't know or have forgotten, the description of the original version of The Pit states, "Software simulations are held in contempt by the veteran instructors who run these training facilities." The irony is that we are on board the Infinity in Halo 4, and are using a Holodeck to simulate battle scenarios so as to train the Spartan IVs (and possibly other assets).

I was thinking maybe I could use this as a theme. I might could have the remake aesthetically feel like a simulation. Maybe some Infinity staff are rather assertive in their use of software simulations...
Reply | Threaded
|  

MythicFritz
You could make your own description, twisting the original. Something about 'live rounds training' being considered outdated by the 'latest oni operatives who designed this training facility' or something. :)
Reply | Threaded
|  

GodlyPerfection
Administrator
MythicFritz wrote
You could make your own description, twisting the original. Something about 'live rounds training' being considered outdated by the 'latest oni operatives who designed this training facility' or something. :)
This... that would be hilarious... DO IT!

Wanna help spread the word about ReachingPerfection.com at other sites? Use the image above and link back to us.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Randy 355
Oh, definitely! I think it's funny as hell.

On another note, I just read over this little treat from Bungie.net:
Excavating The Pit
It's all about the production of The Pit. May be a good read for Level Design Resources. I think it is.

Also, a good part of it:
Chris Carney wrote
Steve did this cool thing with the glass where it’s kind of translucent, but there’s still some opacity to it…there’s still some diffuse light. Not bright sunlight, but the bright section is definitely the opening and as you get deeper into the hangar, it gets darker. It helps you orient. ‘Oh, the light side is the front, the dark side is the back.’
No doubt this will be included in my Halo 4 remake. =D
Reply | Threaded
|  

GodlyPerfection
Administrator
What a great find... consider this added to the level design resources. :) I'll read it later when I find more time.

Reply | Threaded
|  

Randy 355
Well, I have created a shadow model for The Pit, as to get a good sense of how shadows will differentiate the two symmetrical sides:

Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: Tartarus - "The Pit" Remake

Randy 355
Update above. It's pretty great. I promise.
Reply | Threaded
|  

P1 Mario
Oh man, this thing is gorgeous.  Also, I'm loving the way you keep people from jumping out of the map.  It really feels like I'm hitting an invisible wall.
~Ask not why I get to be Player 1.
Reply | Threaded
|  

GodlyPerfection
Administrator
Can't wait to check this out bro. I've seen a couple of Pit Remakes around so I'm hoping yours blows them out of the water. ;)

Reply | Threaded
|  

Randy 355
Thanks Godly! It's good to see you around here again.

Mine is the most accurate one I've seen so far. I'm not even being egotistical, cause it just is in terms of scaling. :P Though, it seems everyone is making a big deal out of SaLoT's. I've looked at it. I think he tried to upscale it, but it's all out of wack... Like, it's not really a Pit remake after his upscale. The way it's built, there is no way it would play the same.. Not sure what the fuss is all about, but hey, we all have our preferences I suppose.

I've seen a couple others that are okay, but I suppose we will see. I just wish 343 would hurry up with the file share and screenshot system so I could show off a bit more.
Reply | Threaded
|  

DarkJediMasterX
I downloaded the map and I must say you did a great job! This is one of my favorite Halo 3 maps. Is this the final version? If so I would suggest renaming it so the v0.5 is removed.
Halo 4 walkthroughs, lets plays & more http://www.youtube.com/user/darkholegames

For daily game news go to http://darkholegames.net/
Reply | Threaded
|  

Randy 355
Thanks! This is not the final version. I have the number there so when people find issues they can tell me which version they found it on. When I hit 1.0 I will remove the version numeral.

As for the screenshots, go ahead and make them all separate. Thank you so much, it really is a huge help!

Edit: Also, you should redownload it. I now have Tartarus v0.6.2. It has a few cosmetic differences, and is just a better version.
Reply | Threaded
|  

DarkJediMasterX
I will do my best to get the screenshots to you asap.
Halo 4 walkthroughs, lets plays & more http://www.youtube.com/user/darkholegames

Reply | Threaded
|  

DarkJediMasterX
Randy 355 I have completed your request.

Blue side

Blue side

Blue side

Blue side

Red side

Red side

Red side tunnel entrance

Sword room

Red side

birds eye view