10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Weak Spawn Zone method

Sven Nietzsche
This post was updated on .
Intro:
Weak spawn zones are vastly important tools that one must use to create a sucessfull map in Halo's forge in being able to manipulate and direct gameplay to your bidding further enhancing the players expirience.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Three Zone method
This is my theory and method that I apply to my maps which I believe greatly affect gameplay positively.

-Objective/Base Zone
-Offensive Zone
-Arsenal Zone

(Objective/ Base Zone)
--This is the main zone and contains at least 3/4ths of your initial spawns and regular spwans.
--Zone should encompass and slightly jut out of your base.
----This will prevent teamates most recently killed in an enemy offensive to spawn inside the base for an easy counter attack and will instead spawn in either the offensive or arsenal zones.

(Offensive Zone)
--This will be the least used spawn zone of the group.  It should contain no Initial spawns and enough spawns to spawn 1/2 of the team.
--should be placed in a foward position preferably in a pre-chokepoint or pre-middle ground area.
----this provides a sort of "reienforcement" spawn on a push.
--should contain some "push" weapons

(Arsenal Zone)
--These are last ditch spawns "back to the wall"  if you will.  Should contain 1/4th of initial spawns and 3/4 regular spawns.
--Contains most if not all shared Power weapons and a variety of small arms.
--Zone should be placed in a position such that a counter attack is feasable or to intercept an objective route.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uses

-Player Movement, Orientation and Area Introduction
----Helps promote exploration throughout battle and rewards teamwork.  For example when the enemy controls certian zones  of the map you are spawned in different locations thus showing more of the map off.

-Game Direction
----When the enemy controls for example your Flag zone and is taking your flag,  you will spawn in a supplementary spawn zone that can potentially arm you with somthing to deal with the situation.  With that you can control how hard or easy it is to capture an objective.

This is a very rough draft of my theory,  im open to all sugestions!
Reply | Threaded
|

JonnyOThan's write up on spawns

Jonzorz 124
Hey man we were talking about this last night, I figured I would shoot you the write up along with the link.

This is not my own, nor do I claim it to be my own.

JonnyOThan writes:

"Basic Setup
The spawning system is made up of two components: Spawn Points and Spawn Influencers. Players may only ever spawn at a Spawn Point. Spawn Influencers affect which spawn point a player will spawn at.

Spawn Points
There are two kinds of Spawn Points: Initial Spawn Points and Respawn Points. Initial Spawn Points are used at the beginning of a round. Respawn Points are used after a player has died once. If there are no available Initial Spawn Points then Respawn Points may be used instead.

Respawn Influencers
There are 3 kinds of Respawn Influencers that you can place in Forge: Respawn Zone, Weak Respawn Zone, and Anti Respawn Zone. All Respawn Influencers only affect the team that they belong to, or all teams if they belong to the neutral team.

Other factors in-game may create temporary influencers that you have no control over. For example, an ally player near a spawn point creates a weak positive influence, and an enemy player creates a medium negative influence. This is not the full list of things that create spawning influence.

A Respawn Zone is so powerful that it will always force players from that team to spawn at points inside of it. A Weak Respawn Zone is about as powerful as a nearby ally, and an Anti Respawn zone is equal in strength to the Weak Respawn Zone but in the negative direction. Stacking multiple Weak and Anti Zones on top of each other has no effect, unless there is a (strong) Respawn Zone covering the area as well.

All types of respawn influencers only affect the team that owns them (or all teams/players if they belong to neutral).

Non-neutral influencers do not affect FFA spawning, except in FFA gametypes with fake teams like Infection and Juggernaut. In Infection, humans are Red Team and zombies are Blue Team. In Juggernaut, the juggernaut is blue team and everyone else is red team.

Overlapping Zones
Using only Weak and Anti zones together can never have an effect greater than one single Weak or Anti zone. They DO cancel each other out though.

Weak + Anti = 0
Weak + Weak = Weak
Anti + Anti = Anti

UNLESS...
there is already a strong zone in the same area. Then they combine as you would expect:

Strong + Weak > Strong
Strong + Weak + Weak > Strong + Weak
Strong + Anti < Strong
Strong + Anti + Anti < Strong + Anti

And finally, two strong zones don't ever combine.

Setup Suggestions
NOTE: these are just suggestions - they don't work in all types of maps!

It's generally best practice to use the neutral team for all respawn points, and set Initial Spawns to a specific team. If you place an Initial Spawn near Respawn Points, then you'll only need one Initial Spawn - the first player to spawn there will cause his teammates to spawn nearby.

If your map is medium to large and symmetric or for an objective gametype, then you might want to cover each side of the map with a respawn zone, one for each team. This way, players in FFA games will be able to use all the spawn points, but players in team games will only spawn on their side.

