UNAC development progress?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
 |  25 messages Options
Reply | Quote | Edit |  
Report Content as Inappropriate

UNAC development progress?

Sul Incasune
I'm just curious if anybody has made significant progress with their UNAC. Also, does anybody know when we will be getting the UNAC DLC?
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

Re: UNAC development progress?

Sash
AC Forum Admin
Wolf Pack
Sash X64
I'm still developing my UNAC via Operations Files. When I'm maxed out, I think I'll make one that follows me around with a fully-charged Karasawa that I can just mark a target for ^-^

'Course that's pretty bad mannered. Likely I'll just make a more armored version of my Heavy Biped and fool around for a while.
Light can be just as blinding as Darkness. Bring some Sunglasses.
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

Hetalynx
IrrelephancyEU
rantingpasserby
Muh UNAC?

I made a simple dualgat + weapon arms AC, but the second conditional tree doesn't kick in, even though I made it use the gats as soon as the WAs empty itself. Weird.
"But what do I stick into mechgirls? Fuel rods?"
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

Quarter_Tilt
Quarter Tilt
UNACs seem to work best with less chips and simple designs. I've noticed that it is best to think carefully about giving them conflicting chips. Giving a gatling gun UNAC two chips to cover 0-250 range is a fair plan, but it could cause them to fire in bursts. A backpeddaler with Burya and a boost-charge chip will end up hovering in the air virtually stationary, because their acceleration resets whenever they read the enemy to be within kick range.
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

Dracheseele
Some of the biggest conflicts I see with UNACs going from competent to herpderp involve movement and scan mode chips.

For movement, Terrain can somewhat override your UNAC's movement patterns. So if you're having it try to be hyper aggressive or defensive it can act up depending on the map. So glide boost rushers and ultra long range snipers can be finicky.

If your scan mode chips are set incorrectly it can completely de-fang it. Make sure your forced scan mode is set outside of your weapon ranges, also make sure that your scan mode activation and deactivation levels match up with your other chips.
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

Sul Incasune
This post was updated on .
I find that tuning a UNAC to properly evade is one of the most complicated task in creating one, even more so when you are throwing energy weapons in the mix.

But I do have to agree with Quarter Tilt, using less operation patterns seems to be more efficient on most UNAC designs, unless your said UNAC is built to utilize multiple types of weapons.

Also, your UNACs will only ever run at 50% of their true combat potential unless you pair them with a skilled operator that knows how to coordinate UNACs.
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

Sul Incasune
Is there really a future for mercenaries now that we have UNAC's?
On a side note, I noticed about 75% of the time mercs refuse to work with UNACs, I find this amusing.
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

thirteen37
The biggest advantage mercs have is being able to switch AC to something appropriate to the sortie map. If you brought a fragile midrange UNAC and get stuck in tight terrain, GG UNAC. That's supposing your mercs are changing AC setup based on the map, of course.
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

Falkner00
Grantz
Are there any good comprehensive guides to programing UNACs? It seems pretty in depth, I'm kinda lost.
GENDOWNED
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

thirteen37
Nah. I know a little if you need a hand with anything.
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

Falkner00
Grantz
Thanks :) I'm sure if I tinker in it long enough, I'll get used to it. It's just rather daunting where I'm at now. I'll pop in and yell for help if (when) I get too lost
GENDOWNED
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

thirteen37
Cool.

Don't expect too much from your positioning logic... I think there's map-specific navigation logic the AI follows first, and then your range/angle input is more a suggestion than an order.
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

Quarter_Tilt
Quarter Tilt
Hey there. After smashing my head against the desk for the better part of my afternoon, I've figured out a few things about UNAC logic that I'd like to share.

The "disengagement range" parameter for ready-position weapons(or sniper cannon chips, at least) has a translation error in its description, claiming that the gun will disengage ready state if the target's distance is greater than or equal to the value specified. The opposite is true - it's basically just the minimum range.

UNACs can only fire weapons that don't require lock-on at targets within their lock-on range(?!?!) regardless of the chip's specified firing range. Or in other news, if your UNAC just does a funny little dance when it tries to fire its sniper cannon at you, it's because the chip is saying "YES! SHOOT THAT BITCH!" and the FCS is saying "Shoot what? Go home SC-chip, you're drunk."