You can also place weak respawn zones inside bases and bunkers (this approach can be used alone or with the above method) to help players spawn near useful weapons or in fortified positions. The weak zone won't be strong enough to overcome a nearby enemy or dead teammate, so it should remain safe.

Experts Only
You can use overlapping zones to very finely tune your zones by placing a neutral respawn zone over the entire map (which basically just raises the baseline for the whole map), and then loading up different areas with weak and anti zones. You should probably only use this as a last resort if other approaches fail."

Here's the link to his required objects page, thats where this write up came from, it also is what I used to learn how to use invasion labels and pretty much all labeling for that matter. Enjoy :)

http://www.bungie.net/fanclub/forgeworld/Group/Resources/MultipleEntryDisplay.aspx?db=ArticleListingDisplay
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: JonnyOThan's write up on spawns

Kittenpaste Company
This hasn't been covered directly anywhere, to my knowledge. Even here or that link.

Respawn Zone Away and Home for CTF. These can be set to items like hills, much like Invasion Spawn zones. In Invasion, these zones don't need respawn points within them. Is the same true for the CTF type? Also, what is the weighting on this? Is it strong, holding all power and outweighing respawn weak zones on the map. Is it acting as a weak zone, thus not holding greater power over other weak zones? Does it even have weighting at all? I can't see a good reason to use it if any of those hold true but I'd really like the teams to gain certain advantages when their flag is taken. As it is now, I want the team to spawn there only when the flag is taken. I'm assuming that, if it has its own weighting (unaffected by anything) and DOES require spawn points be placed, I can place an anti over the area to keep players from spawning on those points until their flag is taken. That would be nice if something actually worked the way I wanted it from the start. :v
.:and sometimes when we touch-our shields blow out like dust-then I feel your armor on my thigh:.
.:I wanna take you in my 'hind-when I'm slicked with some KY-so I close my eyes 'til the Sangheili's insiiiiiide:.

Sick of useless people.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Weak Spawn Zone Theory

The Ardly374
In reply to this post by Sven Nietzsche
@Sven

You've done what many others here have begun to do, and misused the word "theory." What you posted is a method, a good method, but a method nonetheless.

With O'Than's new write up for how the Zones work (which contradicts his original post at multiple points), you may want to revise it. I wrote my article on it based off of his original post, and couldn't help but wonder why the tests came out inaccurate, but, with the misinformation, I can see now how that was.
OMGIWROTEABLOGZFORFORGE. But seriously, if you need help with your Forge Chops, hit up the Forge 2.0 Handbook at http://forge-life.blogspot.com, and Follow ForgeLife on Twitter
Reply | Threaded
|

Doc1777
In reply to this post by Sven Nietzsche
Interesting I could use this on my map.
GT: Doc1777
Doc's Portfolio
Reply | Threaded
|

III Tribal
Apologies for necro-bumping, but I'm interested in perfecting this aspect of map creation. In particular, I'm wondering about the following (mentioned by Kittenpaste above) :
"ctf_res_zone" - respawn zone which is active when your team's flag is at home
"ctf_res_zone_away" - respawn zone which is active whne your team's flag is not at home
Does anyone actually use these? It seems they could be combined with the method you describe above to create highly controlled spawning systems in objective games.

Reply | Threaded
|

MythicFritz
I've used the ctf_away on larger maps. Most of my smaller 4v4 maps have had enough accessibility that intercepting an enemy flag carrier isn't difficult with normal spawning. But my larger maps needed it to give the teams a fair chance in returning their objective.

I don't know the weighting of the zone in relation to the others in either away or home situations, but I just know that it's worked well on the maps I've used it on. I believe it was Hardcorehero's recent map Dynasty that I helped him set up ctf_away zones on if you want to take a look at an example.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hardcore Hero
MythicFritz wrote
I've used the ctf_away on larger maps. Most of my smaller 4v4 maps have had enough accessibility that intercepting an enemy flag carrier isn't difficult with normal spawning. But my larger maps needed it to give the teams a fair chance in returning their objective.

I don't know the weighting of the zone in relation to the others in either away or home situations, but I just know that it's worked well on the maps I've used it on. I believe it was Hardcorehero's recent map Dynasty that I helped him set up ctf_away zones on if you want to take a look at an example.
wow, im glad i took a look here. The map your refering to is "Deity" and i never quite got it to work, those respawn zones were completely ignored.

I want my money back!

jk
Gamertag: HARDCOR3 H3RO

Checkout my Fileshare

Reply | Threaded
|

MythicFritz
Deity right! Sorry Hardcore. And unfortunately all sales are final.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hardcore Hero
lol, i wonder what i did wrong though. . .
Gamertag: HARDCOR3 H3RO

Checkout my Fileshare