I've only been experimenting with the [weapon installation status] [operation switching] chip so far. I've heard complaints from my teammates about this one, so I'll just add this on the end in case it helps someone: you need the weapon slot that governs the operation swap to correspond to the weapon being purged, not the weapon being installed. If you're trying to make your UNAC use multiple weapons(and can't simply tweak the install ranges in the ordinary gun tree) then I would suggest using the [target defense/leg type] [operation swapping] chip instead. I havn't tested this yet, so I don't know if you can reinstall logic trees that have been uninstalled. The [target defense/leg type] chip seems to be the only one that has that sort of potential, so it might not work that way.

Finally, for the love of all that is holy, make sure to use five targeting chips with fast update intervals on every UNAC you build. The stupid SIGNs UNACs that pursue a single target to the ends of the Earth even if someone else is trying to put a foot up their ass do so because they don't have enough targeting chips. They read left to right too, so I highly recommend ordering them from vague to specific, like telling the UNAC to shoot at ACs instead of boxes before going into detail with leg types and such.
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

Sash
AC Forum Admin
Wolf Pack
Sash X64
Oh, I forgot we had a thread for UNACs. Thanks a ton for your research Tilt, I'd like to add mine sometime, maybe even post my UNAC.

Anyway, I ended up making a dangerous UNAC that I aptly named Robosash, which plays extremely passively as a Tank with a Pulse Cannon, Heat Cannon, and Spread Missiles. It's pretty unassuming, and even when I fight it, I often forget that it's capable of killing me within seconds. However, it has the problem of killing subtargets instead of ACs. I guess I should take advantage of your handy little development on targeting chips, Tilt.

Oh, and I'll post what I've found to be the ideal Boost Charge frequency, if anyone is interested. Hell, on that note, I'll just post what I've found to be optimal settings for things like Scan Mode and such.

One other thing, use the longest-range Sonar, because OHHH MY GOSH it's fun to see your UNAC track a target around the corner before you can even see them in scan mode with a recon up. It's also pretty useful on more open maps, since your UNAC will often spot the enemy before you do. A quaint little "ENEMY AC SPOTTED, MIDDLEWEIGHT BIPED. ENGAGING." is extra helpful too.

Also, I want to stress that Maxing out your UNAC isn't really necessary. I'll point out what I have maxed, but a lot of my UNAC stats were just boosted via Op File Expansion.
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

Sul Incasune
Has anyone made progress understanding what the stat modification taps in the operator roll over UNAC's do yet? I've noticed that moving the scan mode stat to the right does indeed force the UNAC into scan mode during combat.
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

thirteen37
I got shield usage working on a UNAC last night, it wasn't using the shield at all regardless of logic... then I made it the leftmost chip in the order and it worked properly. Must have been that the competing gun was meeting its conditions first and taking priority over the shield.
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

Quarter_Tilt
Quarter Tilt
My UNACs are tuned to boost as often as possible for the energy output of the generators they use. If I crank the evasion tab, they begin to stress the generator too much. I'm guessing the tabs just increase/decrease the threshold values for those logic trees.

I strongly suggest commanding UNACs from the ground, though. The biggest advantage that human players have is the ability to stay in formation and work as a team, and the way the UNACs bunch up around human commanders is something similar to proper teamwork.
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

Sash
AC Forum Admin
Wolf Pack
Sash X64
Quarter_Tilt wrote
I strongly suggest commanding UNACs from the ground, though. The biggest advantage that human players have is the ability to stay in formation and work as a team, and the way the UNACs bunch up around human commanders is something similar to proper teamwork.
Yeah, I tend to just chill out with Robosash and break off to attack targets fleeing robosash's attacks.

Oh, here's me fighting my UNAC...

Reply | Quote | Edit |  

thirteen37
I tend to use output generators, so I regulate the AC's movement with EN thresholds rather than usage intervals.

It bounces off of 60% EN for regular boosting, 40% for important evasion, kicking and weapon fire can take it down to 10% etc.
Reply | Quote | Edit |  

thirteen37
I've taken the Movement chips off of a couple of tanks recently, and they're performing much better for it.

They'll patrol around or follow the UNAC commander in the opening part of a sortie, but once they've sighted an enemy, they grow roots and start shooting. More importantly they'll get their stationary turning bonus... hitting with rail cannon all the way out to 500 range, pulse cannon up close, and no way on earth to flank the thing.